• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)

Anna N

Anna and I were out and about on the weekend - decided at lunchtime that Indian would suit.  Went to the Bombay Grill.  

DSCN3286.jpg

Beer for Anna.

DSCN3287.jpg

Onion bhaji.

DSCN3288.jpg

Mixed breads.

DSCN3290.jpg

Beef Saag, lamb madras curry and mutter paneer as I recall.

• Like 6

My Sumeet needs a bit of repair to get it back to grinding as it should.  Anna and I ran to Markham yesterday to drop it off.  

No trip to that area is complete without visiting the Korean Galleria and J-town.  Lunch was at Niwatei in J-town.  

DSCN3291.jpg

I had tonkotsu ramen.

DSCN3292.jpg

Anna opted for chashu ramen.  

DSCN3293.jpg

Inari and karaage.  

IMG_1616.jpg

An all in one cooker seen at the Korean Galleria.  

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

On Thursday we headed back to our Burlington Bistro on Plains Road.

image.jpg

A Rickard's Red for me while Kerry sipped on a glass of water.

image.jpg

Kerry chose the burger bundle with frites.

image.jpg

I ordered the salmon strudel also with frites.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yesterday we lunched within spitting distance of these two images. Anyone know where we were?

The restaurant was a Japanese place called Taki. We joked that we hoped it wasn't tacky! But we practically had to fight our way past Japanese tourists to get in. Seemed a good omen and so it turned out to be.

image.jpg

Kerry enjoyed tea from this lovely cup

image.jpg

I enjoyed a draft Sapporo.

image.jpg

Shrimp Shu Mai

image.jpg

Calamari karaage (for you, rotuts)

image.jpg

Tempura Platter

image.jpg

Beef Taki

image.jpg

I asked Kerry to take this photograph to show you the chopstick rest. It was so simple and yet so effective. It seemed to be nothing more than a lump of clay into which the Potter had pressed a thumb.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Today we met up with member patris for lunch in Buffalo, New YorK. We can always count on her to find an interesting venue. Today she chose a restaurant called Martin Cooks. We knew we were in for an interesting lunch when Kerry spotted a Thermomix and a Poly Science sous vide set up in the open kitchen.

image.jpg

patris ordered the mushroom rissotto

image.jpg

Kerry selected the shrimp with grits

image.jpg

And I ordered the short ribs

As we finished lunch Kerry went to powder her nose (ladies who lunch frequently do this), I was able to attract the attention of Martin who then came over to chat with us. patris and I tried to keep him engaged until Kerry returned. It was then much fun to watch as Martin and Kerry played a game of "I've got more toys than you!" Before we left the two of them had arranged to meet sometime in November to play with Kerry's rotovap and Martin's centrifuge.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yesterday we lunched within spitting distance of these two images. Anyone know where we were?

How long will we wait before you tell us?  I'd guess "somewhere in Toronto!" but that's pretty vague.  :biggrin:  The Waterpark doesn't ring any bells for me.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5500 Victoria Ave, Niagara Falls, ON L2G 3L2, Canada it seems to be.  The "Waterpark" is across from the restaurant.  One can see the building on Googlemaps.  Views from the windows on the south side upper level of that building, looking across the parapet wall of that "well area"?  (Did they recently renovate those windows?)  There is a two-headed old-style street lamp about the right position - or thereabouts - shortly beyond the parapet edge and "positioned" between the squarish "tower" on the left (eastern point of the Skyline Inn, in front of the Waterpark) and the angled view of the NE end of the Waterpark...?

Edited by huiray (log)

kittycorner to a country inn and suites I have stayed at a few times  , although I always thought it was called Saitoh..  I guess I wasn't paying close attention.   If you are looking for a bit of a hidden gem in Niagara falls, try Bettys restaurant.  Not fancy just well cooked homestyle food, decent prices , less hectic than most restos in the tourist areas of town. 

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Yes. Right in the middle of touristy Niagara Falls. But it was remarkably civilized. We ended up there only because we had an errand in nearby Fort Erie. Ashen, thanks for the recommendation.

My 2004 eG Blog

5500 Victoria Ave, Niagara Falls, ON L2G 3L2, Canada it seems to be.  The "Waterpark" is across from the restaurant.  One can see the building on Googlemaps.  Views from the windows on the south side upper level of that building, looking across the parapet wall of that "well area"?  (Did they recently renovate those windows?)  There is a two-headed old-style street lamp about the right position - or thereabouts - shortly beyond the parapet edge and "positioned" between the squarish "tower" on the left (eastern point of the Skyline Inn, in front of the Waterpark) and the angled view of the NE end of the Waterpark...?

Bull's eye! Don't know anything about renovations.

My 2004 eG Blog

Niagara Falls?

Yes it is. Usually visited only when friends or family arrive from distant planets.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

For our last lunch before heading north

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/149603-falling-back-on-island-time/

we opted for more Asian food as it will be in short supply for the next 3 weeks.

We headed back to Sakai, the Korean/japanese restaurant on Fairview in Burlington.

image.jpg

Kerry's tea

image.jpg

Miso soup

image.jpg

The ubiquitous "Japanese" salad

image.jpg

Beef goolgobi for me

image.jpg

Chicken Karaage for Kerry

image.jpg

We were hoping this "portrait" would make our fortunes if we posted it on eBay. It surely looks like? Marlene Dietrich?

Edited to fix many issues with formatting etc..

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

gfweb beat me to it! :-D

Those serving setups are very cool. They make me think of bento boxes, but they're trays instead. I don't suppose they're called bento trays? Are they lacquerware?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

gfweb beat me to it! :-D

Those serving setups are very cool. They make me think of bento boxes, but they're trays instead. I don't suppose they're called bento trays? Are they lacquerware?

Plastic made to look like lacquer unfortunately.  

As we finished lunch Kerry went to powder her nose (ladies who lunch frequently do this), I was able to attract the attention of Martin who then came over to chat with us. patris and I tried to keep him engaged until Kerry returned. It was then much fun to watch as Martin and Kerry played a game of "I've got more toys than you!" Before we left the two of them had arranged to meet sometime in November to play with Kerry's rotovap and Martin's centrifuge.

Oh, man, I'd love to be there for that playdate!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 4 weeks later...

So we are back in the saddle again! today we revisited Hakka Fresh.

image.jpg

This was the reason for our return visit. This is spicy deep fried cauliflower which we had enjoyed so much on our first visit. Can you believe they changed it? It was still very good but different. We tried to get some forensic shots:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I know Kerry talked to our server about the change and perhaps she will pop in and tell us what she learned

image.jpg

We also had Mongolian beef and

image.jpg

Hakka chicken chop suey.

There were enough leftovers for each of us for another meal.

Edited because I can spell cauliflower and to add the comment about the leftovers.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday Kerry Beal and I went off towards the Asian section of Mississauga looking for stainless steel lunchboxes. Kerry has a new hammer, a freeze dryer, and needed a container to enable her to freeze dry certain ingredients. Serendipitously I had hoped for Ramen for lunch. And so it was that we ended up once again at Kenzo.

image.jpg

Tonkotsu sho-yu for Kerry

image.jpg

Tonkotsu hakata style for me

image.jpg

Sorry but I don't recall the name of this dish. It was tofu of some sort in a sauce. I quite happily surrendered my share to Kerry.

image.jpg

And of course we can never resist takoyaki.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Agedashidofu.

I will happily scarf down multiple orders of this.

Thank you for providing that link. I am so glad we are all different! It wasn't horrible just uninteresting.

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you for providing that link. I am so glad we are all different! It wasn't horrible just uninteresting.

:-)

Mind you, the serving you got (assuming it *was* agedashidofu) had somewhat clunky toppings and not enough shoyu in a too-small and too-shallow dish.  Various restaurants/establishments have variations on how they put together this dish but the ones I enjoy the most are the ones where the tofu is served piping hot (almost scaldingly so) sitting in a shallow pool of just-so-slightly cool shoyu in a semi-deep correctly sized flat-bottomed dish/bowl with toppings of either grated daikon or finely shaved katsuoboshi, usually with some finely sliced scallions as well.  There is an enjoyable contrast of textures and flavors and temperatures all in one small dish and with one bite.** With the proper bowl and the proper temperature of the tofu, a rising heat column above the bowl gets created and when topped with katsuoboshi the shaved fish flakes that are placed on top of the tofu dance and wiggle as if they are alive.  It's a little extra entertainment and adds to the visual appeal - and is a bit startling to someone who has never seen this dish "come alive" in front of him/her before.  I used to enjoy ordering properly-executed agedashidofu for co-diners in this category and watching the look on their faces when they noticed the dancing fish ribbons/flakes. :-D

** But, in anycase, I like tofu so that also factors in.