• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)

Anna N

6 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

It's strange to me that liver is that rare in larger population areas. I don't love it but I know a lot of people do. Way up here in Santa's south 40 where we can't get a large percentage of things usually easy to find in most areas, our little grocery store always has liver and tongue and frequently has kidney and tripe. Unfortunately, I've tried all four of those and tongue is the only one I can live with. I wanted to like liver, it always smelled good cooking with the onions when my grandmother cooked it for my grandfather, but I just don't. I've tried liver from beef, pork and bird and didn't like any of them. Not even foie. Can't even sneak it past the taste buds as pate. I've just accepted that I'm not going to like it no matter how hard I try and quit worrying about it.

I wouldn't for a second try to change your mind on liver!  I suspect that the demographics of Oakville might have something to do with the paucity of offal. We are one of the highest income cities in Canada. We are by no means ethnically diverse.  In other words I doubt there is much of a market for the nasty bits. That's just my opinion and not based on any scientific evidence.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'll take all liver .....foie......etc. :)  I'm a good friend like that.

You can have my foie  but hands off my liver especially calves liver  and chicken liver. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

One of my lady friends and I got together the other day to catch up, lunch and shop. Lunch was a return to Cheddar's in Webster.

She chose the Lemon Pepper Grilled Catfish with Broccoli Cheese Casserole and Carrots. (Sorry for the blurry photo.)

IMG_0064.JPG

I had the Chicken Tenders and Shrimp with Mashed Potatoes and Corn. (The corn was in a separate dish off to the side and didn't make it to the photo shoot.) The Honey Mustard that came with the Chicken was good but the Gravy was better, so I asked our waiter to bring some more. Happy, happy!

IMG_0063.JPG

After our meal, we spent about an hour and a half wandering through the newly opened Container Store across the highway. Lots of neat stuff!

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 11

23 minutes ago, Anna N said:

You can have my foie  but hands off my liver especially calves liver  and chicken liver. 

Now hang on just a dang minute.  There just HAS to be a bite or two left for me.

The Piccadilly is a family style restaurant in Wodstock, ON and when my mother was alive we always went there for lunch and had the liver with bacon and onions.  I go there twice a year to visit my parents' grave site and always go to the Piccadilly for liver and onions.  They make it really well, and take out those gnarly veiny bits.  It is very hard to find liver in restaurants where I live now.  There is one place that didn't do a bad job and my sister and I went there last Friday.  We had three bites, and gave up.  It was so mushy it disintegrated when you cut it plus it had this weird sour taste.   Both plates went back.  There is nowhere else in this city that I know of to get a nice lunch of liver.  Very sad.  :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

Lunch was a return to Cheddar's in Webster.

I usually have to wistfully imagine what all the Lunch Ladies' wonderful lunches taste like, but I have a Cheddars here right outside my subdivision in Wellington, FL! It is our go-to place when we're too tired to cook. I know and love that broccoli casserole. I usually get the chicken pot pie, or the vegetable plate (soup or salad plus FOUR vegetable sides for $7.99!)  Gotta love it!

• Like 2

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

16 hours ago, Anna N said:

Say what you will, diner food rarely disappoints. 

Spoken as though you had eaten down here in the land of the diner.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

that diner had a large number of interesting things :

P.jpg

and of course

DFC.jpg

m.jpg

T.jpg

dx.jpg

it would have taken me a long time before I left  , probably in a wheel barrel.

shame there is not one if those around here.

maybe the Lunch Ladies will go again , Soon ?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

that diner had a large number of interesting things :

P.jpg

and of course

DFC.jpg

m.jpg

T.jpg

dx.jpg

it would have taken me a long time before I left  , probably in a wheel barrel.

shame there is not one if those around here.

maybe the Lunch Ladies will go again , Soon ?

I did not even bother looking at the rest of the menu. Once I saw the liver my meal was decided. Not sure when or even if we might go back. We enjoyed our meal and we have enjoyed other diners  (one of them, The Bedrock Cafe, suffered a serious fire this am), but I can't say that they are at the top of our list of places we like to go at lunch.  Often our venue is chosen quite serendipitously as happened here. We were there in that place to check out a thrift store. It was getting a little past lunchtime and we were both hungry…

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I understand.

the smoked meat sandwich was talking to me along with the usual dose of Calamari.

and I haven't had a Schintzel  in a long long time.  I use to make the for my father , w just a little lemon.

must be a fairly high class diner to have ' wine sauce '

• Like 3

Today Kerry and I checked out a new restaurant in an old space-- Pin Toh Cuisine

It is in the same location as another Thai restaurant and is owned by the same group as the old one.  However it seems it is hoving much closer to more traditional Thai flavours under its new guise. The first thing that Kerry spotted as part of the decor was a copy of David Thompson's Thai Food.  

Kerry ordered  ginger tea and I had a Thai iced coffee.

We shared a group of appetizers 

image.jpeg

Spring rolls.

image.jpeg

Chicken laarb

image.jpeg

An appetizer platter which included a papaya salad, pork belly, shrimp chips, noodles and pork rinds. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Well today kerry and I were about to pull into the parking lot of an old favourite when we spotted a new restaurant (for us).  Nandos is a chain specializing in piri-piri chicken. It has opened only recently and was certainly suffering from a degree of noobiness from the service point of view. Nothing too awful but the disorganization was apparent. However, the food we enjoyed. 

image.jpeg

We shared a chicken platter. 1/2 a chicken, wings, skewers and two sides: classic fries and piri-piri vegetables.

image.jpeg

Don't worry.  I rescued my share of the veggies before they became overly intimate with that green pepper.  

image.jpeg

We couldn't resist the tarts. 

And for your further amusement:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And I brought home enough chicken for at least one more meal. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Anna - were you aware Nando's also serves chicken liver? ;)

I did see it on the menu and no doubt will be ordering it another time. Often when Kerry and I try a new place we look for some sort of platter where we can get a general idea of what they are doing with the food. Once that "chore" is under our belts we will look further at the menu if it warrants a return visit. (I wanted to run back and order a dozen tarts.) 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I just made peri peri chicken on the BGE.  I did it the traditional way:  got my hands on some real peri peri dried peppers, crushed them and left them in olive oil for three months.  Grilled the chicken then brushed the child oil on the bird about five minutes before it was ready.....I didn't want to burn the chili. The oil was very aromatic.

Is this they way they did it at Nando's?  Or did they use a sauce, like the ones you can buy in the grocery?

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

I just made peri peri chicken on the BGE.  I did it the traditional way:  got my hands on some real peri peri dried peppers, crushed them and left them in olive oil for three months.  Grilled the chicken then brushed the child oil on the bird about five minutes before it was ready.....I didn't want to burn the chili. The oil was very aromatic.

Is this they way they did it at Nando's?  Or did they use a sauce, like the ones you can buy in the grocery?

They mentioned soaking it for a period of time before cooking

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TicTac said:

And if you enjoyed Nando's, I can offer another suggestion of even greater taste and quality!; if so desired.

I would love to hear your suggestion but bear in mind that we only do lunch and usually within a very limited  geographical area.  But that doesn't mean that other people might not be able to take advantage.   And who knows but that it meets our criteria.   We are often at a loss for something new and different.  

My 2004 eG Blog

I can offer a number of ideas in the GTA and Northern reaches (I am in Old Thornhill) - the churrasco sort would be perhaps out of your typical range, at Eglinton and Mt Pleasant - Churrasco Villa - is excellent.

In the same area (S/E corner of said intersection) is a great pub that brews their own beer and often has cask ale.  Next door is a Cheese Emporium.

• Like 1

@TicTac

I must apologize I thought I had thanked you for your suggestions but apparently not. I am fairly sure we have been in that area before although of course not to those restaurants so I shall add them to my "places to eat" list.  I am sure we will end up in that area again before too long .

Today was cold enough to persuade us that we could return to our favourite Indian restaurant in Burlington. 

image.jpeg

Even though it was cold I was ready for a beer. Kerry was smart enough to order hot chai.

image.jpeg

onion bhajis. 

image.jpeg

Fabulous naan

image.jpeg

Gives real meaning to "long grain".

image.jpeg

Goat curry (on the bone).

image.jpeg

Madras lamb curry (hot enough to put hair on your chest).

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

A recent find -

If you are ever in the Hwy 7 & Leslie area - Adrak

A fine example of Indian cuisine.  Their madras is very good - I have not braved their vindaloo. 

Lots of layers of spices going on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TicTac said:

A recent find -

If you are ever in the Hwy 7 & Leslie area - Adrak

A fine example of Indian cuisine.  Their madras is very good - I have not braved their vindaloo. 

Lots of layers of spices going on.

Thank you. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Woe  Woe  Woe

however  Im pleased the Lunch Ladies East so Well

me  + / -    re Lunch Food 

how ever   how was the Goat ?

I like it Jamaican Style

Ive newer seen it in an Indian Rest.

reviewing   

Woe  Woe  Woe