• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying a leg of lamb

powerdog

How much is your lamb per pound.   The original question you posted was 

Does it make much difference whether you buy a leg of lamb in a supermarket or a high-end butcher?

I think the clear answer is yes, there should be a significant difference between the best lamb you can buy and what your average grocery store would carry.  But, that doesn't mean it's not going to be good.  I am sure it will be as,  it's clear a lot of time and thought is going into making your evening a special one.. Good luck and take some pics! 

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Yes, that is our Rand p/kg converted to your US $ p/pound. And yes the wine is good.

All this said, the price of lamb is far cheaper in the large supermarkets, but I am very hesitant to purchase any meat in the supermarkets as there is no way to determine the region it comes from, how long it has been in their distribution centers or how long it has been in the supermarkets cold room. I have seen too many supermarket "butchers" with their little meat scrapers cleaning cut meat to make it look fresh in the display!

John.

Wow. That sounds scary!

New Zealand lamb has always been frozen when it reaches the UK, although it's often sold after thawing. It's not bad. The Welsh and English lamb at the supermarket tastes pretty good, and is somewhat better. My posh butcher's lamb shanks taste no better than supermarket lamb. I mainly buy mutton or hoggett from the butcher if I'm buying sheep meat.

I'm waiting for the outcome of this story. Need pics!

. I mainly buy mutton or hoggett from the butcher if I'm buying sheep meat.

You can still buy mutton in the UK?  We had it all the time when I was a kid but I don't think most butchers in the US even know what mutton is now.

What's hoggett?

. I mainly buy mutton or hoggett from the butcher if I'm buying sheep meat.

You can still buy mutton in the UK?  We had it all the time when I was a kid but I don't think most butchers in the US even know what mutton is now.

What's hoggett?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb_and_mutton#Classifications_and_nomenclature

As for mutton, aren't there any halal butchers around your parts, if the meat is not available from your local butcher or Western supermarket? ("We had it all the time when I was a kid")  Toronto has multiple halal butchers, although perhaps not just down the block from you... (see here and here too) (NB: "Mutton" can mean either mature sheep meat or mature GOAT meat (or both) depending on who is speaking and the cultural/geographical background of the person)

(In Indiana and surrounding area there are several sheep/lamb farms which supply local restaurants as well as the larger market(s) and also turn up at the Farmers' Markets around the area)

Edited by huiray (log)

My mother served us mutton a few times when we were growing up (central California), and talked about having eaten it fairly often when she was growing up (southern Florida). My sense has been that mutton, with its stronger flavor, has fallen out of fashion in the USA over the last few generations. I haven't seen any in our grocery stores or butcher shops in northeastern Minnesota, nor have I seen it offered by the lamb producers who come to the farmer's markets. I have to admit I haven't asked about it, either, so maybe I've just overlooked it. I'll check around this summer.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Great British Menu, one of my most favorite show,

in the past had Mutton.

it did well in the judging.

but one must remember,  selling Now  gets your money in the bank  $$

keeping the animals longer does not improve your Bank Account nor your place on the Big Board Over All.

I checked out the lamb in our preferred supermarket, Shaw's. The plastic wrap on the boneless leg of lamb says it's a U.S. product, all natural, and it's $7 a pound. The pieces are about 4-5 lb. each, which seems ample but I'm sure there's a lot less after it's roasted.