• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Bordelaise Sauce

Robenco15

Any issues with freezing leftover Bordelaise? Making it for a family party and going big to make sure everyone has enough but may end up with extra. Parents are hoping I could freeze it so they can have it again.

Using TK's recipe from TFL, just quadrupling it. Kinda odd he doesn't use butter or bone marrow in it given the tradition of bordelaise and his dedication to perfection and refinement, but I'm sure it will blow me away.

Thank you!

I've never tried it, but it doesn't look like a sauce that would break, or otherwise suffer in texture, from freezing and then reheating. I'd go for it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

If I was you I'd do a trial run before making such a large batch. Then again, it sounds like you may not have anything to lose, if you were planning on making a huge batch anyway. If it doesn't thaw well, you pitch it, just like you would have at the end of the day's meal if you found out it did't take to freezing.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

BORDELAISE OR BORDEAUX SAUCE is Demi-glace sauce + red Bordeaux wine + shallots + bay + parsley + thyme. Bordelaise sauce is Burgundy sauce made with red Bordeaux wine instead of red Burgundy wine.

BURGUNDY OR BOURGUIGNONNE SAUCE is Demi-glace sauce+ red Burgundy wine + shallots + bay + parsley + thyme. Bourguignonne sauce is Bordelaise sauce made with red Burgundy wine instead of red Bordeaux wine.

There is nothing in either that won't freeze except if you are thinking of coating the meat with flour before browning it consider using arrowroot instead of corn flour as the coater because it won't breakdown when frozen and reheated as both cornflour and normal flour do. :smile: