• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

robirdstx

menuinprogress

would you share more details on how you did that CB > pastrami ?

Sure. The corned beef was rinsed and soaked twice in cold water for 30 minutes each time. It was dried, rubbed with coarsely ground black pepper and coriander seed, plus a little bit of garlic powder and paprika. We smoked it on our Weber Smokey Mountain with pecan wood for 6 1/2 hours at about 225F to an internal temp of 165F.

After smoking, it was wrapped in tin foil and rested at room temp for a couple of hours. We refrigerated it overnight before slicing.

• Like 1

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

Sure. The corned beef was rinsed and soaked twice in cold water for 30 minutes each time. It was dried, rubbed with coarsely ground black pepper and coriander seed, plus a little bit of garlic powder and paprika. We smoked it on our Weber Smokey Mountain with pecan wood for 6 1/2 hours at about 225F to an internal temp of 165F.

After smoking, it was wrapped in tin foil and rested at room temp for a couple of hours. We refrigerated it overnight before slicing.

Next time try steaming it to 203f before slicing. It's the key to tender pastrami.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

image.jpg

Sink salad (everything but the kitchen sink).

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow

aside from the black truffle  ( I seem to be currently out )

Id love to know how to make this.  esp. the raw bits.

this might be a fantastic 'second tier' dish

do the same with artichoke , well  that would be top tier.

still out of the B.T's tough

just to confirm that the Artichoke is Top Tier  

1 ) I grew up not far from Watsonville CA  The artichoke capital of the whole world.  

2 ) Henry VIII  of England and various Continental Provinces currently administered by FR  ( temporarily ? )

decree'd  that all artichokes in his Continental Domains were a Royal Food Stuff.  only he could eat them.  remember he was a Big Boy.

this is true.  puts the artichoke in a different perspective   cant recall his view on the Asp as delicious as it might be.

• Like 1

The bottom of the plate is covered in an asparagus sauce made by mixing about 6 components: an asparagus relish, asparagus puree, olive oil emulsion, dried asparagus tips, a brunoise of raw asparagus, and an egg cooked sous vide for 35 minutes at 68F. The relish and puree are made by sweating sliced asparagus in olive oil, then adding some chicken stock and cooking until completely reduced. Half you puree, the other half you chop. The olive oil emulsion is simply a soft boiled egg yolk mixed with truffle juice and emulsified with about 3/4 cup olive oil. The dried tips are the quartered heads of a bundle or two of asparagus, which are sauteed briefly in olive oil then dried in a 170F oven. This all gets mixed in certain proportions with the egg, and seasoned with lemon. The asparagus themselves are cooked in salted, boiling water, then sliced in half and coated in an asparagus jus which is made by sweating a pound of sliced asparagus, along with any trimmings, and adding a cup of boiling chicken stock, then simmering, covered for 30 minutes. This is strained and reduced to a glaze, then emulsified with some olive oil, butter, and a tablespoon or so of truffle juice. The truffle sauce around the plate is made by sweating some (a lot) of truffle in olive oil, then simmering, covered, for 20 minutes with mineral water. This is blended, and mixed with some truffle juice, oil, and seasoned with sherry vinegar. The "raw" component is shaved asparagus seasoned with fleur de sel and olive oil.  

many thanks

Ill make this but it would be quite like yours.

however, when you have nothing better to do   (  :huh:  )

think Artichoke.  the ones with the big thick stems.  peel those stems as you know  :  heart of the 'choke'  right there.

Last night:

Min Sin (mee sua) [this one] tossed w/ a sauce of {chopped shallots and scallions sautéed in peanut oil and with some fish sauce [Red Boat] & ryori-shu [Morita]}. Accompanied by fresh baby spinach blanched in oiled hot water.

• Pickled (salty & sour) mustard & duck leg soup.  This version was steamed (i.e. "double-boiled soup"; Cantonese-type "燉湯") for about 3 hours.  With Campari tomatoes, sliced ginger, smashed garlic cloves, a bit of salt, a few dashes each of (hon) mirin [Takara] and rice vinegar [Kong Yen aged premium].¶¶  No additional oil added, the duck fat was used to provide the oil in the dish.

¶¶ ETA: ...and a decent amount of cracked white peppercorns.

DSCN1016a_800.jpg

Soup just out from the steaming pot:

DSCN1021a_800.jpg

A portion, bowled.

DSCN1024a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

Dinner for 18 last night... Family came over and one person only eats chicken.. So, we decided to make fried chicken, wedge salad with blue cheese, baked potatoes, mac and cheese, homemade biscuits,baked beans, collard greens cooked for several hours and homemade tres leches cake. 

13470580845_b62dbc252b.jpg

13470744575_2beeb910b2.jpg

wedge

13470559425_84d12e6f68.jpg

Biscuit

13470650143_ff86b481bd.jpg

collard.. mother in law does not like cider vinegar so, i used a jar of whole grain mustard with stout in the greens. 

13471338454_e178c41ab1.jpg

leches

13470918494_4440b13e1b.jpg

chicken

13470542505_d7e7ba2d4c.jpg

salt baked potatoes

13471012555_e30da1a862.jpg

have not eaten yet today.. 

Dinner was slightly less the 120 bucks..  

Not bad for feeding that many folks. 

• Like 5

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Last night:

Min Sin (mee sua) [this one] tossed w/ a sauce of {chopped shallots and scallions sautéed in peanut oil and with some fish sauce [Red Boat] & ryori-shu [Morita]}. Accompanied by fresh baby spinach blanched in oiled hot water.

• Pickled (salty & sour) mustard & duck leg soup.  This version was steamed (i.e. "double-boiled soup"; Cantonese-type "燉湯") for about 3 hours.  With Campari tomatoes, sliced ginger, smashed garlic cloves, a bit of salt, a few dashes each of (hon) mirin [Takara] and rice vinegar [Kong Yen aged premium].¶¶  No additional oil added, the duck fat was used to provide the oil in the dish.

attachicon.gifDSCN1016a_800.jpg

I like the stoneware bowl. (food looks great too) But is that hand thrown? 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Pulled pork (not yet pulled, straight from the smoker):

pulled-pork.jpg

Served with homemade cole slaw which was just cabbage and carrots but I've been adding horseradish to the dressing.  Gives it a nice zing.  (I never measure, but it's about 1/2 cup of mayo, 2 tsp horseradish, 4 tsp sugar and 1 tbs or so of white vinegar.)  Also, we've been keeping the dressing separate and putting it on the slaw as we dish it - like you'd do with normal salad dressing.  Keeps the slaw from getting soupy and it can last several days that way.

• Like 8

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Ann – that St. Patrick’s day dinner looked wonderful.  I don’t much care for the boiled version, either – yours looks perfect!  And the sandwiches after?  My word.

Bruce – your beef slivers w/ cilantro looked and sounded so good.  And it’s something that I could eat without the peppers – I could just add them at the end for Mr. Kim after taking out my portion.

Teapot – beautiful halibut!  I’ve got to see if I can find some that doesn’t cost the earth this year!

Baron – how in the world do you get your asparagus peeled so perfectly?  It is just lovely.

Soba – dying over the Eataly pictures!  I’ve never done the milk in Bolognese thing – what do you think it added?

dcarch – ok, you!  Smart aleck!  Professional photographers?  You say that then show that pork shoulder picture :raz: ?  Gorgeous and delicious looking!

Norm – she stole your smoker and you let her live???  You ARE a good guy :wink: .  Those hens are beautiful.  Thank you for posting the recipe!

Dejah – we love lamb, too!  I’d pay to have anything in your house fixed if you made that lamb for me!

Basquecook – love the look of that fried chicken dinner.  I think we have a mutual friend who would love every bit of it, too!

For dinner the other night, I tried a new recipe.  Not this:

med_gallery_3331_114_129293.jpg

This was just Kim’s obligatory salad!  The recipe test was for ‘Chicken Pillows’.  This dish was a result of insomniac perusing of Pinterest. I could tell that the recipe was going to be trashy (Pillsbury Crescent Rolls and cream of chicken soup? How could it not?). But would it be good trashy (Paula Deen) or bad trashy (Sandra Lee)? Turns out to be somewhere in the middle. I have no objection to whomp bread dough. But that unmistakable ‘cream of whatever soup’ flavor is off-putting. Even with the addition of sour cream and real cheese, it reeks of FAKE. The original recipe called for no seasoning AT ALL. I added S&P, parsley and hot sauce to the chicken mixture, but it still needs something to amp up the interest. A friend suggested broccoli. Not a bad idea, I think. But the thing is – do I like this enough to devote the time and effort it would take to ‘fix’ this recipe. To be honest, probably not.  But here’s what it looked like:

med_gallery_3331_114_123568.jpg

Bite:

med_gallery_3331_114_19420.jpg

There’s just something about a rich, creamy chicken filling inside a crunchy bread crust that appeals to me.  Maybe I’ll make them again and just serve them with some homemade gravy.

My all by myself dinner tonight while Mr. Kim plays poker:

med_gallery_3331_114_27653.jpg

Fried eggs on toast with salami.  He’ll be home in time for the UVA tipoff, but I couldn’t wait after reading through this thread!

• Like 4

Kim, I love cook for myself meals. Fried egg on toast and salame is something I'd very happy to eat.

I've be playing a little bit with chinese rice cakes recently.

Tonight we had clams and lobster Nian Gao

image.jpg

Two days ago I tried bacon, scallions and edamame. Also good.

• Like 5

Kim, I love cook for myself meals. Fried egg on toast and salame is something I'd very happy to eat.

I've be playing a little bit with chinese rice cakes recently.

Tonight we had clams and lobster Nian Gao

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Two days ago I tried bacon, scallions and edamame. Also good.

Beautiful dish, Franci. I love anything that involves nian gao!

Last night:

A portion, bowled.

attachicon.gifDSCN1024a_800.jpg

Oops.  I forgot that pickled plums also went into this version of the soup.  (Ripped-apart flesh plus the stone as well)  In a sense this can be considered as aTeochew-style soup, for those interested in details.

Beautiful dish, Franci. I love anything that involves nian gao!

Hi RRO, so glad to see you again!

I miss your posts. I made your xiaolongbao for CNY. They were very good although my son was asking: mom, where is the soup? Ah, ah, pour me, I think it was lost in the steaming basket. Only a small percentage retained the soup. I need more practice...

Nian gao are easier :-)