• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2014)

Anna N

Blueberry lemon muffins.  Tossed the fresh blueberries with 3 Tbsp of Johnnybird's toast dope.  Not sweet at all which is how we like it around here: 1/2 cup of sugar to 2 cups of flour.

Next up is a recipe for lemon, blueberry and olive oil cake and a key lime pie NOT made with evaporated milk so John can eat it.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Blueberry lemon muffins.  Tossed the fresh blueberries with 3 Tbsp of Johnnybird's toast dope.  Not sweet at all which is how we like it around here: 1/2 cup of sugar to 2 cups of flour.

I just had to google "Johnnybird's toast dope". And now I feel like I've been missing out! This is what happens when you spend all your time in the baking forums...

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I so want   rot month to be over so  I can start baking  treats again! I have a list of what to make when it gets  colder   YumYums,  Whirls,  Custard fairycakes,  Quark cake, crumpets  and Easy peanuts biscuits. 

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I just had to google "Johnnybird's toast dope". And now I feel like I've been missing out! This is what happens when you spend all your time in the baking forums...

Indeed - the stuff is gold!

• Like 1

CatPoet.. I had never heard of Rot month before,  had to google it.  I find it fascinating the beliefs different cultures have about food.   Do most people in Sweden still observe rot month  even with refrigeration these days? 

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Some do, does who eat organic most often do. Rot month isnt a set time, but it comes most often around august , it is when the heat and humidity peaks and we end up with algae  blooms, everything seams to mold faster then you can say Bob, veggies goes bad and it is the peak season  of food poising.

Most often it is over in 14   to 20 days , not fun.  Even with fridges  veggies  goes bad  during this time, it seams that they over grow or something.  I talked to one of the growers and even she said nothing can be stored at the moment . It is different all over Sweden  when it hits and how hard it hits. 

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

emmalish – blush, blush!  I’m honored!  And you must try Toast Dope!  I always have a jar in the fridge.  I haven’t made regular old cinnamon toast for 7 years!

pjm – gorgeous biscotti!  I was especially drawn to the chocolate ones.  Any chance you’d share the recipe?

On Friday my sister and niece took off driving to Washington State.   I made some treats for the cross country trip – Dream cookies:

med_gallery_3331_119_55556.jpg

And my oatmeal cookies:

med_gallery_3331_119_31937.jpg

Also some granola clusters:

med_gallery_3331_119_129933.jpg

For Mr. Kim’s office picnic on Saturday, I made a brown sugar pound cake:

med_gallery_3331_119_191869.jpg

Then on Sunday I made a chocolate chip coffee cake for coffee hour at church:

med_gallery_3331_119_113697.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_146639.jpg

Both were very popular.  

• Like 6

Kim.  The dream cookies, arent inspired of Swedish recipe?  Just wonder   because when I google they come up as Swedish.

emmalish – you are so kind.  Here is the recipe for Dream Cookies:http://http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/COOKIES/Dream_Cookies.html

They are similar to shortbread – very buttery and crisp and I’ve been making them since I was a little girl – about 45 years.  They are our family’s favorite cookies.

CatPoet – see my response to emmalish regarding the cookies.  I looked at some recipes and descriptions of Swedish dream cookies and I don’t think they are the same.  The Swedish ones are light and airy and mine are dense and crisp like shortbread.  I really don’t know where the name for mine came from.  The recipe was in a book from a series of books that my mom got from a grocery store. 

alienor – what a lovely tart!

Dessert last night was Eton mess with blackberries, toasted coconut meringues and lime curd (meringues and curd were purchased):

med_gallery_3331_172_107956.jpg

The blackberries and lime was a very, very good combination!

• Like 2

KimShook: well if you use baking ammonia  the cookies becomes  light and airy and if you dont it become dense.

emmalish – you are so kind.  Here is the recipe for Dream Cookies:http://http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/COOKIES/Dream_Cookies.html

They are similar to shortbread – very buttery and crisp and I’ve been making them since I was a little girl – about 45 years.  They are our family’s favorite cookies.

Thanks Kim! I've pinned it and will be trying soon! By the way, cinnamon chips? I've never seen those before but I'll bet they'd be fantastic. 

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

The recipe is the same as the old time  Dream cookies but not with baking ammonia.

Wow, I'm new and I just scrolled through a bunch of this forum and you guys are really, really, talented. Here are a few pics of some stuff I've worked on.

4th Cupcakes 1.jpgAlcholic Cupcakes.jpgEaster Cake.jpgGears Of War Cake 1.jpgGears Of War Cake 2.jpgPoker Cake 1.jpgPoker Cake 2.jpgRaziel 1.jpgRosette Cake 1.jpgRosette Cake 2.jpg

I'm pretty proud of the Gears of War cake since it was my first attempt at using fondant. My rosette cake ended up melting by the time I got to my destination, guess it was to warm. The Chololate cupcakes had stout beer in the batter, Jack Daniels in the filling, and irish liquor in the frosting.

• Like 7

I've been having fun with gum paste, myself.  The full herd of sheep is 21 (the second ram was commissioned as an anniversary present.) but Kaamilah was turning 3 - this ensured everyone in her class could have one.  

AmaVidaSheep2.jpg

RainbowRams2.jpg

SheepCake3.jpg

SheepCake2.jpg

SheepCake1.jpg

I've also been breaking in my new piping tips….  I sure do love IMBC!

MochaBaroque.jpg

• Like 14

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Elizabeth,

Those sheep are the bees knees! Such talent you have.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a friend who won't tell her age, but we know she's in her mid-90's. I think if she could have a cake like that with 1 sheep per year, she'd be willing to be specific. Those sheep are adorable!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown