• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2014)

Anna N

Stack of books wedding cake from today.  I think the couple are teachers.

That is really nice.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Trying a new recipe today for The Imploding Honey Custard Cake.  

I seem to have over baked it a bit - it doesn't have the oozy interior it should - I think 2 minutes less would have worked.  It's not sweet at all - and it's a bit dry the way it is - so I think a bit of fruit coulis on it would make the difference.

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

That sounds pretty tasty Kerry. Is the honey flavor forward enough to be obvious?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

DSC_4970_zps16b35db2.jpg

10177242_633298200086774_893702414876949

'Orange caramel' entremet. The layers are: Almond sponge base, topped with roasted pistachio nut and caramelised puffed rice in hazelnut praline, surrounded by orange mousse with a caramel creme brulee layer, covered with a dark chocolate glaze.

Delicious!

• Like 7

Made banana cookies from Martha Stewart's website http://www.marthastewart.com/338169/banana-walnut-chocolate-chunk-cookies

My son loved them. I didn't use any nuts and added some caramelized white chocolate. For my taste, I'd lower sugar a bit, pulse the oatmeal, add walnuts and dark chocolate chunks. And bake just 6 at the time freezing the rest.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I made these again. This time I used the pressured cooked bananas from chefsteps (drained, mine didn't hold their shape, taste very good anyway) and added toasted walnuts and chocolate chips

image.jpg

Very different. Banana flavor less pronounced, less like cake more crunch. I prefer them.

• Like 1

I made these again. This time I used the pressured cooked bananas from chefsteps (drained, mine didn't hold their shape, taste very good anyway) and added toasted walnuts and chocolate chips

Very different. Banana flavor less pronounced, less like cake more crunch. I prefer them.

Franci, they look delicious!

First fraisier of the season.  This one contains rhubarb as well.

Fraisier rhubarbe.jpg

Muscat-soaked génoise

Rhubarb cream

Gariguette strawberries

Roasted rhubarb stripes

Use very ripe strawberries and you get a fantastic result.  I'll post the recipe later.

• Like 12

Made this one up:  Roasted Rhubarb tart with Ginger Pastry Cream.  It was delicious!   I roasted a mix of red and green stalks from the garden (per Dorie Greenspan only I used less sugar).  Steeped milk with a lot of fresh chopped ginger, then used in pastry cream. 

IMG_1008.JPG

• Like 4

image.jpg

Flourless chocolate cake from Elizabeth David. Not sure what possessed me. I don't "do" cakes but there it is and quite tasty too.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Unplanned banana bread. I was about to freeze the ripened bananas. I checked the fridge and the sour cream was approaching its best before date. I had not yet put away the butter from another project so it seemed the universe was pushing me to bake banana bread. Sometimes it's wise to obey.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog