• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

robirdstx

Thanks!

So, I had the fish soaking in buttermilk with a little salt and pepper and a few shots of tabasco sauce.  Then, I just used AP Flour, paprika, garlic salt, celery salt, salt, pepper, dry mustard and some dry rub that I had from last summer.

Deep fried the fish two at a time, flipped at the 2 minute mark. Hit with lemon, served with tartar sauce.  

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 2

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

image.jpg

Not often I get to post a meal that serves more than just me. Chicken with apples and onions in a cider sauce. Celeriac and cauliflower mash with scallions. Maple glazed butternut squash with cinnamon. Cucumber salad with home made mayonnaise. Roasted carrots and sweet potatoes. Steamed bok choy.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Kids had a date night tonight so I made dinner just for me tonight.  They can have some for left overs tomorrow.  I had a spinach salad with strawberries and black olives.  Dressing was Framboise, olive oil, dry mustard and salt.  I had rice, home made (in a mason jar) sauerkraut and pork loin stuffed with bacon and mushrooms. 

DSCN1351_zpse0160d7a.jpg

DSCN1355_zps03e540ad.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 10

Used up the tail-end pieces of halibut that I had in the freezer. I pulsed the fish lightly, mixed with fresh bread crumbs, chives, fresh basil, a stalk of celery, an egg, whole grain Dijon mustard, and salt and pepper. Formed the mixtured into 4 patties, chilled, then coated with panko. The patties were pan fried then finished off in the oven.

The flavour was good, nothing overpowering the fish, but I would have liked more texture in the fish next time.

Perhaps I should hand-chop, or use pre-cooked fish. Eaten with mango chili sauce, roasted beets, steamed green beans, and boiled baby taters fried in the leftover oil after I took the patties off.

HalibutFishCakes0604.jpg

HalibutCakeBite0606.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

No pics, but last night was a mixed bag...

1) Beef balls [Venus brand] in chicken stock [Maggi] with plentiful sliced green cabbage and a bundle of Taiwanese min6 sin3 (mee sua) stirred in and cooked in the same pot towards the end.

2) Troy Armstrong's "Supercell", Mozart "Jupiter" symphony, Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto#1 (Sean Chen, pianist) w/ the ISO at Hilbert Circle Theatre.

3) Filet-O-Fish (2 for $4! Still!!; extra tartar sauce :-) ) for afterwards.  (Darn, I just missed getting some Chicago beef sandwiches at Fat John's on account of their just closing)  I polished off the F-O-Fs at home while finishing off reading Robert van Gulik's 'Red Pavilion', with some Ti Kuan Yin Oolong tea to wash it down.  :-D 

image.jpg

Leftover mustard chicken (see Cooking from My Paris Kitchen topic) pulled from the bone and re-heated with some added cream and served over pasta with a few frozen peas.

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Norm,

That looks amazing.

image.jpg

Just a salad but one in which I seem to have hit the texture nail on the head. Crispy apple, crunchy toasted walnuts, creamy blue cheese and soft greens. Dressed with pomegranate molasses vinaigrette.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Learning the Hispanic language--tronpa de puerco,Pata de puerco,lengua de puerco, orejus de puerco,pierna de puerco= pozole broth

I cooked all the important parts with garlic and onion for about 4 hrs.

Mean time I cooked the Corn seperately added a touch of chile-- here I used Jaunita's Can Hominy about the same cook time.  Cooled the two over night.   Most people here arent fans of lips foot and ears,  so I  didnt add them in the final dish for our dinner.  Tongue you bet and shread shoulder--Cabbage, onion radish and lime sides.  I just didn t have a good Mexican oregano?

Pozole Soup.jpg

• Like 4

Its good to have Morels

This weekend, we had 32 diners come to the place for an event.    I never really remember to record our meals, or even photograph things..  

Here is the menu:

• Kale, Pomegranate, Filberts, Valdeon, Meyer Lemon Creme Fraiche
  • Asparagus, Duck Egg, Salmon Roe, Ramp Pesto
  • Wild Spanish Mackerel, Treviso Radicchio, Avocado, Dijon
  • Game Hen, Spiced Lentil Puree, Cardamom Crema, Burnt Shallots
  • Cheese, Truffle Honey, Quince Paste
  • Brûléed Melon, Mango Sorbet, Basil, Maldon
  • S'more Brownie, Housemade Marshmallow, Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout Gelato, Smoked sea salt 

One recorded dish, that was photographed below in an incomplete state,  is this asparagus dish.. I am proud of this dish as it was a complete collaboration and our first time making the dish. In fact, outside of the kale salad, every dish was our first time making it.  

Steamed Asparagus, with a ramp pesto vinaigrette, crispy pancetta with a sous vide duck egg resting on it, topped with salmon roe.    This dish came about as, our fish guy last week delivered us salmon caviar instead of our regular black caviar.. So, we had to go out and buy different caviar and were left with this salmon roe.  After seeing ramps at the green market, the rest of the dish came together.  

Here is a grainy photo taken by one of the diners that had the kitchen table seat..  This is prior to the pesto and the salmon roe. 

13845590743_c224b4f0c3.jpg

.We had been playing with bruleed melons this week.. We served that as a course on Saturday. People were raving about it.. I took delight in revealing, the melons were bought at Mr. Coco for a dollar a piece. We got about 4 to 6 servings per melon.  Last night I had a dream of doing something with the bruleed melons and also broiling blue cheese with it and serving it with some ham..  But, we shall see. 

It was also a rare time that we served poultry at our place.  Brined the game hens for a day.  We smoked cornish game hens for a few hours at a super low heat, it was covered in zaatar.. We then took them out, let them rest for a few hours.. Roasted at 450 for 10 minutes, cut into portions and then broiled for two minutes to crisp the skin.  Served on a lentil dal with cardamom scented crema and crispy burnt shallots..  That was really good.  

But, the second most fun thing I think we served was the Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout gelato.. Luckily enough was made that, we have a full pint leftover.. We did not cook the beer out so, it remains to be a boozy and delicious concoction.  Homemade marshmallows, homemade brownies and this really beautiful gelato.. It almost tastes like caramel and coffee ice cream.  

Anyway, that was my brief summary of this weekends meal.. People were super happy and it was another really eclectic mix of people..  I hope someone blogs about it.  

A guest that has come several times through out the years told us, it was one of their favorite dinners they have had with us.  

• Like 3

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

This weekend, we had 32 diners...

Now I'm trying to remember where it was I heard of Guinness and Mars Bar ice-cream.  It's been intriguing me ever since.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

... Guinness and Mars Bar ice-cream...

Come to think of it, I seem to remember it was Guinness ice-cream with a Mars Bar Ripple.  We were in a raspberry-growing region and raspberry ripple was a big childhood favourite.

Sorry, Unpopular Poet.  That's a fine-looking piece of meat.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

tonight dinner was made with leftover sauces and ingredients from an event this weekend.

Risotto with onions, peas, mascarpone, a little ham, ramp pesto and salmon roe.  

So good.  water stock. started with a bacon and  onion, then vermouth, peas, mascarpone, pesto a little in the rice while cooking, then the rest while plated.. Topped with salmon roe..

a no shop dinner. 

13860080125_1b798a2d71_c.jpg

it might look a little more fluffy here

13860074873_cb4feccd14.jpg

• Like 9

Dinner tonight was boneless, skinless, chicken thighs cooked Nonya Fried Chicken style.  We also had rice, two kinds of kim che and a dipping sauce.

DSCN1360_zps1407c27b.jpg

that looks insanely good.  

• Like 2