• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

robirdstx

Awesome spread, Norm.

13210600203_35c00f4be6_z.jpg

Heirloom carrots, with hazelnuts and parsley

Carrots -- simmered in lightly salted water, then sautéed in unsalted butter, finished with sea salt, black pepper, Italian parsley and hazelnuts.

13210450585_7f327f8b78_z.jpg

Squid, with roasted heirloom potatoes, capers and Meyer lemon

The potatoes were a variety called Russian Banana, from Paffenroth Gardens' stand at USGM.

Potatoes -- peeled, halved lengthwise and quartered, then par-boiled in lightly salted water for 5 minutes; then soaked in an olive oil bath, with a handful of sage leaves for 15 minutes; then seasoned with sea salt and black pepper, and roasted at 375 F for 35 minutes.

Squid -- sliced, then sprinkled with a little salt and pepper; was set aside for 5 minutes; then cooked in olive oil with rocambole garlic, anchovy and Italian parsley for 3-4 minutes.

Assembly -- combine roasted potatoes and squid in the skillet used to cook the squid. Toss once or twice. Stir in capers, thinly sliced red onion and the juice of half a Meyer lemon. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve.

I usually make this with ramps or leeks, but it's equally tasty without.

• Like 4

Hi guys. It's me again with my Salad.

This time i added more ingredients such as fresh tomato and radishes. There is also a corn, rice, olives, onion and tuna fish. Might seem to have too much of ingredients, but it tastes really good.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks! :)

20140316_172204.jpg

• Like 4

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

A few dishes from this week.  Locally sourced pork butt stuffed with rosemary, garlic and red pepper flakes.  The shoulder was huge so I sectioned it into four portions hence the weird looking cut.

P1020615(2).JPG

Chicken thighs seasoned with harissa and preserved lemon and served with cous cous, feta and oil cured olives.

P1020628(1).JPG 

And a few appetizers for a friends get together.  Mini-muffelatas with genoa salami, Citterio mortadella, ham and olive salad; leftover harrisa chicken with spansh olives and feta; fresh sausage with feta and oil cured olives; and roasted cauliflower with goat cheese and feta spread. Also served store bought dolmades served with a quick tzatziki.

P1020635(1).JPG

P1020636(1).JPG

P1020634(1).JPG

• Like 8

Dinner last night:

• Bittergourd & beef stir-fry, with lots of garlic.  Sea salt, a bit of gula melaka, a splash of ryori-shu.

Harm Choy Tong (salty/sour pickled mustard soup) (鹹菜湯), with short-cut pork spare ribs, tomatoes (canned), sliced ginger, salt, rice vinegar.

• White rice.

DSCN0887a_800.jpg

DSCN0890a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 5

A few dishes from this week.  Locally sourced pork butt stuffed with rosemary, garlic and red pepper flakes.  The shoulder was huge so I sectioned it into four portions hence the weird looking cut.

attachicon.gifP1020615(2).JPG

Steve -- that looks absolutely amazing -- can you share your preparation of this pork butt?  I need a dish for my birthday on saturday and this is calling to me!

Thanks

Dan

robirdstx – that is some gorgeous pulled pork.  Mr. Kim is dying to do one – if it will ever stop snowing here!

Paul – what beautiful halibut cakes.   Halibut is crazy expensive here, but you’ve got me craving some.

Soba – your salad is beautiful and, as always, I envy you the ability to obtain such varied and lovely greens.  And I agree with you about the green salad.  Often, that’s exactly what I want – just tender greens with a light vinaigrette!

dcarch – thank you!  Beautiful leftovers!  And I love the char on those greens – just perfect.  Were those romaine hearts?

Norm – your corned beef dinner is gorgeous!  Makes me wish I had some plans tonight other than leftovers!

Bruce – wonderful looking pork.  Please tell Mrs. C congrats for me.  And I love, love, LOVE that you served it on white bread – the perfect foil.

Steve – good lord, MORE fantastic looking pork.  I need to visit our butcher!

Had a potluck lunch at church yesterday.  I made Rachel’s (some of you will remember racheld) chicken salad, Michael Ruhlman’s rolls and a Coca-cola cake with coconut cream filling:

med_gallery_3331_114_148632.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_54601.jpg

My cooking mojo is still a bit off, as the rolls were very tough and coarse (but tasted good).  The chicken salad and cake were fantastic, though.  

• Like 6

Patrickamory - thanks. The fried shallots are key.

Lovely!

I'm wondering, though, what the chinese characters are for "cha misua"? [What dialect group are you, if I could ask?]

Normally, I would think of "misua" as "meen seen" (Cantonese) = 麵線 = Mee sua (Hokkien) = thin WHEAT noodles. Is there another name for the rice noodles you used?

Cha Misua is Hokkien. My written Chinese is rusty so I don't know the characters

And I checked the package of my misua. It's made with flour so probably wheat not rice.

Edited by Jaded Fork (log)

Steve, that pork roast looks incredible.

Kim, the rolls certainly look good.  As does that chocolate cake.

Our St. Patrick's Day dinner.

I don't like boiled corned beef so I do our corned brisket in the oven. 

Corned%20Brisket%20ready%20for%20the%20o

Coated in lots of black pepper and wrapped in foil.

Corned%20Brisket%20March%2017th%2C%20201

Slow roasted at 250°F for almost six hours.

Colcannon%20March%2017th%2C%202014-L.jpg

Individual Colcannon with caramelized onions.

Corned%20Brisket%20March%2017th%2C%20201

• Like 10

Asparagus with comté, mashed potatoes and egg

at04HVTl.png

Was wondering if this would be making an appearance after your last asparagus dish. I have been meaning to make this. Maybe this weekend. Doing some Parisian Gnocchi made with bone marrow butter sometime soon too so we'll see.

• Like 1

Steve -- that looks absolutely amazing -- can you share your preparation of this pork butt?  I need a dish for my birthday on saturday and this is calling to me!

Thanks

Dan

It's a pretty straight forward preparation.  I stuffed the pork with a paste made from fresh rosemary, fresh garlic and red pepper flake.   I made the pockets for the filling mixture with my finger at muscle separations.  At a few spots I cut slits into the muscle with my boning knife and pushed in the seasoning mix. The butt had a really nice fat cap that I wanted to preserve so I loosely tented the butt with foil and cooked at 250F for probably four or five hours until it reached an internal temp of around 190F and basting every hour.  I removed the foil and turned to the temp to 475F to char the fat cap.  I also scored the cap prior to cooking then deepened the cut marks prior to browning.  Be sure to save the rendered fat as it is great in savory pie crust.   I used some of the rendered fat to make a crust for empanadas using some the leftover meat and they were terrific.  

• Like 1

Monday night dinner . . .

Beef slivers with cilantro – Flank steak cut into slivers, marinated with Shaoxing wine, dark and light soy sauce, and potato flour slurry, and then briefly deep-fried. Stir-fry garlic and red chile slivers, add the beef, two bunches of cilantro, and soy sauce, and then finish with sesame oil.

Jasmine rice and salad to round out the meal. Elder son changed his plans to eat with us – I suppose he values a home-cooked meal after a steady diet of cafeteria food.

Choo chee curry tonight – not sure if I will be able to grab a picture.

p428220504-4.jpg

• Like 7

Choo chee red curry seafood – Crack coconut cream and reserve a spoonful. Fry red curry paste in the coconut oil. Stir in more coconut cream and season with fish sauce and brown sugar. Add fish and shrimp, and when nearly done, mix in a paste of red chiles and garlic. Finish with Thai basil and slivered red chiles, top with reserved coconut cream, and serve with jasmine rice. Salad on the side.

One of elder son’s friends ate with us, and kept shoveling down the curry and rice. Younger son left to hang with his girlfriend just as I was serving dinner; pickings were slim when he returned.  :rolleyes:

p684756925-4.jpg

• Like 6

Quick supper tonight. Ham steaks with a sherry/cherry sauce, zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli and onions stir fried with a little Koran teriyaki sauce and honey. I made cake doughnuts with a doughnut pan I got from King Arthur. It was dark metal, non-stick and so the bottoms were darker and more well done than the tops. I  expected better from King Arthur.

image.jpg

Made from what was on hand. A coarsely chopped portobello cap was sauteed in ghee and then the leg and thigh meat from a Costco rotisserie chicken was tossed in along with some fresh thyme and a little white wine. After the wine had evaporated I slurped in a little heavy cream and some salt and pepper. Easy, fast, tasty.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog