• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

robirdstx

New Orleans red beans and rice. I didn't have a cracked ham bone, so I used a mixture of ham stock and pork neck bones. Beans were RG sangre de toro.

attachicon.gifbeans.jpg

attachicon.giftrinity.jpg

attachicon.gifpork_neck_bones.jpg

attachicon.gifred_beans.jpg

Nice looking dish.  In New Orleans (or in  LA in general)  the preferred beans are Camellia brand whether kidney, navy, lima, etc. Always fresh, cooks up quick, at $2.50\#.  http://www.camelliabrand.com/  

For real all school RB&R try using pickled pork.  http://www.gumbopages.com/food/pickle-meat.html or google other sources.  It's easy to cure a few ham steaks to get a little different take on a southern classic.  

• Like 1

thanks Kim.

I wish it were asparagus season...

very quick late night dinner (which is what happens when one is in the office until 11 pm):

13282777474_b6e6c36924_z.jpg

13282570933_b8d057bddb_z.jpg

13282421885_f0b657dc3f_z.jpg

13282421195_64fa59f848_z.jpg

Pasta with escarole, fennel and sausage

Like too many Americans, I used to think that garlic was what defined Italian cooking. Then I woke up.

Oh, it's an important ingredient to be sure, but it's not as central as many people seem to think.

This began with 1 1/2 onions cooked slowly in olive oil with a little salt and pepper, to which was added some sweet Italian sausage, fennel seed, escarole (that had been previously simmered in lightly salted water, then drained), sea salt, black pepper and a little marsala wine.

• Like 3

March has been a sparse month of cooking due to flu and bronchitis, but getting back into the groove.

Love all the meals shared on these pages, but Ann_T always kills me just for the halibut... :laugh:

Some meals I've managed lately:

Beef stew with tagliatelle:

BeefStew&Tagliatelle0500.jpg

MapoTofu with addition of eggplant

MaPoToFu0496.jpg

a side of mung bean noodles and lettuce

FunSee0498.jpg

Cumin beef

CuminBeef0503.jpg

Something new for me - fenugreek - Aloo Methi. The recipe I tried didn't call for cumin. I checked another recipe and I will definitely add cumin seeds next time. It was a nice change from aloo gobi.

AlooMethi0504.jpg

Pork cutlet and aloo methi

PorkCutlet&AlooMethi0507.jpg

• Like 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Had a little bachlor time last night!!  Not the TV show!!  Wife is in Vegas

Made triple pork burgars (Sunday Supers at Lucques)-- but I topped mine with fresh gaucamole, pickled onions and tomato bits.

Side of Blue corn chips and Gaucamole

Pork Sandwich.jpg

• Like 8

Its good to have Morels

Thanks Dejah.  Aloo Gobi is an all time favourite.   I've never had Aloo Methi.  It really looks good.  So does that cumin beef.

Robirdstx,  that soup looks like a bowl of comfort. 

Norm, I like the sides you served with the chicken.

Grilled a large Porterhouse Steak tonight. We split it.  Moe got the strip.

Porterhouse%20Steak%20and%20grilled%20ve

The tenderloin was mine.

Grilled%20Vegetables%20March%2020th%2C%2

Served with grilled veggies.

• Like 5

Not sure if it was my citrus marinated roast chicken you saw, but I also did the same dish tonight for our daughter and s-i-l. tonight. They loved it and will use the leftovers for their lunch-on-the-road tomorrow.

Here's the one I made a while back. The recipe is for 2 chickens, and even though there are only the two of us at home, we really enjoy the leftovers for a couple of meals and lunches after.

Citrus Marinated Roast Chicken0417.jpg

It travels well too. I took it for a 3 hour drive to our son's home for supper one weekend.

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

This sort of thing gives sous vide a bad name among the uninitiated - "You spent 72 hours cooking dinner?!?"

Ribs.jpg

But they were amazing.  I've done beef short ribs for 48 hours and they were very good; these ones were a whole level better.  Falling-apart tender, lovely beefy taste.

Served with mashed potatoes (with a splash of truffle oil) and beans from the garden.

• Like 2

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

This sort of thing gives sous vide a bad name among the uninitiated - "You spent 72 hours cooking dinner?!?"

attachicon.gifRibs.jpg

But they were amazing.  I've done beef short ribs for 48 hours and they were very good; these ones were a whole level better.  Falling-apart tender, lovely beefy taste.

Served with mashed potatoes (with a splash of truffle oil) and beans from the garden.

What temperature did you use?  (Perhaps a rhetorical question as I'm about to throw some in at 58 deg C.)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Not entirely rhetorical - it's not like there isn't time to change it. 60.5 Celsius. Good luck.

I'm sure you must have said somewhere but what sealer do you use for these long times?

My dinner tonight was lamb tagine with sous vide carrots. And Moroccan round bread.

• Like 1

Not sure if it was my citrus marinated roast chicken you saw, but I also did the same dish tonight for our daughter and s-i-l. tonight. They loved it and will use the leftovers for their lunch-on-the-road tomorrow.

Here's the one I made a while back. The recipe is for 2 chickens, and even though there are only the two of us at home, we really enjoy the leftovers for a couple of meals and lunches after.

attachicon.gifCitrus Marinated Roast Chicken0417.jpg

It travels well too. I took it for a 3 hour drive to our son's home for supper one weekend.

Thanks Dejah.  That looks like the one that got me interested and sounds a lot like the one I found with a search. I just used 4 boneless, skinless chicken half breasts for mine.

• Like 1

Not entirely rhetorical - it's not like there isn't time to change it. 60.5 Celsius. Good luck.

The bath is now set to 60.5...because I trust you.

• Like 1

How nice of you to say so!

To answer your previous question: I use a common or garden Foodsaver, but I double seal both ends of the bag for safety.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Dinner last night:

• Pan-fried spicy pork belly slices.  (see here in the pork belly cook-off for more details)

Kinpira gobo.

• Pickled (sweet/sour) scallions & Japanese cucumbers w/ toasted sesame seeds.

• White rice (Hom Mali).

• Chilled Rihaku Tokubetsu Junmai ‘Dreamy Clouds’ Nigori Sake.

This version: Burdock root, well-scrubbed, sliced into sticks, soaked in water for 5-10 minutes, drained. Repeat. Small heirloom carrots (red & orange), scrubbed, sliced into sticks.  Pan-fried w/ peanut oil (burdock root went in first then tossed for a while (w/ a bit of water after a bit then fried back to "dryness") before the carrots went in), ryuri-shu, jozo mirin, Kikkoman soy sauce; tossed for a bit; water added, pan covered & simmered back down; cover removed & mixture tossed around till "dry" and stuff was glazed.

DSCN0946a_800.jpg

• Like 6