• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

robirdstx

Here's the pulled pork leftovers, served with the leftover cole slaw and twice baked potato.   The potato was first baked in the smoker with the pork for the last 4 hours.  Usually this is enough but the potatoes were underdone, so the next night they got halved and a second bake in the toaster oven (BSO) for 30 minutes at 425F.  So good they didn't even need butter.

pulled-pork-dinner.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

so that potato was 4 hr at around 200 ?  Smokey ?

then 30 min at 425 ?

4 hrs at 225F.  Usually that cooks them enough, but these needed a bit more.  Because they were underdone, we didn't eat them the first night and rebaked them the second night.  The skin had a nice smokey flavor and the second bake re-crisped them nicely.  Obviously they were sliced in half before the second bake.  The 30 minutes at 425F was from refrigerator cold.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

We usually get short ribs flanken cut, cook them in the pan rare-medium rare.

This time we got the wrong ribs, clearly not the kind you can cook in minutes...I finally decided to try them sous vide.

We took the first bag out tonight after 24 hour and I still have two pouches in water. I'll see tomorrow how it goes but I definitely prefer my husband quick pan seared ribs to the one we had tonight.

• Like 1

Kim: cooking the meat first in milk adds a touch of sweetness and tames the acidity that would otherwise be present in the sauce, from the wine and the tomatoes.

============

13503088494_ba6028378a_z.jpg

Pea shoots, with rocambole garlic, white pepper and sesame oil

13502836963_98e1bbe707_z.jpg

Green salad, red wine vinaigrette

13502746675_a467178764_z.jpg

Clockwise from top right: radish greens and leeks, with crispy fried shallots; broiled cod; glazed heirloom carrots and French breakfast radishes

• Like 3

Double-boiled (steamed) Herbal Duck Soup.

Two duck legs, cut-up, skin-on, fat retained.  Herbs & stuff, some Himalayan salt, some hon mirin [Takara], some Shaohsing wine, water.  All in a heavy porcelain “steamer bowl” with heavy lid.

The herbs & stuff:

DSCN1036a_800.jpg

Top row:  "Yook Chook" (玉竹; Yale: yuk6 juk1; Polygonatum odoratum (Mill.) Druce), “Kei Chee” (杞子; Yale: gei2 ji2; dried wolfberries/goji berries), “Hung Chou” (紅棗; Yale: hung4 jou2; Ziziphus jujuba).

Middle row:  “Tong Sam” (黨參; Yale: dong2 sam1; Codonopsis pilosula Nannf), “Wai San” (淮山; Yale: waai4 saan1; Dioscorea opposita).

Lower left:  “Chueen Kung Peen” (川芎片; Yale: chyun1 gung1 pin3; Ligusticum wallichii; syn. Ligusticum chuanxiong, “Szechuan lovage (root)”)

Lower right:  "Tong Kwai" (當歸; Yale: dong1 gwai1; "Radix Angelica Sinensis"; Angelica sinensis).

Being steamed (8 hours):

DSCN1044a_800.jpg

Finished soup in steaming bowl:

DSCN1054a_800.jpg

Some of it in a serving bowl.  Some of the yam slices (the Dioscorea), Solomon’s Seal rhizome (the Polygonatum), a red date or two, and Goji berries were also scooped out to eat.

DSCN1060a_800.jpg

• Like 6

my friend from San Fran is in town with her husband.  she is pregnant and eating vegetarian and gluten free.  they came over for dinner last night and gave us the good news.. they just put a bid in on a house and it was accepted.. so, our one friends got pregnant and moved to Oakland and our other group of friends are pregnant and moving to Brooklyn.   

Anyway, I made a communal sort of dinner.. I had this long wooden board and I poured hot polenta that I made with salt, garlic and rosemary.  I made a homemade pesto with a mortar and pestle, about a year ago, while in chelsea market, she made me buy this tomato sauce she wanted to try.. it's from italy and super fresh. like a san marzano puree, so I gently heated that up.. I pressure cooked chick peas and then poured wine, a ton of paprika, a shot of tabasco, a shot of sriracha and some garlic..  cooked kale with wine. I stuffed button mushrooms with their stems and some shallots, garlic and cheese and I also cooked shitake mushrooms in oil and garlic.  

It was a nice presentation and cool to do.. Reminded me of something similar to when Grant Achez or whatever his name is, at Alinea,  makes you that final dessert on the silicone platter, or like something Ethiopian.  I also fried up a few final pieces of marinating chicken for the husband and myself.  

To start we had butter lettuce salad with red onion in a apple cider vinegar dressing with a little sugar.. 

13500247715_d9ec0b6194.jpg

325 for 12 minutes

13500346743_973bc2a5ae.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 3

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Made the popular citrus baked chicken, along with unpictured asparagus and mashed yukon gold potatoes with sour cream and chives.

image.jpg

Edited by BeeZee (log)
  • Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Oh those senior moments! Forgot that I had already posted the pics of the lamb and Ryan. Hopefully, this "edit" removed that part and left the salad on.

Hubby said the salad was more appropriate as dessert, so he did. :rolleyes:

Fennel, orange, Yu pear, cucumber, Romaine lettuce, coconut flakes, dried cranberries, toasted pecans with mango chipotle dressing.

FennelAsiuanPearOrangeSalad0552.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Franci – thank you!  That clams and lobster dish is beautiful!  I love clams and never cook them since Mr. Kim is not a fan.

Kate – so great to see you posting!  You’ve been missed.

Mark – the hash looks great.

Soba – thanks!  Those are some of the most gorgeous vegetables I’ve ever seen.  Radishes are one of my favorites, so I’m especially drawn to them!

Dinner last night:

med_gallery_3331_114_5839.jpg

Chili mac w/ cheese and sour cream.               

• Like 4

Last night's dinner was surf'n turf with Niman Ranch lamb and Royal Red shrimp. Served with roasted asparagus and baked potato. Easy meal that really hit the spot.

Looks tasty.

In the bowl is drawn butter?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

quick dinner.. in an hour,  I shopped and we had eaten dinner.   spinach with a little cream and garlic,button mushrooms roasted in a pan.  butter lettuce with red onion and endive salad.. Defrosted lamb chops in the freezer. 

It's so convenient living across from the grocery store.  5 bucks worth of vegetables and still working off that lamb in the freezer.   Cheap good dinner. 

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Dry-fried green beans and spaghetti aglio e olio.

attachicon.gifdry_fried_green_beans.jpg

attachicon.gifspaghetti.jpg

Two of my favorites right there, Patrick

Kim, I hope you like the cilantro beef

Coconut rice (nasi lemak) – Jasmine rice steamed with pandan leaves and bay leaves, mixed with coconut milk, and then topped with sliced egg sheet, shredded chiles, sliced cucumber, and crispy shallots.

Stir-fried Napa cabbage with garlic and fermented soybean paste

Also made aromatic spiced beef soup, but had to rush off to class and didn’t get a picture. Beef chuck cubes simmered with ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, bay leaves, and pepper, served with crispy shallots, shredded celery leaves, cilantro, and tomatoes.

p967095422-4.jpg

• Like 6

Tonight we had chuck steak made sous vide (36 hours at 125F) with mushroom sauce and roasted Brussels sprouts.  The sauce was sauteed mushrooms a reduction of the jus from the meat (from the sous vide bag), mixed with some cream sherry, a splash of red wine, a little soy sauce and butter.  The sprouts are extra roasted so they are crispy on the outside and mushy on the inside, which is how DW likes them best.  

The meat was super tender and flavorful - as tender as the best prime rib but with more flavor.

chuck-with-brussels.jpg

• Like 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com