• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Competition for Nutella

Chris Hennes

Recently a couple of the other big brands have jumped onto the gianduja/chocolate-and-nut-butter bandwagon: in my cupboard now I've got three varieties...

DSC_1187 (1).jpg

I haven't tried any of the new ones yet, but a recent article over at Serious Eats suggest that the almond one might be a winner. Have you tried any of the new ones yet? What do you think?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Trader Joe's also has an almond one, don't know if it's a unique item, or repackaged -I haven't tried enough of these spreads yet to figure it out.

I will say that I refused to eat Nutella for years because it was made with shortening, which contains trans fat. It was reformulated about a decade or so ago (at least, that's when I noticed) and I started using it.

I grew up on Nutoca, an Aldi store brand I believe. Nutella was too expensive. My kids now grow up on Nutella from Costco. Different recipe in the states than in Europe I believe though. But still good. The Trader Joe's almond is also pretty good, nuttier and not so sweet.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Just by chance, I found a close-dated large jar of the Jif version at a Big Lots for $1. At that price, I couldn't resist. Lo and behold, I preferred it to Nutella. It was more hazelnutty, for lack of a better term. I also just picked up a couple of 2-for-1 close-dated jars by Pernigotti Neroguanduia, from Italy. It, too, is less sweet and more hazelnutty than Nutella -- which makes sense, as its first three ingredients are sugar, hazelnuts, palm oil vs. Nutella's sugar, palm oil, hazelnuts.

The same Big Lots carries Nutkao. Has anyone here tried it?

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

This is the selection at the supermarket nearby (better stocked places have really impressive selctions of chocolate-nut spreads, with various sorts of nuts):

IMG_1484.jpg

At one point or another, I've tried them all. The organic, Italian one is a bit less sweet, and has distinct hazelnut flavour (I recommend it), the 'Princip' one has tiny particles that suggest that they considered doing a chunky version, but lost their nerve, and the rest are the usual super-sweet, somewhat gluey, faintly nut-flavoured preparations we all know.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

This is the selection at the supermarket nearby (better stocked places have really impressive selctions of chocolate-nut spreads, with various sorts of nuts):

IMG_1484.jpg

At one point or another, I've tried them all. The organic, Italian one is a bit lest sweet, and has distinct hazelnut flavour, the 'Princip' brand one has tiny particles that suggest that they considered doing a chunky version, but chickened out, and the rest are the usual super-sweet, somewhat gluey, faintly nut-flavoured preparations we all know.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Just by chance, I found a close-dated large jar of the Jif version at a Big Lots for $1. At that price, I couldn't resist. Lo and behold, I preferred it to Nutella. It was more hazelnutty, for lack of a better term. I also just picked up a couple of 2-for-1 close-dated jars by Pernigotti Neroguanduia, from Italy. It, too, is less sweet and more hazelnutty than Nutella -- which makes sense, as its first three ingredients are sugar, hazelnuts, palm oil vs. Nutella's sugar, palm oil, hazelnuts.

The same Big Lots carries Nutkao. Has anyone here tried it?

I have. I like it.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

At one point or another, I've tried them all. The organic, Italian one is a bit less sweet, and has distinct hazelnut flavour (I recommend it) ...

What is the name of the organic Italian spread?

... Shel

What is the name of the organic Italian spread?

It's Rigoni di Asiago's Nocciolata (visible all the way in the upper right of the image upthread).

I don't recall if I thanked you for the info.  Decided to try the spread, and will order it online next week.

... Shel