• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

robirdstx

Blether – yeah, thanks :raz: !  I admit to having a raw vegetable preference – there are lots of them that I love raw but wouldn’t touch cooked.  I even adore raw potatoes!

We are going to TWO gatherings on Easter instead of hosting.  I’m taking a salad to one and a pie to the other.  I almost wish I were hosting.  The early meal is at 1:30 at Mr. Kim’s dad and stepmom’s.  The later one is at 5 at his mom’s.  We anticipate that his dad and stepmom will be irritated that we have to leave early and that his mom will be irritated that we aren’t starving.  Ah…family :rolleyes: ! 

Today I made the pecans for the salad I’m taking to the early meal:

med_gallery_3331_114_140734.jpg

These are Super Crunchy Glazed Spiced Pecans and they are seriously like magic.  You boil them in a sugar syrup and spices, then deep fry them.  They get this amazing lacquer-like glaze on them.  I’ll post a salad picture on Sunday.

• Like 4

Kim, those look seriously good. I've been making candied spiced pecans recently. You know, where you toast them and the toss them in melted butter spices and brown sugar glaze. The only problem is they disappear way to quickly.

making lamb shanks tonight to eat some time in the coming days.. Couldn't find white wine so, i poured a beer in.. 60 minute, dogfish.  tomatoes, thyme, carrots, onion, homemade chicken stock, chunks of bacon, some salt packed anchovies.

tossed it in a clay pot and baked high then super low.   still going.    at some point down the line,  i want the leftover lamb meat as a ravioli filling.. 

13930262344_a1d8b4861d.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 3

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Lots of great food.. Can you talk about these guys.

I made a standard mac (using little elbows) and cheese with pepperjack and a few shots of sriracha, baked it as usual, then, when cool and firm,  loaded it into gyoza wrappers.  I pan fried them on their base then put a few shots of water in the pan and covered it for 3 minutes to steam. Then cooked uncovered for a minute or so until the bases crisped up again. Served with sriracha-spiked ketchup.  Wish I had made about two dozen....

Might try to get it creamier next time.

Edited by gfweb (log)

Last night I made tri-tip on my smoker.  Cooked at 225F to an internal temp of 133F.  

Served with salad and roasted carrots.  They are done with butter, honey, salt, pepper and a dash of cumin and roasted at 425F for 35 minutes in my Breville Smart Oven.

tri-tip.jpg

• Like 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

IMG_1167.jpg

Took ramen fixings with me to work last night - I've never had enough time to eat away from my desk - but I allowed myself the luxury of not seeing patients until it was done.  

No green onions unfortunately (being it was Good Friday and everything was closed), but was able to use a bit of nice chuck eye that I'd sous v'ed and grilled up on the BGE.  

• Like 6

Family all together for supper Friday evening. Did my first ham in the Big Easy! It was a smoked picnic shoulder from Sobeys - 4.85 Kg. Cut off the skin, scored the fat, studded with cloves and brushed with honey. I had the BE on full and brushed the ham again with honey after an hour. 30 minutes more and it was perfect! That also freed the oven up for the scalloped potatoes and carrot dries. I also made a fresh pineapple - cranberry relish. It was perfect for the ham. 

Son and d-i-l made homemade ice cream (coffee flavour and peanut butter), and deep fried donuts for dessert!

3Ham0628.jpg

6Brussel Sprouts0633.jpg

2Relish0620.jpg

Robin'sDonutShop0694.jpg

Donut&IceCream0708.jpg

• Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

13945834883_83aca8e84f_z.jpg

Bread, butter, radishes, herb mayonnaise, salt

The mayonnaise is the same as that served for the oeufs mayo from a few days ago.

13945834393_bfb76d0575_z.jpg

Mesclun and herb salad -- baby mesclun, edible flowers, sorrel leaves, parsley leaves, mint leaves, tarragon leaves, oregano leaves, stonecrop leaves, shaved Appalachian cheese, extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt, lemon juice and black pepper.

13946230504_a78dd1e199_z.jpg

Spaghetti with ramps, ramp pesto and breadcrumbs

• Like 4

Smoked salmon with roasted carrots and cauliflower.  The salmon was brined, then dried for 5 hours in the fridge to form a pellicle.  Smoked with cherry wood and glazed with my signature honey-mustard-port-citrus glaze.  The veggies were tossed in olive oil, honey, salt, pepper and cumin.  The honey didn't disperse as evenly as I'd wanted, hence the "overdone" bits of cauliflower - but they were still yummy!

smoked-salmon-dinner.jpg

• Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Here is our Easter dinner.  baked ham

DSCN1370_zpsdd5cdcae.jpg

DSCN1376_zps01a72c1b.jpg

Povitica bread which is a tradition in the part of Kansas City where I grew up (Strawberry Hill)

DSCN1365_zps196cd52e.jpg

The rest of the meal was pretty traditional Southern style in memory of my mom: Greens, sweet potatoes, deviled eggs and not shown, cornbread muffins.

DSCN1373_zps04a0aa15.jpg

Dessert was Pineapple Upside Down Cake with rum spiked whipped cream

DSCN1361_zps03fe526d.jpg

DSCN1371_zps8a108ea1.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 10

image.jpg

Pasta with shrimp, fresh and canned tomatoes and some cream.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Love seeing holiday photos.. Really pretty as always Soba, rotus, Kim, Anna, MM, Franci, Norm, Magaretz, Paul and Dejah. And well, everyone I missed.. It's truly inspiring reading this thread.

gorgeous day Saturday so, we had dinner in the backyard.

13943520144_3ce40b2a2d.jpg

So the lamb shanks were browned and then left to cook in the clay pot for a few hours.. it was fall off the bone tender and I let it cool. The next day, i heated up the mixture in the oven for about an hour.. Before i threw it in the oven, I also put a half a bag of pre-cooked Rancho Gordo Yellow Eye Beans.. These were fantastic.

13943428074_de995f4e26_z.jpg

13919829786_4261c52460.jpg

We sat in the backyard and had quiet a feast. I plated table side and brought out my squeeze bottle of leek oil..

13943051135_81cde097a2.jpg

Side was peas with bacon, milk, shredded brussel sprouts, onions and ribbons of spring lettuces..

This is a beautiful dish and perfect for this time of year. Onions sweated with chunks of bacon making sure not to brown, throw in shaved sprouts, then milk, then peas, then ribbons of lettuces. A little salt a little sugar. Hit with a little mascarpone.

13919880876_f7b2953ae1.jpg

Then, last night, the inlaws gave us like a thirty minute warning that, they were heading over for dinner so, we were able to put the leftover sauce over pasta.. With more ramp oil..

13935161122_b15bcedaa6.jpg

We had leftover Lagunitas Breakfast Stout Ice Cream, banana cream pie and a pear brandy caramel.

13958307693_5603cce39e.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 11

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Explanation is neither romantic nor inspired. The canned tomatoes would have gone to waste.

AnnaN:  just curious: why did you use both canned and fresh tomatoes ?

not enough fresh ?

Explanation is neither romantic nor inspired. The canned tomatoes would have gone to waste otherwise.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Pork belly & lotus root soup.  More details here.

DSCN1275b_800.jpg

------------------------------

• Young spring carrots in chicken stock (stewing hen) w/ some shredded meat & bits of the "normal carrots" & ce;ery used in the stock.

• American wild-harvested shrimp (Atlantic) stir-fried w/ scallions, ginger, Shaohsing wine, jozo mirin, juice of fresh ripe calamansi limes, freshly ground Voatsiperifery pepper.  Bowl replenished from the pan as the eating progressed.

• White rice.

DSCN1245a_800.jpg

DSCN1249a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 5

image.jpg

Dressed baby romaine with duck breast and duck-fat crisped croutons.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Kind of got in the weeds at plating time so only one photo of a great fresh ham (13.5#) for dinner last night. The ham was seasoned with alaea salt, harissa blend and a little cinnamon. The ham was finished with a light glaze of pomegranate juice, pomegranate molasses and pineapple preserves.

P1020685(2).JPG

• Like 12