• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Yogurt

ElsieD

I usually buy my yogurt from Costco and it comes in single serving sizes. The problem is, there are more portions in the pack than I can normally eat before the best before date. I would like to know if I can freeze it, then thaw it overnight in the fridge for eating in the morning. In searching the internet, I came across conflicting information or opinions given without any reason for said opinion. So, my questions are, can I do this? What effect, if any, will it have on taste and texture? Can it be frozen beyond it's best before date? The brand I usually buy is Liberte and it is Greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom. Thanks in advance.

I make my own yogurt and it is more convenient in some ways to make too much, which is not obviously convenient in other ways. If I just keep it too long in the fridge it develops the dreaded pink mould and has to be binned.

So, I freeze half of each batch. No problems. I guess the longest I have left it before defrosting is about a month. Can't say if it lasts longer or not.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 1 month later...

To the "use by" or "best by" dates for yogurt, you can add at least a couple of weeks, or even longer.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

if the yogurt has been stored properly (at the store, at home)...I regularly eat yogurt 2 weeks past the "best by" date and notice no difference in the flavor.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Does freezing yogurt in any way alter the taste or texture when defrosted?  Also, does freezing alter the yogurt's cooking properties, such as when baked into a bread?

... Shel

Does freezing yogurt in any way alter the taste or texture when defrosted?  Also, does freezing alter the yogurt's cooking properties, such as when baked into a bread?

As noted earlier it won;t be as smooth or creamy. 

Edited by heidih (log)

Sometimes yogurt becomes "grainy" after being frozen.  I notice this most with "low-fat" yogurt. 

As I make my own and almost always use full-fat milk, it does not seen as pronounced. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett