• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago Pizza

gfweb

Soggy pizza?

Some people like it.  Every now and then I am craving something gooey and runny, like the middle slice of a Chicago square pie.  Sometimes even the crust, soggy or not, gets in the way, and then I make a little crustless "pizza."  I melt the cheese in the microwave, and add or mix in the toppings, and then sometimes a rewarm to soften or a quick broil to get a little skin.  A real bit of gooey heaven.

... Shel

The middle pieces of thin crust pizza are, for lack of a better term, soggy on the top portion that the tomato sauce is applied to -- the crust is soaked with the sauce and a nice thin layer of corn meal that bakes to the bottom confirms the very flavor that is chicago thin crust  -- it is a nice soft, thin crust, with a corn meal finish which is very distinct.  To call it bad/not real pizza is a fundamental misunderstanding of how delicious Chicago thin crust is, and pretty ridiculous to boot.  Have you never had this type of pizza?

' people ' have been known to make ' pizza-ettes ' on English Muffins.  EM toasted. Jar Red sauce. any kind of cheese available right then

back in the toaster over or under the broiler in a regular oven, depending on  the need and urgency.

as far as I can tell, this 'pizza-ette' is currently legal only in CO and WA for various political reasons.

gfweb might know. (s)he seems to have spent time in CO eating as he claims the local 

Prairie oysters

who knew ?   :wacko:

F.D.: I personally know nothing of these 'pizza-ettes'  I know people back in the day that swore by them.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

.  To call it bad/not real pizza is a fundamental misunderstanding

I believe that it was Chicago deep dish pizza that was determined to be not real pizza...not your thin crust version. 

(Unless the two are one in the same, which I don't think is the case.)

' people ' have been known to make ' pizza-ettes ' on English Muffins.  EM toasted. Jar Red sauce. any kind of cheese available right then

back in the toaster over or under the broiler in a regular oven, depending on  the need and urgency.

as far as I can tell, this 'pizza-ette' is currently legal only in CO and WA for various political reasons.

gfweb might know. (s)he seems to have spent time in CO eating as he claims the local 

Prairie oysters

who knew ?   :wacko:

It has been years since I've had a prairie oyster, but never on a pizza.

In leaner times, when late night snacking was most urgent, I'd put a blob of spray cheese on a Herr's ripple chip and top it with a dab of sriracha. Habit forming.