• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

robirdstx

... This time  I sweated down some diced onion and sweet red peppers  , juice of half a lemon in the pan then left to reduce down. I put this aside to cool .  In a bowl I had minced garlic, lemon zest, dried  greek oregano, the onion/pepper mixture , a good pinch of a spice blend I made with coriander seed, red chile flake, white pepper, and marjoram, S& P and the lamb.. mixed til just combined and made the patties. ( actually I fried off a small bit first to check seasoning and needed a bit more s &p)  homemade tzatziki and fine slice onion on top. 

Sounds dang good.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Ashen – delicious way to give leftover chicken gourmet treatment.

SobaAddic – many stunning photos!

Scottyboy – We miss your cooking.

Huiray – you need to start thinking about writing a cookbook.

Ann_T – you make yummy food look so easy to create.

Anna N – your dishes are always just as appetizing as any fancy ingredients.

Basquecook – Dandelion greens, ramps --- you are speak my kind of language.

Mm84321 – everything comes out from your kitchen is perfectly done.

Steve irby – beautiful plating.

Chefmd – Agree, perfect salmon.

Kim – Absolutely amazing onion rings. Not the easiest thing to get perfect.

------------------------------------------

A few recent cooks.

dcarch

Roasted pork, kabocha, broccoli stems

kabochabroccolistems2.jpg

Kabochabroccolistems.jpg

smoked chicken daylily shoots

smokedchickentigerlily.jpg

smokedchickentigerlily2.jpg

Smoked pork shoulder on orzo

porkshoulderorzo.jpg

Porkshoulderorzo2.jpg

• Like 4

When I was in the Asian market getting a beef shank and bones for Seolleongtang, I also picked up a stewing chicken for stock. It still had it's head and feet attached.  It was a skinny and tough old bird but when simmered for 3 hours, very tasty. 

Cassie said she had never heard of drop dumplings before I made them with chicken.  She only knew about the noodle-like kind and she liked that kind.  She left for work yesterday around 8 so I thought she'd be home for dinner. It turns out she worked a 15 hour day and I was in bed before she got home. I don't know if she liked the noodle dumplings or not but Charlie said they were good. They were made with baking soda/powder and buttermilk.  We had it with corn muffins.

I still have a couple quarts of stock which is now in the freezer.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

Many thanks to all the folks who sent kind words and compliments my way.  Much appreciated.

A simple dinner - chicken soup w/ fresh orecchiette.  Soup made w/ a stewing chicken, carrots, leafy celery (see below), ginger slices, salt....

DSCN1455a_800.jpg

...which followed from lunch w/ the soup only...

DSCN1452a_800.jpg

...and the making of which was urged on me by my mind after I got these lovely leafy celery stems from the BRFM...

DSCN1461a_800.jpg

• Like 2

Dcarch--Lovely smoked chicken.  I'm hungry for that.

Huiray--Such clear, gorgeous chicken broth!

Everyone else, as always, I love perusing your mouth watering food.

Chicken and mushroom alfredo of sorts

Image.jpg

And, a friend came to stay with us for a few days.  He made us these wonderful venison burgers on the grill.

Image 1.jpg

• Like 4

Shelby, That's a fine looking burger on that onion bun.

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Tonight's salad and pizza, the only frozen pizza I can stand - Newman's Own Thin and Crispy Four Cheese Pizza - it's excellent.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

image.jpg

Canned salmon salad on still-warm home-made bread with a layer of thinly sliced cucumber.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Was an experiment tonight -- my partner proclaimed it delicious which is all that really matters in the end.

14175017274_7c991aa643_z.jpg

14151819946_7ea2f27657_z.jpg

Garlic shrimp, with ramps and egg on toast

We also had:

Leftover soupe au pistou

Cheese, fruit and honey

• Like 2

I do have more elaborate or more involved dinners but it is more often the case that they are simple ones or meals made from leftovers - unlike most of you here where dinner appears to be almost always the most substantial meal of the day frequently involving lots of fancy footwork/handwork and the greatest investment of time and energy and resources and ingredients. 

Here's a meal I had late last night, which was definitely a homestyle/really simple thrown-together meal, something that was tasty but allowed me to just barely stir from my sleepiness/general-blahness.

White rice (this took the usual ~ 1/2 hr prep & cooking time, stove-top) liberally sprinkled w/ wasabi fumi furikake; in-situ scrambled "marbled" eggs (three) (very hot pan, hot oil, maybe 1-2 minutes tops cooking time, full heat, eggs "release" fairly quickly; still runny in the centers, just the way I like them); stir-fried Taiwan bok choy (screamingly hot pan, almost smoking oil, Himalayan salt; less than 2 minutes cooking time, covered part of the time; some of the pieces get slightly browned). 

:-)

DSCN1471a_800.jpg

[Host note: This topic continues here, Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)]

Edited by Mjx
Note added. (log)
  • Like 2