• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 2)

Anna N

[Moderator note: The original The Ladies Who Lunch topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 1)]

Despite a rumour that spring had arrived in the GTA, yesterday the temperature was well below zero and the wind chill only added insult to injury. Food to warm the cockles of the heart called out to me so I suggested we return to Bombay Grill.

image.jpg

Assorted appetizer platter.

image.jpg

Lamb bhuna and karahi chicken

image.jpg

Basmati rice.

image.jpg

Naan.

From the warm welcome to the warming curries I think I chose well.

Edited to place final remark in right place.

Edited by Mjx
Host note added. (log)
  • Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh, another fantastic looking naan. You're killing me. However, I think you deserve it considering your weather. I can't get naan like that here but my lettuce is poking up out of the soil here in the Okanagan. :-))

Okanagancook,

Lucky you. We still have mountains of dirty snow!

Yesterday I suggested a return visit to Lemongrass in Hamilton.

Kerry ordered ginger tea while I had a Tsingtao beer shown here with the complimentary soup which was quite delicious. It seemed obvious that it was an almagamation of various leftovers so we named it Thai sink soup!

image.jpg

We shared an appetizer platter:

image.jpg

Then we each ordered a dish which we ultimately shared:

image.jpg

Crispy chicken with Thai curry sauce

And

image.jpg

A noodle dish whose name escapes me.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Today Anna and I went to my child's school for a chocolate demo.  She's in a special needs classroom - so it was a pretty simple demo - get the kids to put a little dark or white chocolate in some molds, then use a squeezy bottle to put in some tempered milk chocolate.  

By the time we were done it was around 1:30 and we were getting a little peckish - so we took to opportunity to find the closest suitable place for a bit of lunch.

We found a spot called Adami - a sushi/dim sum/japanese spot.  You can order a variety of different dishes - a couple of pieces of each.

First up a bit of sushi - inari, shrimp tempura roll, futo maki

DSCN2585.jpg

A couple of pieces of tempura and on the other side of the table - squid tentacles tempura (gotta have calamari) - chewy but tasty.  

DSCN2588.jpg

Japanese fried chicken and gyoza.

DSCN2589.jpg

Yakitori.

DSCN2591.jpg

Har gow

DSCN2592.jpg

Har gow attached to paper napkin.

DSCN2594.jpg

Siu mai

DSCN2595.jpg

A very satisfactory lunch - no dinner needed today.

• Like 4

IMG_1160.jpg

Sometimes the Ladies Who Lunch are the ladies who eat on the run.  Yesterday Anna and I made a quick dash to Costco before I headed off to work - and this was lunch!

• Like 4

Thank heaven for a late breakfast yesterday! I didn't have to eat a hot dog.

Today we returned to Miss Thailand in Hamilton.

image.jpg

A Tsingtao beer for me.

image.jpg

Ginger tea for Kerry.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Two views of the appetizer platter for two

image.jpg

Dipping sauces.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Spicy noodles and Panang chicken curry.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh, that looks luscious!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Today Kerry and I had an errand on Queen Street in downtown Toronto. We were not too far from Pho Phuong, a restaurant that we had visited before. We remembered how much we had enjoyed the Banh Xeo and decided it was time for a repeat.

image.jpg

Tea for Kerry

image.jpg

Vietnamese iced coffee for me.

image.jpg

Dipping sauce.

image.jpg

Bahn Xeo

image.jpg

Rice

image.jpg

Steamed vegetables.

image.jpg

Pork ribs in coconut sauce.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

On Tuesday Kerry and I returned to one of our favourite places, The Plains Road Bistro.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Curried mussels and frites for Kerry

image.jpg

The Bistro's interpretation of croque madame for me (open-faced and topped with bechamel and an egg).

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday Kerry and I had a few errands to do. Afterwards we found ourselves as usual quite peckish. We found ourselves in the Mikado, a Japanese/Korean restaurant.

image.jpg

Miso soup and salad.

image.jpg

Calamari

image.jpg

Crispy scallops (to die for!)

image.jpg

Beef udon in broth

image.jpg

Tempura lunch plate

image.jpg

Dipping sauce in an adorable dish.

image.jpg

And the dish that caused an outburst of school girl giggling!

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes agreed - intrigued - is that a puffed rice sort of coating?

It is indeed.

My 2004 eG Blog

And the dish that caused an outburst of school girl giggling!

Did you recommend a good Mohel?

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yesterday felt more like November than almost May. After being soaked a number of times by icy cold rain, we determined that pho was the only answer for lunch. Fortunately our errands had taken us very close to our favorite pho joint in Hamilton.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Chicken and beef for Kerry and rare and well-done beef for me.

image.jpg

Wonderfully fresh garnishes including the elusive and expensive lime wedges.

image.jpg

Calamari (a rare fail!).

image.jpg

And fresh rice paper rolls.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Anyone reading this topic could be excused for thinking that Kerry Beal and I do nothing but lunch! Today we headed south of the border to Buffalo for some retail therapy and to meet up with member patris for a bite of lunch. Patris is always tasked with discovering new and interesting places for lunch. Today she took us to Balkan Dining in Tonawanda.

image.jpg

Sorry but this Balkan salad smelled so fresh and inviting that it was almost finished before Kerry remembered the camera. Tomatoes, cucumbers, onion dressed with sour cream.

image.jpg

Mushroom and cheese filled pita. Very different than any pita we had known before. A cross between a bread dough and flaky pastry. Kerry and I were thinking Borek

image.jpg

Same but filled with spinach and cheese.

image.jpg

Mixed meat platter - cevapi (ground beef patties), chicken breast, sudzukice (beef sausage), and veal kebab served with fries and lepina (flatbread).

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry and I ended up in Ancaster yesterday. We were hoping for a recommendation from a friend who practices in Ancaster but we had left it to the last minute. So we found My Thai (when the friend replied this restaurant was one on his list!)

image.jpg

Ginger tea for Kerry.

image.jpg

A beer for me!

image.jpg

Appetizer platter including calamari. My clenched fists in the background show how much will power I was exerting so Kerry could get a photo before the platter was demolished.

image.jpg

Beef massaman

image.jpg

Royal scallop dish

image.jpg

Both dishes with the rice.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I must say, the Lunch Ladies sure have the touch !  it cant just be the GTA.

love the Singha Mug !  liked that beer w Thai.

I also noticed the "Grasping Hand" in the last picture about grab that mug !

:biggrin:

• Like 1

I must say, the Lunch Ladies sure have the touch !  it cant just be the GTA.

love the Singha Mug !  liked that beer w Thai.

I also noticed the "Grasping Hand" in the last picture about grab that mug !

:biggrin:

Yeah. I'm short on manners but big on appetite and thirst!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry Beal is flying off to Las Vegas today to participate in the Chocolate & Confectionery Workshop so yesterday we snuck in a visit with Society member Alleguede and for good measure lunch at a Spoon & Fork.

image.jpg

Ginger tea for Kerry. I stuck with water.

image.jpg

Something called South Thai Fried Rice though the presence of canned kidney beans left us puzzled.

image.jpg

Bok choy in a garlic sauce.

image.jpg

Inari-sushi

image.jpg

Dynamite roll. Shrimp, avocado, CRAB STICK, tobiko, cucumber and spicy sauce. (My survival instinct must have kicked in as I chose not to try this one (I am severely allergic to crab)).

image.jpg

And finally calamari and tempura.

This was an all-you-can-eat menu so we had a second serving of calamari.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog