• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2014)

Anna N

I had another go with the Victoria Sponge, and this one's a lot better.  Lighter, fresher, generally just tastes better.  I'll try it once more as a full-size entremet though.

Victoria Individual.jpg

Victoria sponge cake

Strawberry confit

Molten (extremely soft set) raw peach compote

Roasted apricot mousse

Apricot glaze

Apricot

Victoria Individual Cut.jpg

• Like 11

Surprisingly enough, I didn't change the recipe at all- it was more the ratio of sponge to the other components.  Cutting it back to a half-centimeter layer (the whole cake here was no more than around a couple of inches high, and the entremet was 2cm of cake for 4.5cm total) meant that it didn't dominate the fruit.

I may still tinker with the recipe though, it was still a little dense for my liking.  Maybe that's unavoidable when it's frozen...

I would like an entire flock of those sheep please, they are adorable.  Imagine pre-dyed wool!  And the lacy cake is stunning.  You are a true artist.

OMG, Elizabeth! Those are the cutest things ever!! I second IowaDee – I would like an entire flock of those.  :wub:  Are those pretzel stick legs?

I'd bet they'd ship quite well from Ecuador to Iowa and Vancouver, via priority courier.  I can make them in polymer clay instead, if you want them to be more permanent than pastillage.  How many sheep do y'all figure are in a flock?

They are indeed pretzel stick legs.  Most of my sugar art is 100% edible, no wire frame ligatures or anything.  They're about 1.5 to 2 oz each in total weight - I had to roll the fondant extra thick and let it dry completely so that it would support the weight of the flock; they're anchored with simple Royal.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I made   almond and yogurt  fairy cakes and to make them even more fairy cake like, I by mistake flavoured them with Fairy washing up liquid....  Yeap bin fodder .  The silicon cases  I was using apparently is soaked in washing up liquid and we dont know why or how.  They been  rinsed  6 times now and they still foams...

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

So I made new almond fairy cakes and this time  without  washing up liquid.  They are so yummy, buttery , toffee  goodness in a little package.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

So I made new almond fairy cakes and this time  without  washing up liquid.  They are so yummy, buttery , toffee  goodness in a little package.

Congratulations on getting your molds clean! :-D

I'm curious about an almond fairy cake with toffee notes. Is this a recipe you can share?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Almond fairy cakes.

75 gram of butter

½ cup sugar

1 large egg

1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

½ cup flour

½cup almond flour

1 teaspoon of baking powder

1/8 teaspoon of baking soda

½ cup of greek yogurt

2 tablespoon of honey

1 or 2 dropp almond extract

Preheat the oven to 350 C

Get out  12 cupcake (fairy cake) casins or  cupcake tray.

Whisk sugar butter and egg smooth.

Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, almond flour and stir into the  egg butter mix.  Add the yogurt, vanilla, honey and almon extract and whisk smooth.

Pour into the cups, half fill the cups. Bake for 25- 30 min.

This doesnt become high domed fairycakes, they are rather flatt, I gott 11 and not 12. But the  flavour is ace.

There is recommned to have a  whipped butter cream topping with toasted walnuts or almonds to it but I love them as they are.

Oh and they 1970 style so they are small, which is great in my world.
  • Like 2

I made a batch of flapjacks.  They wouldn't all fit in the biscuit box, so I wrapped the extra couple of pieces in foil.

2014-07-31%2005.02.34.jpg

Basic ratio 3:3:4, sugar:butter:rolled/porridge oats.

Sugar - 8oz soft brown + 1oz golden syrup

Butter 9oz

Oats 12oz

pinch of salt

I added sliced almonda and leftover broken cashews, chopped sultanas and chopped dried apricots.  When I opened the bag of apricots they said "chocolate" very clearly, so I added 2oz milk chocolate to the melted butter/sugar mix.  Next time I'd take an ounce or an ounce and a half out of the butter quantity to compensate, as the flapjack ended up a bit greasy underneath, but the little bit of chocolate works really well in the caramel.  Which is ironic since the apricots that invited it disappeared, flavour-wise.  They're in there and they're chewy, but their apricotness isn't assertive.

Baked at 170C, in the end i think it was 35 minutes.  Anyway, watching the colour and the state of the caramel to take them out so's they'll be nice & chewy.  The tray being 20cm x 25cm (8" x 10"), they ended up about 3/4" thick.   So I need a bigger tray to get the 1/2" I was aiming for.

Edited by Blether (log)
  • Like 3

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

It's going to be a bountiful season, very hot weather the past two weeks and expected to continue for at least another week. First dish, Huckleberry Turnover-

IMG_2095.JPG

• Like 5

After reading about making homemade animal crackers/cookies, I had it stuck in my head so splurged on some nice plunger cookie cutters from amazon and made vanilla/oat, from King Arthur Flour, and chocolate cookies, from Sweetapolita blog. Thanks to whoever brought up that subject!

oats animals.jpg

choco animals.jpg

• Like 12

image.jpg

The summer torte from Ann_T's blog. The raspberries in the grocery store looked stellar and I have wanted to make this again for ages and ages. It is so simple and so good.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Not sure it counts as Sweets - but in preparation for the Eggfest on Sunday I'm playing with some recipes.

IMG_1511.jpg

Cornbread using Cook's Illustrated recipe.  Didn't have any frozen corn kernels - figured chunks of cheddar would sub.

• Like 4

is this the recent Test # 1420 ?

" Best ( sic: pretty good ) BBQ'd Chicken and Cornbread "

I sure do have my eye on that C.B.

I figure, knowing nothing about it, that this might be made 'any-time' w Fz bagged Corn ?

is this what you used ?

Nope - old recipe from CI.  I need to test the one that Shelby did a while back - I think that would be the perfect one for eggfest but need to find the link.

• Like 1

Nope - old recipe from CI.  I need to test the one that Shelby did a while back - I think that would be the perfect one for eggfest but need to find the link.

Any chance it's this one? It doesn't come from CI, but Shelby linked it and noted that it's a savory cornbread: http://cakewalkr.com/kicked-up-cornbread/

Shelby's discussion, with photos, are around here in the Dinner! topic: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/148424-dinner-2014-part-3/?p=1971163 and here, in the Cornbread topic: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/11136-cornbread-merged-topic/?p=1976314. I provide both links in case one jogs your memory and the other doesn't. If neither jogs your memory, then the search continues. :-)

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Any chance it's this one? It doesn't come from CI, but Shelby linked it and noted that it's a savory cornbread: http://cakewalkr.com/kicked-up-cornbread/

Shelby's discussion, with photos, are around here in the Dinner! topic: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/148424-dinner-2014-part-3/?p=1971163 and here, in the Cornbread topic: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/11136-cornbread-merged-topic/?p=1976314. I provide both links in case one jogs your memory and the other doesn't. If neither jogs your memory, then the search continues. :-)

That's the one I want to try next - actually might just use the recipe I made today but with those additions.

• Like 1

That's a beautiful-looking pie, David Ross. Have you posted the recipe before? I don't have access to huckleberries, but I'd love to produce a crust that looks like that.

I made a  cinnamon cake, it would have been lovely except it smell rank.  I mean old socks after it came out of the oven.