• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I hate slice and bake cookies! Any hints for avoiding fissures in the logs of dough?

Kim Shook

My most recent batch of slice and bake cookies:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155077-your-daily-sweets-what-are-you-making-and-baking-2017-–/?do=findComment&comment=2370576

These are excellent.  No fissures.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My most recent batch of gluten-free shortbread cookies did what Kim Shook's cookie log did in the first posting...just kind of fell apart.  (The recipe is actually supposed to be rolled out and cut into shapes...definitely not my thing and so I just make a roll, chill it and slice it before baking.)  But this last batch was not behaving well.

So I dumped it back into the bowl, added a small chunk of butter and began the roll again.  Success this time.  Probably not something that most cooks would never do...no doubt the dough is handled too much...but I can be extremely lazy and nonchalant sometimes, and for me, it worked perfectly.  

I'd rather do slice and bake any time.  Hate doing roll and use cookie cutters.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.