• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2014)

Anna N

DSC_4970_zps16b35db2.jpg

10177242_633298200086774_893702414876949

'Orange caramel' entremet. The layers are: Almond sponge base, topped with roasted pistachio nut and caramelised puffed rice in hazelnut praline, surrounded by orange mousse with a caramel creme brulee layer, covered with a dark chocolate glaze.

Delicious!

I love the wow factor of this cake.  May I ask where did the recipe come from, is it something I can look up?

• Like 3

Oh, I like this tropezienne much more than the traditional.

I made some simple GF cookies

Thanks!  In general, I find the idea of a tropézienne much more alluring than what you normally get from a bakery- what could be better than brioche and vanilla?  Unfortunately they tend to be bland and stodgy.  

Your cookies look good, but what are GF (girlfriend?) cookies?

Thanks!  In general, I find the idea of a tropézienne much more alluring than what you normally get from a bakery- what could be better than brioche and vanilla?  Unfortunately they tend to be bland and stodgy.  

Your cookies look good, but what are GF (girlfriend?) cookies?

I don't have a good memory of the last tropezienne I ate...I cannot tolerate whipped cream very well, so I like a lot your lemon version. I'm sure you mentioned it before, in what consists your advanced pastry cream.

For the cookies, GF stands for gluten free but I should say grain free, since I used arrowroot, tapioca and coconut flour. It's interesting baking with these ingredients.

I don't have a good memory of the last tropezienne I ate...I cannot tolerate whipped cream very well, so I like a lot your lemon version. I'm sure you mentioned it before, in what consists your advanced pastry cream.

For the cookies, GF stands for gluten free but I should say grain free, since I used arrowroot, tapioca and coconut flour. It's interesting baking with these ingredients.

They look good- you wouldn't think that they were gluten and grain free.  

The cream I used for the Tropézienne was adapted from Philippe Conticini's Millefeuille recipe, and I posted about it here.

Today I was asked to make a dessert for a party, so I made an updated version of a classic Damson Tart.

Tarte aux quetches.jpg

Pâte sucrée

Roasted damson crémeux

Sacher chocolate sponge soaked in a muscovado and Slivovice syrup

Golden syrup Italian meringue

Microplaned tonka and vanilla bean

It was supposed to have a spiced Chantilly instead of the meringue.  I think my local Monoprix is defrauding me- 15 minutes whipping the cream over an ice bath and it stayed resolutely liquid.  Bah.

Edited by jmacnaughtan (log)
  • Like 11

No pictures  but my  2 year old daughter and I baked cake, sponge cake with  grated marzipan and  cinnamon sugar on top, it was slightly to long in the oven so the crust got hard but it  was yummy with apple sauce and  whipped yoghurt  for dessert.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

20141009_180627_zps037f6bef.jpg

I made a surprise birthday cake for my neighbour since she will be neglected by her family on her birthday tomorrow.   It bramble  jam and  vanilla custard  as the filling, standard  white cake bottom cake  ( got to love that name) and whipped cream, bramble  and crushed oatmeal cookies on the side. Not the pretties but lactose free   dairy cream is really hard to work with.

• Like 11

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

It looks gorgeous to me, CatPoet...eminently edible.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

We've been showcasing a number of sweet apple dishes, (and a few savory dishes too), here at our Apple Cook-Off........

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/149304-eg-cook-off-67-apples/page-4

• Like 1

A rather simple Buttermilk Pancake with a filling of clotted cream ice cream cut with a strawberry compote peppered with a hint of Szechuan pepper and dressed with Vanilla Cream......accompanied with a bottle of Prosecco.....off camera ;)

IMG_0134-1.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 12

A rather simple Buttermilk Pancake with a filling of clotted cream ice cream cut with a strawberry compote peppered with a hint of Szechuan pepper and dressed with Vanilla Cream......accompanied with a bottle of Prosecco.....off camera ;)

IMG_0134-1.jpg

NICE!!