• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

robirdstx

Everything looks great, especially the ham.

Simple dinner tonight... :wink:

13962524771_05b36e1224_z.jpg

Crudités plate -- French breakfast radishes, asparagus, hard-cooked farm egg w/ anchovy, herb mayonnaise

13965701495_d885eb706d_z.jpg

Poached wild sea bass, lemon butter sauce, side salad

• Like 3

Ann, i love the idea of the salad in that crust like that.. And the prime rib looks perfect..

Last night, I fired up the big green egg.. Skewered shrimp, three at a time in two places, with wood soaked in water for an hour.   Put whole squid flat on the grill and skewered the tentacles..   Grilled them after they had been soaking in olive oil, thyme and garlic.  

Mixed them with rancho gordo beans, olive oil and vinegar.. Tossed in some lettuces too that were given out free at the Baldor show yesterday.  

Still so full from the weekend, even after only eating one small cup of oatmeal yesterday.

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

I built a cold smoker over the Easter break along with Chris Taylor ( http://forums.egullet.org/topic/147569-diy-miniature-smoke-house/ ). One of the first things that went in it (under Mesquite smoke) was some Kangaroo fillets, which I thought was pretty darn good.

Tonight that culminated in this:

2014-04-22-Kangaroo2-1.jpg

Smoked (Mesquite) kangaroo fillet with roasted root vegetables (parnsip, carrot and beetroot).

The 'roo was smoked for about an hour at room temp, seasoned, frozen, then browned quickly before being cooked to 55.3 C in a water circulator. Root veg. were finished with smoked butter. A red wine sauce went with it, but I'd rather have just spooned on more butter.

• Like 6

An old war-horse dish: Beef & Bittergourd stir-fry. 

I've posted renditions of this dish several times before, but I think tried-and-true dishes ought to be talked about just as well as new-fangled dishes. :-)  This one was the simple, bare-bones version: hot oil, chopped smashed garlic (lots!), sliced beef, salt, sliced deseeded/cored bittergourd, a bit of water.  That's it.  Clear, clean tastes.  Eaten w/ white rice. 

Plus a bowl of leftover pork belly and lotus root soup (from here).

DSCN1280a_800.jpg

• Like 2

know nothing about the L.'s Brain,

but the presentation is Stunniing !

where did you get the plates ?

what is the total dimension of the plate ?

the 'well' ?  its depth ?

Its just stunning.

Last night my niece came over for dinner and she requested my ribs.  They are St Louis style and were smoked at 225F for 6 hours with cherry.  Served with coleslaw with my horseradish dressing and slow baked potatoes (cooked alongside the ribs for the same time).

Here's the whole slab:

lmr-slab.jpg

A closeup of the ribs:

lmr-close.jpg

And ready to eat!

lmr plated.jpg

• Like 10

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

know nothing about the L.'s Brain,

but the presentation is Stunniing !

where did you get the plates ?

what is the total dimension of the plate ?

the 'well' ?  its depth ?

Its just stunning.

Beautiful, but all I can think of is scrapie.

• Like 1

Every time I used to buy lamb brain in Monaco the butcher would politely ask if it was for my little girl...miss the offals!

More often I would make croquettes out of it, but I can imagine a la Grenobloise to be really good. I like very much also lamb sweetbreads but they were difficult to source also in France, considered a delicacy in my hometown in Puglia.

Lately I'm not in the mood to take pictures but we had a lovely dinner of grilled shrimps and lobster, plus corn ans some sauté greens.

simple dinner tonight..  the Portuguese Butcher had these super thin pork chops.  I bought 5.  Did a simple butter.  Just mixed a squirt of anchovy paste ( a rare thing to find in my fridge) into butter and mixed.  While the chops were finishing, i topped with anchovy butter and deglazed with tarragon vinegar.  

For some reason, i have not been purchasing lemons.  I have been purposely denying myself.   Getting rid of vinegars.  I guess it's a way of experimenting as I was tempted to thrown in the bottom half of a jar of cornichons to deglaze the pan.

Served with lettuce salad. 

13977470594_6ed514c55b.jpg

• Like 2

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

13978969164_e7d0b79d1a_z.jpg

Pan-seared asparagus salad, with baby mesclun and fried farm egg

Adapted from: http://goo.gl/Nq9lvS

I probably added the mesclun a touch too early since it's a little bit wilted. Tasted great though.

I omitted the garlic/anchovy paste in the recipe, instead opting for shallots in the vinaigrette and shallots in the pan along with the asparagus spears.

13975351761_8ff782dbef_z.jpg

Fettucine with morel mushrooms, crimini mushrooms and radish greens

13998529803_76f3905f18_z.jpg

Littleneck clams with heirloom potatoes and ramps

Clams: steamed with white wine and water; meat removed and shells discarded; clam juices and broth reserved

Potatoes: peeled, cut into chunks, then seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and olive oil; roasted at 350 F for 30 minutes.

Ramps: fried in unsalted butter, to which were added the clams and potatoes. sea salt and black pepper to taste, and some reserved clam broth. snipped chives for garnish.

• Like 5

I was hoping to follow MM! 

So, yeh, some of the uglier food, I've made and photographed.  However, it was really damn good.. Add my lack of photography skills and having to have dinner ready in an hour, I give you the following. 

Miss K had the last of the "wine chicken" she likes.. just heated up some P-Dutch noodles and mixed with butter.  

A classic version of coq au vin:

13988870574_373fc9c46c_z.jpg

So on my way home from work, my wife called to tell me she needed iron in her diet.. Or the dr. said.  So, she listed lentils and chicken livers..   I made a pot of lentils.. Chicken stock, white wine, a tomato, onion, thyme, a ton of whole garlic went into a clay pot at 400 for about 45 minutes.   Right before, i cooked down some onions, added 2 pounds of chicken livers from Pigasso Farms.  with some butter, sugar, salt, pepper, thyme, wine and then a nice balsamic.  Let it cook down and served on top. 

It was really good

13988867034_c111320c4d.jpg

I realize this could be someone's worst nightmare.. we thought it was delicious.   Miss K while not wanting a plate, enjoyed her few forks

13965319636_5a2ed1e216_z.jpg

• Like 8

Hot%20Turkey%20Sandwich%20April%2020th%2

Roasted a small whole turkey breakfast for the sole purpose of making hot turkey sandwiches with homemade fries.

This looks. so so so good. 

• Like 2

Tonight was garlic shrimp with a white wine/butter sauce and red pepper flakes. Served with Basmati rice and steamed asparagus.

• Like 2
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

mm84321,  could you explain how you made the soup? It looks amazingly thick and green - is there spinach in there?

Sure. Sweat a large, sliced spring onion in some olive oil, then add about a pound of sliced green asparagus and continue to sweat for around 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to a blender and pour over hot chicken stock until desired consistency, and I add about 2 bunches of blanched/shocked watercress for the color. Strain and season. 

• Like 2