• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 2)

robirdstx

I would eat this for breakfast. That is one of the best pictures of a Pulled Pork Sandwich EVER.

Ann_T, thank you. It was tasty, too! We had talked back and forth about whether or not to toast the roll. So glad we decided to toast it!

Echo Ann T on your pulled pork sandwich robirdstx - WOW.

Thank you, too. Edited by robirdstx (log)

That may be the most gorgeous looking piece of salmon I ever saw. Would have never thought of marrow with salmon.

Thank you. It is a lovely combination. The best bite on that whole steak is the part where you get a bit of marrow and salmon together. 

Thanks folks.

13183640254_a45ffc7465_z.jpg

Baby mesclun and Bordeaux spinach salad

Bordeaux spinach is an heirloom variety of spinach -- more tender leaves with a slightly sweet taste.

The vinaigrette is my standard recipe of 1/2 large shallot (minced), 2 tablespoons red wine, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. That makes more than enough vinaigrette for this salad; I just save the remainder for future use.

I know it doesn't look like much, but sometimes a simple green salad is what you need.

13183641184_de59027ee4_z.jpg

Saag paneer, rice, lime chutney

The paneer is from Tonjes Farm Dairy, the spinach was frozen (since it'll be at least 2 more months before regular spinach appears at USGM).

I skipped frying the paneer in ghee; I'll do that next time. Recipe is from Saveur, here: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Spinach-with-Fresh-Indian-Cheese-

I also subbed the last of my chipotle peppers instead of the serrano. Going to have to buy some more dried peppers from Kalustyan's soon.

• Like 3

I wasn't willing to believe that this

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/147265-dinner-2014-part-2/?p=1956632

technique could only be used with fish. It was just too good. So here I used it with home-made, frozen meatballs, scallions, asparagus, cocktail tomatoes and potatoes. Talk about FAST FOOD!

image.jpg

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N – A very healthy, delicious and fast meal. I also have some frozen meatballs I need to use up.

SobaAddic – You have been posting some stunning pictures and meals!

Patrickamory – and the same for you too. Wonderful meals and great pictures.

Robirdstx – what is the sauce for those perfect crab cakes?

Ann_t – the Cappelletti shows the high level of skills of yours in the kitchen.

Huiray – I always enjoy the diverse cross-cultural recipes you can come up with.

Mm84321 – You are an artist in both food preparation and presentation.

Kim – Thanks. And thank you for the lamb and lentil inspiration. I happen to have the right ingredients to copy yours.

FrogPrincese – Those who has made clams can tell instantly your clams were cooked at the exact temperature.

Paul Bacino – Very nice halibut cake.

-        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - -

Very much in need to use up leftovers in the refrigerator. A few recent attempts.

dcarch

Leftover beef tenderloin on asparagus stems and quinoa.

quinoabeeftenderloin2.jpg

quinoabeeftenderloin.jpg

Leftover roasted chicken

Roastedchickencucumber2.jpg

Roastedchickencucumber.jpg

Leftover ground turkey, tofu in pesto sauce on asparagus tips.

groundturkeytofupesto2.jpg

Groundturkeytofupesto.jpg

• Like 4

dcarch

always such delightful looking plates.  tasty too i bet.

pleased you seem to have moved on past that 'back of the spoon' smear

how did that ever get popular?  

:huh:

always seemed to me to be stuff you mop up right away and then burn the mop.

just saying.

AnnaN  what times and temps do you use for your 'fast food'   looks interesting

bet the tomatoes add a lot to the dish

Cold oven set to 400F and cooked for 15-17 minutes.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We had our corned beef dinner today.  Corned beef was homemade then simmered in beer with garlic and other seasonings.  Cabbage served with a balsamic reduction. new potatoes boiled, smashed, buttered, seasoned and roasted.  We also had soda bread, rutabagas and carrots.

DSCN1318_zpsbaf65151.jpg

DSCN1304_zps8511ac73.jpg

DSCN1313_zpsbf3e9cc4.jpg

DSCN1312_zps38c65db6.jpg

DSCN1308_zps26e18797.jpg

• Like 7

We had our corned beef dinner today.  Corned beef was homemade then simmered in beer with garlic and other seasonings.  Cabbage served with a balsamic reduction. new potatoes boiled, smashed, buttered, seasoned and roasted.  We also had soda bread, rutabagas and carrots.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/DSCN1318_zpsbaf65151.jpg

http://s262.photobucket.com/user/matthewsno/media/DSCN1304_zps8511ac73.jpg.html

http://s262.photobucket.com/user/matthewsno/media/DSCN1313_zpsbf3e9cc4.jpg.html

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/DSCN1312_zps38c65db6.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/DSCN1308_zps26e18797.jpg

Looks nice.

Just to confirm - your "dinner" is the same as "lunch" a.k.a. the mid-day meal, yes?

Looks nice.

Just to confirm - your "dinner" is the same as "lunch" a.k.a. the mid-day meal, yes?

We had it around 3pm. It was our big meal of the day.  I planned it for then because Cassie works in the evening on Sundays.  We'll probably  just have snacks or sandwiches later on.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Cha Misua (Chinese Birthday Noodles)

Thin Rice Noodles, blanched

Dried scallop (reconstituted), dried shiitake mushrooms (reconstituted), poached chicken breast, shrimp, carrots and cabbage -- all sliced/slivered/julienned then sautéed separately.

Toppings: fried scallions, sliced omelette, quail egg, scallions

image.jpg

Edited by Jaded Fork (log)
  • Like 5

Cha Misua (Chinese Birthday Noodles)

Thin Rice Noodles, blanched

Dried scallop (reconstituted), dried shiitake mushrooms (reconstituted), poached chicken breast, shrimp, carrots and cabbage -- all sliced/slivered/julienned then sautéed separately.

Toppings: fried scallions, sliced omelette, quail egg, scallions

Lovely!

I'm wondering, though, what the chinese characters are for "cha misua"? [What dialect group are you, if I could ask?]

Normally, I would think of "misua" as "meen seen" (Cantonese) = 麵線 = Mee sua (Hokkien) = thin WHEAT noodles.  Is there another name for the rice noodles you used?

We had it around 3pm. It was our big meal of the day.  I planned it for then because Cassie works in the evening on Sundays.  We'll probably  just have snacks or sandwiches later on.

Ah, I see, thanks.  

What do you call the "mid-day meal", in general, though? "Dinner" or something else?  What about the meal you have in the evening or nighttime - do you call that "supper"?  Or "tea"?

Edited by huiray (log)

Mrs. C BBQed two pork butts on the Big Green Egg, and made mustardy coleslaw to go with. My only contribution, besides taking a picture, was doctoring up some BBQ sauce with mustard, vinegar, sugar, and Tapatio salsa.

Elder son is home from college, so between him and younger son the leftovers from two pork butts filled two small Ziploc bags.  :rolleyes:

p28895129-4.jpg

• Like 8

Ah, I see, thanks.  

What do you call the "mid-day meal", in general, though? "Dinner" or something else?  What about the meal you have in the evening or nighttime - do you call that "supper"?  Or "tea"?

My mom used lunch and dinner interchangeably and supper for the later meal. Right or wrong,  I tend to use dinner and supper interchangeably.

• Like 1