• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)

Anna N

1 minute ago, Tri2Cook said:

Sometimes the ideas restaurants come up with in the attempt to be zany or different just end up being silly.

I learned that lesson. My one and only visit to the seemingly-popular Swiss Chalet (by request during a family trip) saw me completely ignoring the chicken they're supposed to be known for and ordering a burger instead. I still don't know if their chicken deserves it's following or not but I can attest to the awfulness of that burger. If I ever find myself in their restaurant again, chicken it will be. At least if I still don't enjoy it, it won't be due to my bad decision making.

I have to say that Swiss Chalet is one of the most inconsistent of the chain restaurants. Or perhaps I should say it is becoming consistently intolerable. Used to be the only chain  where I could usually get something edible.   Don't pin your hopes on it.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have to say that Swiss Chalet is one of the most inconsistent of the chain restaurants. Or perhaps I should say it is becoming consistently intolerable. Used to be the only chain  where I could usually get something edible.   Don't pin your hopes on it.

Yeah.  There is was one maybe a mile from our place and it was bad.  I got a frozen pot pie once, limp fries were the norm and when they changed their dressing (stuffing to some) to use whole wheat bread instead of white I finally gave up.  Some things are sacred, at least to me.   It finally closed.  And yet there is another one a few miles further down the road where the food is actually pretty good.  Mostly though, I try my best to stay away from the place.

Edited by ElsieD
Typo (log)

Oh, let me hop on the Swiss Chalet bashing wagon!

My wife convinced me to order from them the other night (first time in years - I have never been huge a fan) and I ordered their ribs, figuring how badly can you screw up ribs....

Well they seemed to want to show me how and managed to overcook the ribs to a point approaching shoe leather, and to boot, a thin piece of what appeared to be either wood or bamboo was on the bottom of the ribs.  Needless to say a phone call was made, after an offer to give us a credit for our next meal (hah!), I suggested a full refund instead (unbeknownst to them it will be our last meal - ever - from Swiss Chalet!).

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I don't really envision a situation where I'll be there again... but I didn't really envision a situation where I'd be there the first time, yet there I was.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 minute ago, TicTac said:

Oh, let me hop on the Swiss Chalet bashing wagon!

I honestly wasn't trying to start one, I was just using that as an example when I sympathized with Anna regarding not ordering what a place is known for.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

18 hours ago, Shelby said:

Double Bubble :o  Um. How different.

I know, right? It should have been Bazooka, at least! xD

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Today Kerry and I headed out to Cambridge to visit with a chocolatier. Last week Kerry had asked me to research places to eat in Cambridge which I dutifully did ( I doubt she will ever ask me again :o.  Among some other places, I came up with this one. 

image.jpeg

Kerry had tea while I enjoyed a beer but  I cannot find the name of it on their website. 

image.jpeg

Calamari with a remoulade dipping sauce.

image.jpeg

Schnitzel for Kerry. 

image.jpeg

Trout with almonds for me. 

The beer was good, the calamari passable.  I flung a longing glance at McDonald's as we pulled away from Cambridge.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Today Kerry and I headed out to Cambridge to visit with a chocolatier. Last week Kerry had asked me to research places to eat in Cambridge which I dutifully did ( I doubt she will ever ask me again :o.  Among some other places, I came up with this one. 

image.jpeg

Kerry had tea while I enjoyed a beer but  I cannot find the name of it on their website. 

image.jpeg

Calamari with a remoulade dipping sauce.

image.jpeg

Schnitzel for Kerry. 

image.jpeg

Trout with almonds for me. 

The beer was good, the calamari passable.  I flung a longing glance at McDonald's as we pulled away from Cambridge.

Hacker Pschorr wasn't it?

• Like 1

Yep. That was the name of the beer.  You're good!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Wow could it be that bad ?

the broccoli looks OK.

Truly it was that bad. Very, very rarely do I leave almost all the food on the plate but this time, except for a taste, there was nothing there that I could stomach.  The broccoli was 1° from raw.   I like some crunch in my broccoli but not enough to break a tooth on.  Kerry shared a small piece of her schnitzel with me. The pork was tough and tasteless.   My fish tasted charred all the through even though only the skin appeared to be burnt.  I think it takes an enormous amount of talent to take perfectly good food and make it inedible. 

Edited to add:

Despite all this we managed to have more than a few laughs and even conversed with a couple of gentlemen who were discussing that topic of conversation that concerns things beyond our borders and really ought to be verboten at the table.xDxD

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2/1/2017 at 4:58 PM, Anna N said:

Truly it was that bad. Very, very rarely do I leave almost all the food on the plate but this time, except for a taste, there was nothing there that I could stomach.  The broccoli was 1° from raw.   I like some crunch in my broccoli but not enough to break a tooth on.  Kerry shared a small piece of her schnitzel with me. The pork was tough and tasteless.   My fish tasted charred all the through even though only the skin appeared to be burnt.  I think it takes an enormous amount of talent to take perfectly good food and make it inedible. 

Edited to add:

Despite all this we managed to have more than a few laughs and even conversed with a couple of gentlemen who were discussing that topic of conversation that concerns things beyond our borders and really ought to be verboten at the table.xDxD

That truly takes talent in the kitchen, to manage all that. o.O

Host's note: this topic has been split to improve server (that is, of our computers) efficiency.  Click here for more inspiring adventures of the Ladies Who Lunch.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2