• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

robirdstx

image.jpg

Beef ribs with horseradish and a small bowl of pickled beets (home made).

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Soba, nice spaghetti. I like the idea of being served without any sauce!

Here is my salad again, i'm trying various combos to catch a right one. This is not final and this time I added olive oil but i forgot to take another pic (was very hungry).

Salad.jpg

• Like 2

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

Rod: there was a sauce, but it's quite light. Consists of white wine, olive oil, some of the fond from frying the scallops and a tablespoon of ramp pesto. In addition, I undercooked the pasta by 1-2 minutes, then drained it, then finished cooking it in the pan with the sauce. That's probably the reason there's no visible sauce, but you'll have to believe me when I say that it wasn't the least bit dry.  :wink:

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

A lovely sous vide rack of lamb, finished on the sear burner on the grill, steamed Okinawa Potatoes with gray sea salt and chamber infused, grilled zucchini.  I rarely make lamb, so this was my first foray into sous vide lamb.  Doubtful I will ever cook it anything but sous vide in the future.  The picture and plating are pretty lousy, but the food was delicious.

2014-04-05 21.13.39.jpg

• Like 5

A few meals from the last 10 days. Having put together this post I realise it was quite heavy on the pig!

Ox.JPG

Juniper cured ox cheeks, SV for 36 hours, with creamy polenta.

Ramen.JPG

First attempt at a ramen w/ Chinese pork belly.

Sea bass.JPG

Sumac & cumin crusted sea bass, crispy spiced pork belly w/ lemon, pomegranate & coriander couscous

Pigs ear.JPG

Pork cheek, black pudding, curried lentils

Taco.JPG

Pork tacos, pineapple salsa, guacamole and chicharrones

Knuckle.JPG

Popped across to Munich for a few days and had this pork knuckle in beer sauce with potato dumpling

• Like 7

My brother visited from Tunisia so we ate... Indian food. Made rajma (kidney bean and tomato curry), palak anda (spinach and egg curry) raita (cucumber and yogurt sauce) and basmati. Drank a Gruner Veltliner with it.

It is so sweet to have dinner with my family!

057 (640x480).jpg

062 (480x640).jpg

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)
  • Like 7

Beautiful, Soba and Anna! And everyone else.

American-style spaghetti and meat sauce. I experimented slightly with touches that I never would have encountered in my youth in the '70s. Mixed ground lamb with the ground beef. Chopped a medium-hot Indian chile (but despite it being quite spicy to the taste, the kick was completely lost in the sauce). Not to mention the fresh chopped parsley on top - that would have been quite unheard of (as would flat-leaf parsley in general).

spaghetti.jpg

• Like 5

Today, made the Kalua Pulled Pork as posted by Kim Shook. Started it early in the morning before I went to babysit with our granddaughter. Got home around 7:30 and the kitchen smelled delicious!

Made up some carrot fries and stir-fried bok choy as sides. There wasn't much liquid in the bottom of the pot, so I added half a can of pineapple in its juice and simmered it while the carrots were roasting. It was really good!

The recipe called for Hawaiian Red Salt. There is no source for this ingredient. How much would it have affected the flavour, Kim?

I did wrap the meat in banana leaves. Always liked the fragrance when I used it to BBQ fish, and we liked the combination with the liquid smoke. Thanks, Kim!

KaluaPulledPork0600.jpg

The carrots fries were sprinkled with Curry Seed Salt, a gift from San Diego via friends who wintered there.

CarrotFrieswith CurrySeedSalt0602.jpg

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

image.jpg

Shrimp and pasta with a very simple tomato cream sauce.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I wanted mussels last night but, the shop had none.. So, I picked up 12 clams and a pound of squid for about 9 dollars.. We had some homemade pasta dough leftover from the weekend.  Rolled out some angel hair.  I cut the squid in a way where I opened it up into a flat square.  I then scored it in a checkerboard.  And cooked it on a super hot cast iron pan and pressed it down.  It got super crisp, salted it and then cut it into crunchy strips.. I  tossed the crunchy squid in with the clam sauce. It added a nice textural component.  The angel hair was perfect if I don't say so myself.  

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Dejah – your oven-fried chicken looks great.  I’ve tried over and over again and never had any luck with it.  I’ll be trying your method!  Do you know the ratio of cheese to crumbs?  And I’m so glad you liked the pork.  We have a freezer full now, so we’ll be enjoying it regularly for the next couple of months!  Regarding the salt – I didn’t have the red salt either and just used some Hawaiian pink salt (not pickling salt) that I got in my stocking this Christmas.

Franci – those ribs look beautiful. 

Soba – Mr. Kim LOVES kumquats and I’ve never used them for anything but garnish.   Never, ever occurred to me to put them in a salad.  Just sliced into the salad?

basquecook – your ‘pick up’ meals are better than my feasts that a month of planning goes into :laugh: !

An early Sunday dinner with my mother.  Roasted shrimp:

med_gallery_3331_114_31430.jpg

Ponzu marinated halibut:

med_gallery_3331_114_150930.jpg

Thanks to Dejah for the idea.  Very subtle and complemented the fish perfectly.  Salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_92998.jpg

Corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_117918.jpg

Much too early for corn, but Mr. Kim brought it home from the new Kroger and it was really good – tender, sweet and crisp.  As good as any mid-summer corn we got last year.  I’m starting my summer corn binge early if they keep getting this stuff! Three cheese demi from Panera:

med_gallery_3331_114_16681.jpg

Also from Panera, some Danish and a chocolate croissant for dessert:

med_gallery_3331_114_76529.jpg

Mr. Kim has been battling a sinus infection and still going to work every day, so I thought a comfort meal was in order last night.  Meatloaf:

med_gallery_3331_114_128401.jpg

This was a new recipe for me from the website “afamilyfeast.com”.  The meatloaf tasted great – I’ll definitely use it again.  But I think that those white places are unappetizing :unsure: .  It’s the panade and didn’t brown up very well.  I guess that’s why most recipes call for some sort of coating for the crust.  The recipe was for the meatloaf and also gravy.  The gravy was NOT so successful.  It was just blah and boring.  Not much beefy flavor.  I didn’t have any beef stock in the freezer, so I used canned.  I’m sure that that is the culprit.  Plated with whipped potatoes and green beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_137236.jpg

And “gravied”:

med_gallery_3331_114_103035.jpg

The gravy LOOKS good, huh?  My potatoes where probably the best I’ve ever made – incredibly creamy and fluffy.  I remembered all the stuff that chefs say about why their potatoes are better than ours and used half and half and the better part of a stick of butter to 2 good-sized russet potatoes.  I’m convinced.  

• Like 11

Kim -- yes, just sliced. actually, you slice the kumquats, then combine them with chopped dates and spinach in a bowl, dress the salad, then plate. then shave cheese on top, and serve.

Tonight I'll be making kumquat vinegar for use in a salad later this week. Pix to follow.

Kim: I think I had about 1/3 cheese 2/3 panko.  I didn't really measure once I decided to mix the two. I've never used mayo instead of egg wash before, but I think it must be this that kept the chicken so moist.

I used Himalyam Pink salt as that's what I was given in MY Xmas stocking. :laugh:

Ate the rest of the pulled pork with a throw together BBQ sauce on top of penne. It was good!

Picked up a corned beef brisket at Sobeys and will try slow roasting it in the oven per Ann_T. Heading off across the border for some retail therapy, so I will look forward to making that belated St. Patrick's Day meal on the weekend!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ribs. Hickory for about five hours. Spice rub was Meathead's Memphis Dust with my usual modifications (the most notable of which is cutting the amount of sugar--there's still a lot but not quite the 1.5 cups he uses). Instead of making a sauce--I usually make his 'adult' mustard-based sauce--I used a commercial one. This time it was a new offering from my local supermarket's home brand. It sounded interesting and wasn't offensive: it wasn't based on that stock-standard blend of really sweet/really umami, in other words. 

DSC_0022_zps8e8ea83f.jpg

• Like 8

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between