• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

robirdstx

Thanks to Ann_T, never again will I boil corned beef brisket.

The slow, low roasting in foil produced the most succulent corned beef I've ever had!

Eaten with plain sauteed cabbage, cabbage sauteed with fresh curry leaves and cumin, and steamed carrots.

CornedBeefCabbageCarrots0612.jpg

CornedBeef0613.jpg

• Like 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• Miso soup. Wakame not visible in pic, it's at the bottom of the bowl.

• Sliced beef stir-fried w/ plenty of thinly-sliced ginger & trimmed scallions, plus some chopped smashed garlic; w/ a sauce of Shaohsing wine, black sesame oil, oyster sauce and "aged soy sauce". 

• White rice.

DSCN1209a_800.jpg

DSCN1216b_800.jpg

Stuff for the stir-fried beef:

DSCN1206a_800.jpg

• Like 5

Chris – thanks for the information re: the rosemary – I’ll definitely be making the rub.

Ann – thank you for the kind words!  I have to say that being raised with an English stepdad, your roast, Yorkie and gravy are MY kind of comfort meal!

Soba- every time I see a picture of those gorgeous radishes, I practically swoon.  They are exactly like the ones that we had in Paris, so seeing yours brings back both a flavor and a lovely memory!

Kate – gorgeous pork and spring rolls.  Love the trick with the sugar in the water!

Dejah – beautiful corned beef!

Franci – I loved seeing your beef liver.  No one but me likes it, so I never make it.

Came down with bronchitis last week, so not a lot of cooking got done.  On Saturday, we finished up the meatloaf finally - Grilled meatloaf with BBQ sauce, mac n cheese, fries and baked beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_7499.jpg

Very lazy meal – leftover meatloaf, boxed mac n cheese, frozen fries and fixed up canned beans.  But it was very comforting – just what we needed.

• Like 3

Dejah, your corned beef dinner looks wonderful.   Thanks to you, I pulled a small corned beef out of the freezer yesterday and we are having it roasted for dinner. 

Blether,  Beautiful apple pie.

Unpopular Poet,  Gorgeous Tomahawk steak.

A few of our meals this past week.

Chicken%20and%20Green%20Beans%20in%20a%2

Chicken with green beans and black bean sauce.

Apple%20Kuchen%20April%2014th%2C%202014%

Apple Kuchen with warm cream sauce.

Penne%20with%20Italian%20Sausage%2C%20Zu

Penne with homemade Italian sausage, zucchini and olives.

Wings%20and%20TBQ%20Sauce%20April%2013th

Wings with homemade TBQ sauce and homemade potato chips.

• Like 5

Shrimp, chayote, and spinach soup with lemongrass – Gently fried shallots, lemongrass, smashed red chiles, and shrimp paste. Added coconut milk, chicken stock, and cubed chayote and simmered until the chayote was nearly tender. Added spinach and shrimp and simmered until done, finishing with fish sauce and sugar. Served with jasmine rice and sliced cucumbers.

Dogs were comically interested in the shrimp paste.  :laugh:

p884164209-4.jpg

I don't read this Dinner post too often for just this reason! It makes me hungry!

• Like 2

Miss K wanted sushi tonight and Miss A wanted a cheeseburger.  A juicy lucy to be exact.  I picked up three quarters of a pound of ground beef and martin buns.  

Toasted buns. 

13883712485_c904d5f9c0.jpg

Onions, lettuce, pickles, mustard, mayo, a shot of sriracha.  The meat mixture had 90 percent beef. So I added a pad of butter, a small spoon of hot korean bean paste, pepper and a little of my brisket rub.

Miss A had a juicy lucy, i had a 5 ounce burger flattened on the pan and topped with cheese.

13884137874_92fe97b84b.jpg

Burgers tonight with extra rolls and cheese for a later time,  came out to $9.40.. I walked to the store and had the burgers finished before the 28 dollar order of sushi arrived.  I like cooking. 

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 4

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Tonight we had the first fresh corn of the season and it was delicious. Served with wilted spinach, carrots and turchetta.

P1020676(1).JPG

The turcehtta was prepared over the weekend with a variety of other meats cooked sous vide and finished with a light pecan smoke. The sous vide session included turchetta, turkey tenderloins,turkey thighs stuffed with homemade chorizo, legs and wings seasoned with cajun seafood boil with lemon and butter, and pork two ways with five spice and New Mexico chili rub.

P1020657(1).JPG

P1020670(1).JPG

• Like 5

mm beautiful king salmon.

Blether gorgeous apple pie.

basquecook you're killing me with that pantry risotto.

One of today's dishes also is courtesy of basquecook, who hooked me up with a good source for frozen roasted Hatch chiles. Recipe was a blend of his and Kenji's from SE - ingredients were kept to an absolute minimum tho (i.e. no tomatillos etc.) Pork shoulder from Eataly. 3 hours at 225 F.

So - northeast (fiddleheads) to start, and southwest (chile verde) main.

fiddleheads.jpg

chile_verde.jpg

• Like 4

Variant on Daniel Humm Venison dish.

Served for 47 people.

Venison with Pear, Beetroot and Goat’s Cheese. In the middle of the pear was a bacon pannacotta topped with a mushroom, bacon and onion duxelle. The sauce was a reduced veal jus layered with blueberries, juniper berries, and chocolate. Venison was cooked sous vide then seared on a commercial flattop grill and rolled in a reduced veal jus glaze and topped with brown butter and juniper salt.

Venison 2 .jpg

Edited by nickrey (log)
  • Like 5

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

image.jpg

Mushroom omelette with thyme and a side of carrot salad from My Paris Kitchen. I think that mushrooms and thyme are one of the most perfect of food pairings.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Warm onion tart; smoked trout; white turnip dressed in a safflower oil/kombu-ponzu/soy/grated onion vinaigrette with a dab of doppio concentrato and fresh-ground black pepper:

2014-04-16%2022.14.50.jpg

• Like 6

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

That onion tart looks so good!  Lovely meals as always, everyone.  Waiting for Spring weather around here.  It got deliciously warm last week and then……it snowed.  Sigh.

So, to keep warm I made a venison pot pie

Image 1.jpg

Image 3.jpg

During the couple of Spring days we grilled pork chops and had cheesy brussels sprouts over baked taters

IMG_0779.JPG

• Like 10

Comfort food for the lingering winter dinners.

Meatloaf and mushrooms

meatloaf.jpg

Pepperjack Mac and Cheese Dumplings

mac dumpling good.jpg

Roast Chicken with Ann T's corn pudding

roast chix.jpgcorn pudding.jpg

Steamed salmon and lemon risotto

salmon good.jpg

• Like 11

I don't read this Dinner post too often for just this reason! It makes me hungry!

Thank you, TheCulinary Library, awfully kind of you.

No pictures because we had guests, but we served grilled five-spice chicken, cucumber salad, regular salad, and fried rice. The chicken marinated overnight with ginger, garlic, soy sauce, five-spice powder, sugar, and oil, and then I added freshly-ground star anise while lighting the grill.

• Like 2

Ann – I love chicken wings and yours are gorgeous.  I had to look up TBQ sauce – it sounds delicious!

Steve – fantastic sounding dinner – but my eyes kept straying to that CORN :wub: !

Blether – was that turnip raw?  If so, I just might eat that :raz: !

Shelby – what a beautiful pot pie!  Crust, gravy and everything else looked perfect and in just the right proportions.

gfweb – lovely dinner.  Isn’t Ann’s corn pudding delectable?

Last night my mother and Jessica came over for dinner and to decorate Easter eggs.  I made Dejah’s oven-fried chicken:

med_gallery_3331_114_54109.jpg

Everyone really liked this a lot.  I did it with chicken tenders since I had some in the freezer.  This was the first time I ever did oven-fried chicken that worked – nicely crunchy and moist.  THANK YOU, DEJAH!!! I served it with slaw and raw vegetables:

med_gallery_3331_114_137957.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_113012.jpg

Dessert was pineapple and strawberries drizzled with chocolate sauce and sprinkled with toasted coconut:

med_gallery_3331_172_136201.jpg

• Like 5