• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Anna N

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2014)

574 posts in this topic

they look delicious!

in other, unrelated news, I'm all of a sudden hungry for some reason.

1 person likes this

Stack of books wedding cake from today.  I think the couple are teachers.

bookcake.JPG

9 people like this

What oven temperature should these beauties be baked at.?  Anxious to try them and thanks for sharing.

Yikes!  I somehow missed putting the temperature in!  Thanks so much.  I correct the recipe, but it's 350 degrees!

Stack of books wedding cake from today.  I think the couple are teachers.

That is really nice.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

That is really nice.

Thanks, I'm glad it's over. Hectic week, got sick.  But, it all came together.

Trying a new recipe today for The Imploding Honey Custard Cake.  

I seem to have over baked it a bit - it doesn't have the oozy interior it should - I think 2 minutes less would have worked.  It's not sweet at all - and it's a bit dry the way it is - so I think a bit of fruit coulis on it would make the difference.

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

That sounds pretty tasty Kerry. Is the honey flavor forward enough to be obvious?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

DSC_4970_zps16b35db2.jpg

10177242_633298200086774_893702414876949

'Orange caramel' entremet. The layers are: Almond sponge base, topped with roasted pistachio nut and caramelised puffed rice in hazelnut praline, surrounded by orange mousse with a caramel creme brulee layer, covered with a dark chocolate glaze.

Delicious!

7 people like this

A fraisier to enjoy after the Easter meal.

image.jpg

9 people like this

It is - but not so sweet as to be cloying.  

Gonna have to try it.

Made banana cookies from Martha Stewart's website http://www.marthastewart.com/338169/banana-walnut-chocolate-chunk-cookies

My son loved them. I didn't use any nuts and added some caramelized white chocolate. For my taste, I'd lower sugar a bit, pulse the oatmeal, add walnuts and dark chocolate chunks. And bake just 6 at the time freezing the rest.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I made these again. This time I used the pressured cooked bananas from chefsteps (drained, mine didn't hold their shape, taste very good anyway) and added toasted walnuts and chocolate chips

image.jpg

Very different. Banana flavor less pronounced, less like cake more crunch. I prefer them.

1 person likes this

I made these again. This time I used the pressured cooked bananas from chefsteps (drained, mine didn't hold their shape, taste very good anyway) and added toasted walnuts and chocolate chips

Very different. Banana flavor less pronounced, less like cake more crunch. I prefer them.

Franci, they look delicious!

First fraisier of the season.  This one contains rhubarb as well.

Fraisier rhubarbe.jpg

Muscat-soaked génoise

Rhubarb cream

Gariguette strawberries

Roasted rhubarb stripes

Use very ripe strawberries and you get a fantastic result.  I'll post the recipe later.

12 people like this

Raspberry Mousse Cake

Raspberry Mousse.jpg

10 people like this

The recipe for the Rhubarb Fraisier is up.  Find it here.

2 people like this

Made this one up:  Roasted Rhubarb tart with Ginger Pastry Cream.  It was delicious!   I roasted a mix of red and green stalks from the garden (per Dorie Greenspan only I used less sugar).  Steeped milk with a lot of fresh chopped ginger, then used in pastry cream. 

IMG_1008.JPG

4 people like this

image.jpg

Flourless chocolate cake from Elizabeth David. Not sure what possessed me. I don't "do" cakes but there it is and quite tasty too.

5 people like this

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

At work I make these cakes all the time, the first one is a Chocolate mocha cake:

mocha cake 2.jpg

This cake is our Chocolate ridiculous Cake: Chocolate cake, Rich chocolate pudding filling, Chocolate buttercream, Chocolate Ganache Glaze.

crd.jpg

8 people like this

image.jpg

Unplanned banana bread. I was about to freeze the ripened bananas. I checked the fridge and the sour cream was approaching its best before date. I had not yet put away the butter from another project so it seemed the universe was pushing me to bake banana bread. Sometimes it's wise to obey.

5 people like this

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      Small stracciatella cheesecake with fruit.

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a dessert which I prepared for the beginning of the holiday. The last school tests are behind us, the school reports received, the suitcases almost packed, so now it is time for a reward. My little stracciatella cheesecake isn't that healthy, but sometimes we can overlook one small culinary peccadillo. After all, it is supposed to be a reward. For sure it was light as air, fluffy and melted in the mouth. And the pieces of the dark chocolate were so nice and crunchy. Try it yourself and like me you will fall in love with this dessert.

Ingredients (17cm cake tin)
      100g of oatcakes
      50g of butter
      250g of mascarpone cheese
      200g of 30% sweet cream
      100g of white chocolate
      100g of dark chocolate
      fruit for decoration

Put the cookies in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin, and then put them into a small bowl and mix them with the melted butter. Cover a cake tin with the dough. Leave it in the fridge for an hour. Melt the white chocolate in a bain-marie and leave to cool down. Break the dark chocolate into small pieces. Whisk the cream and then add the mascarpone cheese. Add the white and dark chocolate and stir it gingerly and thoroughly. Put the mixture on the bottom with the oatcakes and leave in the fridge overnight. Decorate with your favourite fruit.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Cheesecake muffins

Ingredients (6 muffins)
      1 lemon jelly
      10 big strawberries
      200g of vanilla fromage frais
      grated skin from half a lemon

Dissolve the jelly in 250ml of hot water. Leave to cool down (not to set). Wash the strawberries, remove the shanks and blend them. Mix half of the jelly with the strawberries. Put it into the silicon pastry cases. Leave it to set in the fridge. Mix the rest of the jelly with the vanilla fromage frais. Put it on the strawberry jelly. Leave it to set in the fridge. Immerse the silicon pastry case in hot water for a while to get the dessert out of the dish.

Enjoy your meal!

• By MelissaH
      I was catching up on my blog reading, and hit a post about icebox cakes. I've only ever made one icebox cake in my life, and it was delicious, using the classic chocolate wafers and whipped cream but flavored with Red Bird peppermint puffs. (I got the recipe from an article about the company that makes the candy.) Anyway, while the blog post itself was interesting, the first comment (at least as I currently see it) caught my attention, because it described a Mexican icebox cake that looked very different to me because it didn't use whipped cream. The commenter called this icebox cake a carlota de limón, and described it as being made from maria cookies, lime juice, and sweetened condensed milk. I adore limes!

So...I can find recipes on line, but has anyone made this cake before? Do you have a tried-and-true recipe that you'd be willing to share? Please?

Thanks!
    • By Kasia
      As usual during the weekend I prepared a cake. This time it was a strawberry shortbread cake with blancmange and crumble topping. Everything fit together nicely. I think that this cake could be excellent with more sour fruit. Cherries, redcurrants or plums come to mind. I have to realize this idea.

The idea for this cake comes from www.moniamieszaigotuje.blogspot.com.

Ingredients:
      dough
      0.5 kg of flour
      1 teaspoon of baking powder
      200g of sugar
      200g of butter
      1 egg
      1 egg yolk
      3 tablespoons of cream
      blancmange
      2 packets of powdered blancmange
      0.75 ml of milk
      3 tablespoons of sugar
      additional ingredients
      strawberries

Heat the oven up to 180 degrees C.
      Put the flour on a baking board, make a large dimple in the flour and put the other ingredients of the dough inside it. Chop it all up with a knife. When you have the consistency of crumble topping, you have to knead the dough quickly. Divide the dough into two parts – 2/3 and 1/3. Cover the pieces of the dough with plastic wrap and put them into the freezer. Prepare the thick blancmange. Stir the blancmange powder in 250ml of milk and the sugar. Cook the rest of the milk. Take the milk off the heat and pour the blancmange mixture into it. Boil for a while, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat. Clean the strawberries and remove the shanks. Cut the bigger strawberries in half. Grate the bigger part of the dough onto a baking sheet. Put the hot blancmange onto it. Arrange the strawberries on the blancmange and grate the rest of the dough onto the top. Bake for 50 minutes.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia

I prepared two versions: the first one with desiccated coconut and blueberries and the second with dark chocolate and strawberries. Choose your favorite dessert or go crazy and make your own version.

Bright dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of white chocolate
      100g of blueberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese
      2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut

Melt 150g of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8 cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the white chocolate and the desiccated coconut and stir thoroughly. Wash the blueberries and drain them. Put the first chocolate circles onto a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of blueberries and once again chocolate, cream and blueberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. 
      Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

Dark dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of cocoa
      a couple of strawberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese

Melt 150g of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the dark chocolate and the cocoa and stir thoroughly. Wash the strawberries and remove the shanks. Leave 3-4 nice bits of fruit for decoration, and cut the rest into small pieces. Put the first chocolate circles on a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of strawberry pieces and then once again chocolate, cream and strawberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.