• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

robirdstx

13347277594_e62975685c_z.jpg

13347031663_927cdac0d0_z.jpg

Spring lettuce salad, with French breakfast radishes and hard-cooked farm egg

13346897585_6401863eea_z.jpg

13346897005_70c2a57771_z.jpg

Pea and ricotta ravioli, with sage, brown butter and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

The ravioli are from Eataly.

The green herbs atop the ravioli are bits of stonecrop, an herb with a slightly astringent taste reminiscent of edible nasturtium flowers.

13347033693_6798172a6a_z.jpg

13346899715_902ffe8245_z.jpg

Wild cod, with Jerusalem artichoke velouté, samphire, oyster mushrooms and cremini mushrooms

• Like 5

4gqk4x2l.png

cyaIsdXl.png

Liberty Farm duck, mango roasted with voatsiperifery pepper and cashew

JQCTjZfl.png

My Mom told me not to eat anything I couldn't pronounce but in the case of the pepper I'll make an exception. I've never had mango other than raw. How was the mango prepped? Beautiful color on the duck and great presentation as usual.
  • Like 2

My Mom told me not to eat anything I couldn't pronounce but in the case of the pepper I'll make an exception. I've never had mango other than raw. How was the mango prepped? Beautiful color on the duck and great presentation as usual.

You first turn and make a crosshatch incision in the rounded side of a halved mango. Then you color it, presentation side down, in grapeseed oil until golden. Flip and cook the other side for a minute or so. Remove it from the pan, then clean the pan and add a few spoons of the duck's cooking fat, in which you sweat a brunoise of ginger, blanched lemon and lime zest, and finally the crushed pepper. You cover the mango with this mixture and finish with pieces of a cashew tuile, which you make by mixing butter with powdered sugar, then milk, glucose and chopped cashews, and bake on a silpat. I never had cooked mango before, but I really enjoyed it alongside the duck. The duck is soaked in milk overnight, which makes it extremely tender. 

Thanks, mm84321.  I too have never used this pepper.  After rummaging around the web looking it up I went ahead and ordered some. :-)

And I too just placed my order before eGullet dries up the world supply.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Pretty simple....I make my traditional red sauce...long cooked .. But I only used feather bones..chime bones..in the long simmer..great flavor to the sugo.. But also creates an awesome...rib prep

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

Early Thai dinner before elder son headed back to college.

Cucumber relish with brown rice vinegar, brown sugar, Thai chiles, cilantro, and crushed pistachio nuts

p997698383-4.jpg

Clear soup with pork, garlic, and spinach – Pork meatballs made with garlic paste, white pepper, soy sauce, and a little sugar. Broth was a mix of chicken stock and Mrs. C’s smoked pork stock.

p954451385-4.jpg

Steamed snapper – Whole red snapper, briefly fried in the wok and then steamed with slivered ginger, sliced garlic, Thai chilies, scallions, soy sauce, salt, and a little sugar. Finished with a squeeze of lime and served with jasmine rice.

p753289746-4.jpg

• Like 8

Pretty simple....I make my traditional red sauce...long cooked .. But I only used feather bones..chime bones..in the long simmer..great flavor to the sugo.. But also creates an awesome...rib prep

Dr Paul it is the chine bone. 

• Like 1

image.jpg

Roasted chicken thighs over onions and cabbage sauteed in bacon fat.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday was a treat...leftover pork belly sandwich, served with homemade chamber pickles, tomato chutney and herb mix, on a crusty french bread.  The pork belly was dry brined, then cooked sous vide for 30 hours, then pressed under a brick for 10 hours, then sliced and crisped up.  Best sandwich I have ever made in the confines of my own home.

2014-03-23 12.50.59.jpg

• Like 4

The chamber pickles were as follows:  ~3-4 sliced "pickle cucumbers" (that was the name at the store), chopped fresh dill, 1 sliced shallot, ~3 table spoons of rice vinegar, 1.5 table spoons of olive oil -- then put into the chamber, sealed at 99.9 and then put into the fridge until dinner time.  I also did a variant where I chopped up a jalapeno (ribs and seeds) and gave it a nice blast of sriracha - those were really nice as well.

many thanks

once I get my CVac going Id like to study Chamber Pickles .  would you consider carrot slices?  shredded cabbage ? etc ?

Im looking to reduce the common Commercial Salt element yet have good flavor and crunch.

That is a thing of rare beauty, Ann_T. And I bet it tasted as good as it looks.

Absolutely beautiful Ann

Thanks Liuzhou and Scubadoo.

SobaAddict,  What a pretty salad photo.  And a perfectly cooked egg.

Bruce, that soup looks delicious.  Wish I was having that for lunch.

Last night's dinner.

Chicken%20with%20black%20bean%20sauce%20

winged a stir fry - chicken with black bean sauce and Udon noodles.

• Like 6

Ann_T: thanks.

C. sapidus: great looking fish.

13397041313_6941303af9_z.jpg

Mesclun and radish salad, with buttermilk dressing

Dressing: 1 rocambole garlic clove and a pinch of sea salt in a mortar, pounded until a smooth paste, to which was added 1 tablespoon each chopped Italian parsley and tarragon, then transferred to a bowl; to that, add 1 egg yolk, some black pepper, a tablespoon of Meyer lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar. Stir, then whisk in 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil while pouring in a thin stream. Once the oil is incorporated, whisk in 1/4 cup buttermilk. Taste for salt and pepper, then use as needed. Adapted in part from "The Art of Simple Food II" by Alice Waters, page 41.

13396908635_295dccdd97_z.jpg

Spaghetti con vongole e pancetta

• Like 5

FINALLY! Fresh halibut at Sobeys! :smile: What they had packaged was pretty thin, but they brought out a whole fillet to cut for me. I couldn't let them do it, so I bought the whole piece.

Cut it up into 2 meals, and we enjoyed some last night. The halibut was coated with just seasoned panko crumbs, pan seared on one side then into a 425F oven for 10 minutes or so. It was moist, almost silky texture...Lovely!

Ann_T and teapot: Did you just season and pan-seared the halibut you posted up-thread? I thought of adding Parmesan to the crumbs, but I didn't want to detract from the flavour of the halibut itself.

Looking forward to the next meal!

HalibutCloseUp0531.jpg

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah, First halibut of the season, I  seasoned with just salt and pepper, seared on one side and then finished in a hot oven.   You would have been okay adding a little Parmesan to the crumbs.  I use fresh bread crumbs rather than panko to bread halibut, seasoned with Parmesan and lemon zest.   Cooked the same way, browned and then finished in the oven (if the piece is thick).

Your halibut looks perfectly cooked.  So moist.  

Greek%20Chicken%20March%2024th%2C%202014

Greek Style Chicken.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 7

I made sweet and sour chicken with red peppers, onion, scallion and jasmine rice for dinner last night. 

I picked up some ground bison and 90% mince.  Can't decide between meatballs and chili with hatch chiles and black beans.  I also think there is a small mac and cheese in the future ...

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

13381612645_ffa30daa38.jpg

13381834163_327072d4b5.jpg

13373641375_74dc12b515.jpg

Friends had a baby out in Oakland... 5 weeks old, we stop by and cooked them dinner... 

13381680583_329cc45586.jpg

Not familiar with the area, we were lucky to find this little gourmet spot.. Steaks, bone marrow with blood orange jam, beets grilled with local chevre and some fennel tops from their garden and kale with fava beans with garlic and vinegar.. Also a salad with dressing.  Cow girl cheeses for dessert. 

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 10

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Wow! basquecook. Let me give you my address. You can drop by anytime at all. Have had little success with bone marrow so could you give me a lesson, too, while you're here?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog