• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2014)

Anna N

[Moderator note: The original Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and Baking? topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)]

image.jpg

Yet another command performance. A pan of brownies for my granddaughter's high-school book club meeting. There is nothing at all to recommend these as healthy. They are from the Tartine Bakery book and have 1 lb of high quality Belgium dark chocolate in them. They taste better than the muffins. (I suspect a conspiracy to try to turn me into a baker.)

Edited by Mjx
Host note added. (log)
  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

emmalish – Mr. Kim took some of those chocolate snaps to his office and they evaporated!  Gone almost before he hit send on the notice!

Anna – gorgeous crackly crust on those brownies!  Brownies are my favorite dessert.

New recipe try out today – Chocolate-Coconut Pound Cake:

med_gallery_3331_119_159977.jpg

Slice:

med_gallery_3331_119_20947.jpg

An absolutely beautiful and delicious cake.  The crumb is perfect.  Hard to believe that something this rich has only cocoa in it and no melted chocolate.  We just got home from a dinner of dim sum and dessert at Sweet Frog and I just finished a slice of cake.

• Like 7

emmalish – Mr. Kim took some of those chocolate snaps to his office and they evaporated!  Gone almost before he hit send on the notice!

Kim, I'm so glad to hear they were a success! Did you slice them about 1/4" to get them snappy? I'm going to have to try them again one day.

As for that chocolate-coconut pound cake – any chance you can share that recipe?  :wub:

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

These are similar to the Grancereale Italian cookies. I love them, very different then American cookies, not so sweet and crunchy, with rolled oates, corn flour, whole wheat flour, nuts and raisins.

image.jpg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 4

New recipe try out today – Chocolate-Coconut Pound Cake:

med_gallery_3331_119_159977.jpg

An absolutely beautiful and delicious cake.  The crumb is perfect.  Hard to believe that something this rich has only cocoa in it and no melted chocolate. 

Where can the recipe for this cake be found?

Never mind ... I found it.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Kim, I'm so glad to hear they were a success! Did you slice them about 1/4" to get them snappy? I'm going to have to try them again one day.

As for that chocolate-coconut pound cake – any chance you can share that recipe?  :wub:

I did slice them 1/4" and they were pretty snappy.  I think just a touch under 1/4" would be perfect and since I've decided to make them for that meeting in May, I'll have a chance to test them out.  Also - they froze beautifully!

Here's the recipe for the pound cake: http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/CAKESandPIES/Chocolate-Coconut_Pound_Cake.html

• Like 3

Kim, your breakfast cake looks delicious and might suit my "baking for meetings project". Can you share the recipe?

image.jpg

Honey Almond Squares from David Lebovitz. I used the last of a jar of raw Manitoulin Island honey. OMG these are SO good.

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

These are a re-make of these:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/143987-your-daily-sweets-what-are-you-making-and-baking-2012–2014/?p=1958766

using unflavoured olive oil. Do avoid garlic flavoured olive oil in blueberry muffuns!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

"""  unflavoured olive oil  """

I assume you mean EVOO, not that 'lite' stuff  

:huh:

sooooo  no cinnamon ?

Yes, Extra virgin olive oil. Half have cinnamon, half don't. After much thought and analysis we concluded that the olive oil used for the first batch was indeed a garlic-flavoured oil. In my defense the ingredients were supplied and I DID NOT SMELL THE GARLIC.

My 2004 eG Blog

I made a coconut cake yesterday.  It was a success, but I need to tweak the presentation.

Coconut cake.jpg

This is not a "hit you over the head with massive flavours" cake- it's quite delicate.  Perfect at the end of a rich meal.

Coconut cake interior.jpg

If anybody wants the recipe, I can post it on RecipeGullet.

• Like 7

I made a coconut cake yesterday.  It was a success, but I need to tweak the presentation.

Yes, please post! Not having your skill, I doubt I'll be able to replicate the look of your cake, but at least I would like to try.

image.jpg

Kim,

I was inspired by your coconut chocolate pound cake so made these four minis. Dividing up the batter was obviously challenging as one is much more mini than the others.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifCoconut cake.jpg

This is not a "hit you over the head with massive flavours" cake- it's quite delicate.  Perfect at the end of a rich meal.

attachicon.gifCoconut cake interior.jpg

I quite like the look of it now - but I'm going to attach a link to the way a coconut (with other stuff) cake was decorated in Belgium at a class - maybe you can steal some ideas from it for your presentation.

Here.

I quite like the look of it now - but I'm going to attach a link to the way a coconut (with other stuff) cake was decorated in Belgium at a class - maybe you can steal some ideas from it for your presentation.

Here.

That's a nice looking entremet.  I might have to steal that chocolate half-coconut, the effect is really nice.

• Like 1

not to be a pest, AnnaN, but do you have a digital scale ?

works 'good' for those Apps.

tare the total batter, do some long division, and take out 1/4.  ....

just saying ....

clicking finger imporving ...

not to be a pest, AnnaN, but do you have a digital scale ?

works 'good' for those Apps.

tare the total batter, do some long division, and take out 1/4.  ....

just saying ....

clicking finger imporving ...

Couldn't live without my scale! Converted all the volume measurements before I even started baking! However, I did not weigh the batter which would have required that I also knew the empty weight of the bowl. There is only so far I'm willing to go.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

there is a button on most scales that 'tare'  meaning you put the bowl on and then push a button that that weight is taken into account

and you are back at Zero.  you then go from there. 

is your scale and 'Antique'  ?

:wink:

there is a button on most scales that 'tare'  meaning you put the bowl on and then push a button that that weight is taken into account

and you are back at Zero.  you then go from there. 

is your scale and 'Antique'  ?

:wink:

It's me that meets that definition! As I said....perfection must never get in the way of production!

My 2004 eG Blog