• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substituting (or omitting) red wine in recipes

Max101

In my opinion this is going to come down purely to personal taste, and to the exact recipe you are talking about. I mean, you aren't going to leave the wine out of Beef bourguignon (or at least, you won't call it bourguignon if you do!), but in some cases there may be appropriate substitutions. One thing you'll want to be aware of is the salt and acid level of the dish: you may find that if you don't add wine, you need to add something else to get the balance right. Often I think you'll need to tweak the acidity.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

When a recipe calls for wine, it's the flavor that is needed, not the alcohol.  In general, one must either "boil off" the alcohol once it's added, or as many chefs do, they boil of the alcohol before adding it to the recipe.  Usually reduction of at least 50% is required.  If you don't have any wine available, reach for another flavor intensifier:  Vermouth, Port, Madeira, etc. Nothing can replace the flavor of wine however...and if you won't drink it, don't cook with it!    Also, adding un-reduced wine to some vegetables (and letting reduce gently by 50%) can intensify the flavors as alcohol (the polyphenols within) can release deepened flavors.

"Meilleur le vin, meilleur la sauce".

• Like 1

I am not a wine drinker, so rarely have it around the house.  I prefer to have a sweet wine anyways, which would not have worked for this recipe.  But it tasted just fine to me, I would make the recipe again without it.

maybe you should look into a dry red vermouth.  its fortified and wold keep.

can't help you find one, if it even exists.  might have other stuff in it that precluded its use as above.  start a thread:  red wine for cooking for a non-red wine drinker

you might be surprised.

You can freeze wine to be used for cooking. For non-red-wine-drinkers, I recommend buying a bottle and freezing it in ice cube trays, then popping out the frozen cubes into a freezer bag for long term storage. You can then use what you need.

As for what type of wine to use, here's my favorite wine article ever printed: Cheap Wine Works Fine. Essentially, you want a low-tannin wine like a merlot, or an easy-drinking blend. And, that under-$5 bottle will probably work out great.

• Like 1

nice article, thanks.

it helps to reduce the wine a bit before freezing, as you need a very cold freezer to freeze the EtOH in the wine.

i dont buy the 2 buck chuck part.  they sell 500 cases a week at my joes,  I cant stand it.  not that my palate is more sophisticated.

it just cant stand 2 buck chuck.  but 500 cases go to someones home.  just not mine.

• Like 1

nice article, thanks.

it helps to reduce the wine a bit before freezing, as you need a very cold freezer to freeze the EtOH in the wine.

i dont buy the 2 buck chuck part.  they sell 500 cases a week at my joes,  I cant stand it.  not that my palate is more sophisticated.

it just cant stand 2 buck chuck.  but 500 cases go to someones home.  just not mine.

I don't like the 2 buck chuck, either. I think it tastes watery. Ditto for most of the wines I have tried at TJ's. Sorry, Joe, love your food, your beer is ok, just can't take your wine. I have had decent success cooking with the boxed wine (forgot the winery name) from Target.

TJ's has all level of wines.  all of them cheaper than a regular wine/liquor store.

after all , they dont make any of it, just distribute it.

Wine is a Personal beverage.  its easy to use the idea that you drink what you cook with as one assumes you like what you drink.

odd and off tastes to your palate concentrate in the finished dish.  and its true, so do tannins and sugars.

Bon Appetit  !

As for what type of wine to use, here's my favorite wine article ever printed: Cheap Wine Works Fine. Essentially, you want a low-tannin wine like a merlot, or an easy-drinking blend. And, that under-$5 bottle will probably work out great.

With regards to the use of red wines .I'd mostly agree with that assessment, though if the wine is too unbalanced (to acidic, way too much tannin, etc.) it is little surprising it influences the taste of soups and sauces. Recipes with white wine are generally a bit more tricky, especially the acidity/sweetness matters more -- of course still depending on the recipe.

Edited by fvandrog (log)