• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

robirdstx

""   huitlacoche  ""

was your huitlacoche fresh or canned ?  I can only rarely find canned and it varies from can to can.

after all, you have to know what you are doing to be into

Corn Smut      :huh: 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/27/huitlacoche-corn-smut-goo_n_553422.html

it was a brave soul who took the first bite of this

or else they were vary vary hungry

:biggrin:

I believe that the Rancho Gordo referred to in that link is one of eGs own.  I'd love to hear more about this stuff.

Herbed roasted chicken (breast) with mushroom gravy, rainbow carrots, cauliflower, radish, and pea tendrils.

chicken_tendrils.jpg

And from the other night, I did a capreze salad with vacuum marinated tomatoes:

capreze.jpg

Served alongside shrimp with pistachio pesto (recipe from MC@H) over zucchini noodles.

shrimp_pesto.jpg

That pic was taken before I hit it with an obscene amount of parmigiano reggiano.

• Like 7

One of my favorites--"Chicken Pie with Biscuits" based on a church supper recipe that appeared in Saveur years ago.  You start with making chicken stock--the best chicken stock ever and very easy--a whole chicken in a deep pot filled with water, aromatics and vegetables. Simmer the chicken for about 3 hours, then strain off the liquid into another pot.  Pull the meat off the chicken and reserve, but put all the bones back in the second pot with the strained liquid.  Now reduce, reduce, reduce.  I don't skim any muck off the top like other recipes because there isn't any mucky foam.  Talk about concentrated chicken flavor.

The next day add a slurry of cream and flour to some of the chicken stock to make a gravy, then add the chicken meat, vegetables of your choosing, (I always add chopped celery, carrots and peas), then some chopped fresh sage, thyme, salt and lots of black pepper.  Bake in a casserole for about 45 minutes. 

Use your favorite biscuit recipe or frozen store-bought biscuits, (yes, they are quite good and convenient), put the biscuits on top of the chicken pie, bake another 15 minutes or so.  Brush the biscuit tops with melted butter and there you have it.

003.JPG

014.JPG

• Like 10

that looks really good Dave.  

Dinner tonight was leftovers.. Miss A and K ordered sushi as they were home today and had this for lunch.. Meanwhile, I had healthy food all day in anticipation of tonights meal.  

Huitlacoche quesadilla, refried beans with tortilla chips and some mole enchiladas.  I had lots of leftover beers so, I had one of those with dinner as well.  

over sauced for my please

13939833499_697fa98c78_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 7

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

For supper today, I made beef bulgogi and grilled it outside, a Korean style spinach and a salad.  At the Asian Market there was this bottle simply called Red Salad Dressing. I was hoping it would be like the kind we had at the Japanese Steak house but it wasn't.  Maybe if I add ginger it will be closer. It was good anyway.   We also had two kinds of kim che and rice

DSCN1407_zps1a35acca.jpg

DSCN1409_zps8f4222be.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2

14124624311_514a7cae85_z.jpg

Rillettes de sardines ("sardine spread").

The recipe for this is from pages 78-79 of "My Paris Kitchen".

B remarked that it was quite delicious and addictive. It's also somewhat rich and best consumed over time, or at a dinner party. I halved the proportions David calls for in the original recipe, and subbed lemon juice for lime juice, but otherwise it's as written.

14127944625_b2f1608b13_z.jpg

14124623901_ae9d554cda_z.jpg

Salade parisienne, chive mayonnaise.

Top pic

Clockwise from top right -- cold roast chicken; Jerusalem artichokes; carrot sticks; French breakfast radishes; celery sticks. Not shown are boiled heirloom potatoes.

I adore salade parisienne (better known as "leftovers"). It's perfect for a grazing dinner, and best of all, you can do this year-round. Basically, it's slightly warm or cold cooked meats and vegetables with dipping sauces. Although I had herb mayonnaise, the classic accompaniment is sauce moutarde.

Other ideas include: roast beef, roast turkey, hard-cooked eggs with anchovy fillets; haricot verts or green beans; cherry tomatoes or tomato wedges; pickled pearl onion; steamed Japanese turnips; heirloom radishes.

• Like 3

""   huitlacoche  ""

was your huitlacoche fresh or canned ?  I can only rarely find canned and it varies from can to can.

after all, you have to know what you are doing to be into

Corn Smut      :huh: 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/27/huitlacoche-corn-smut-goo_n_553422.html

it was a brave soul who took the first bite of this

or else they were vary vary hungry

:biggrin:

Back a few years ago when it used to rain here in Kansas (it's already like living on the sun--3 days of near 100 and 100 degrees) our corn that we grew was quite smutty in spots.  I googled it and was shocked that it was something you could eat.  I never was brave enough to try, though.

Couple of dinners:

Spaghetti

Image.jpg

Taco salad

Image 1.jpg
  • Like 8

Simple version this time around of duck & pickled mustard soup, but with jerk-rubbed/marinated duck legs.  Water, duck legs (cut up), ginger, pickled mustard, Kumato tomatoes, kosher salt, rice vinegar, mirin-fuu.  The jerk seasoning residues gave the soup an interesting additional flavor, not at all unpleasant,** although not something I would seek to reproduce as a matter of course.   I had munchies with it.  :-) 

Pickled mustard soup (with chicken or duck) is one of my standard, old-war-horse dishes, something I make frequently and eat gladly - a comforting, "desert-island" dish that I would very much miss if I were to be told I could not have it anymore.

DSCN1415b_800.jpg

** ETA: Quite tasty in its own way as an overlay on the base profile, in fact, even if not the most instinctual pairing of tastes. :-) 

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

The ladies left me again last night.. They went out and I was home alone..  Not wanting to eat the rest of the Mexican Leftovers,  I made a brown rice salad. Brown rice, iceberg lettuce, some green beans, almonds, red onion and radicchio. Topped with red wine vinegar eaten with chopsticks.  I was happy.  

Simple, inexpensive and all from things in the house..   

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Dinner tonight with my number 2 son. This chicken was phenomenal (http://food52.com/recipes/8192-spatchcocked-and-braise-roasted-chicken). Tender, juicy and the skin was so crispy. And even the corn exceeded expectations.

image.jpg

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I wish I was a better photographer. But, it's also partially my fault.. Case in point, I plated this guy but, then after realizing I forgot to add the baby roasted sweet potatoes, i was too lazy to go back.  

Dandelion greens, pan roasted duck breast, family raised lamb and brown rice.  

I made a ramp oil that I marinated the lamb in. Also, squirted over while it was resting.  Duck breast was served medium rare, crispy skin.  Bribed miss K into eating the greens by turning off Peter Tosh for a bad called Breaking Benjamin. 

14137601431_b6af41cd64_z.jpg

13954280788_962d69fa0c_z.jpg

• Like 6