• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 1)

paulraphael

(...)  I think I'd give the carrots their full hour at the high temp then chill them to stop them cooking further while you (first) get the bath temp down and (second) warm up the pork.  Then drop the carrots back in for  maybe 15 minutes at the end.  That will probably cause the bath temp to drop a few degrees, but I don't think there are any safety issues there for already-cooked pig.

I'll add a disclaimer that I've never actually tried doing this.  Somebody else probably has and can firm up on the details.

(...)

I've done this many times. Works well, no problem whatsoever.

You can add ice or some cold tap water to help bring the bath down from vegetable temps to protein temps. I do this all the time when cooking a meal with multiple elements cooked SV. You can also cook large batches of things like carrots, chill them, and keep them in the fridge until you need them. I wouldn't do that with ziptop bags though.

I reheated the pork chop in the Anova at 60.5 deg C while my short ribs were in the middle of their 72 hour cook,  Worked quite well.  The rest of the meal I did in the pressure cooker.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 8 months later...

I will start with a recent meal -- 4 hours at 60 degrees skirt steak.  Pretty certain I will never have skirt steak any other way, ever again.  Finished off by searing it in smoking clarified butter -- the edges were almost deep fried.  Served with creamed peas and roasted potatoes.  

2014-11-20 19.40.09.jpg

• Like 3

wow   thanks

how did you make those creamed peas ?

Yum.

skirt is one of my favorite cuts of meat.  I usually make pin-wheels    

( season, roll a full SK, skewer and cut in 1/2, as the thicker end result is harder to Damage.

SK, the really good ones   ( thinner, not thicker ) are very hard to find around here.

but if I do, Ill try ( 2 ) pinwheels SV

thanks for the Tip !

This will be a very useful thread!  Especially useful if a detailed description of the product and it's treatment were included.  

The other night I did flank steak, free range, grass fed.  It was 20 mm thick.  Bagged with salt and pepper.  SV'd at 131F for 24 hours then just seared in a screaming hot pan.  Meat was medium rare.  I have done this before with a thicker piece of flank and it was more on the rare side of medium which is where we like it.  Sorry no picture.  Next time.

• Like 1

I just bought a SV Supreme a few days ago and had my first meal out of it last night.  I did short ribs at 135F and was a little scared of getting mush, so I only did them for 24hrs and then seared.  They were delicious, but I think next time I'll let them go for the full 48hrs.  I'm putting a corned brisket in there tonight.

its difficult for me to get 'good' free-range beef.  from time to time I get some from a local

CSA.  its not very well butchered, ie not very even cutting

due to this problem, and the lack of fat in FR  , at least the FR I can get, SV solves both these problems

Ive had in the past  FR Sirloin steaks,  lean

Ive done them for 4 - 6 at 130 and then a quick sear

they were so different from 'grain finished' beef, but still delicious, just a very different dimension to the taste.

with a very long 'finish'   unlike GrainBeef.

I am starting to prepare for a dinner this saturday (I have to travel at the end of the week so I need to prepare way in advance).

I ordered and got a 3" thick center cut bone included (not attached) pasture raised, grass fed, beef ribeye steak. I salt brined it, rinsed that off, patted dry, stuck it in the freezer for about an hour then vacuum packed it with a stick of unsalted butter. Today I'll start the sous vide bath. 60 degrees C for 2 days (since it is so thick). Will finish in an iron pan, medium heat and dry to brown it and then butter baste in the pan. Drain the butter out and flip the steak and do the same. I'll do that before guests arrive and then put it in a 135 oven.

The Mondrian cake will take several days to cook and prepare. It's my second attempt! 

BTW that skirt steak looks great! 

1 ) do you 'salt' for Kosher reasons ? I see you are able to use butter so ....

you might want to review the extensive stuff here on Salt and SV for the Future DeliciousNess from your SV

experiments

its very wise to keep a note-book on everything you do SV, as you can then refer back to past experiments.

2 ) 2 days (since it is so thick)

once the internal and isothermal temp reaches your goal, the effect on the meat is independent of the thickness.  I cant say how long that takes based on your thickness, but think about that a bit.

Id love to see some pics when you finish.  

Edited by rotuts (log)

I did a sous vide demonstration recently and one of the dishes was sous vide asparagus with a 63.2C egg (one hour) plus sous vide hollandaise delivered via a Whipped Cream Siphon.

The recipe for the Hollandaise came from chefsteps.com, who also now have an app for the iPhone.

Asparagus.jpg

• Like 6

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Rotus, thanks for the reply!

Is butter not a good thing or flavor to use? I usually use duck fat but the steak is finished by butter basting so I thought I'd keep it simple. I've decided to use some of the ideas of Toulouse Lautrec (the artist) and also put pepper and some mustard (horseradish mustard) into the vacuum pack. I think I'll only cook it for around 18 hours. Starting at 60 c but when I go to bed I'll turn that down to 50-ish.

I'm not kosher. I do eat butter and since I switched from vegetable oils to saturated fats my cholesterol went way down. Baby carrots sous vide with a bit of butter are wonders (no salt needed here). I no longer use regular salt, only pink, grey and bitter/mineral salts. And I am very careful how I buy any food - I will pay extra to support growers and products I think are good for the environment and health. I actually don't eat that much, I do like to taste. (altho, T-giving was a gut enlarger, ha)

As I'm working on a recipe I keep notes. Then when I feel like I have a recipe that I like I type it out and email it to myself. Can print it out later and I have a small stack of them. I just recently started to learn to cook (6 months ago, altho I have always loved to cook but just did it by winging it) and only in the last month have been trying to consciously create recipes. It's what I do to de-stress from work. 

rotuts -- the creamed peas were pretty simple -- made a really thick bechamel, added frozen peas...seasoned with salt and pepper.

katace -- would love to see the steak when it is done as well -- I would also like to hear how the stick of butter worked out -- I have basically reverted to "dry" bags when it comes to steaks these days (thanks to some needed guidance sometime back from paulraphael).  In the bag, no seasoning, seared in a really hot iron pan in clarified butter after the bath and then seasoned with sea salt and pepper.  Sometimes I will baste but that depends if I have a sprig of thyme or rosemary to baste with.

Good to Know re the bechamel

Im an extreeeeeeeme fan of the bechamel and other FR sauces, which are not Ou Courant.

do you add the tiny bit of fresh grated Nutmeg to the B. ?  as you know, you have to shave off a few scrapings first

then add "less" rather than "more" 

this works for me w most things White.

in Killer Home Mashed Potatoes  

Yum YUm.

I also see this as the Perfect Use of Fz peas  vs the Canned I like for

" Dinner Food -- Blue Ribbon "

Edited by rotuts (log)

Three 1 1/2 inch thick loin pork chops just went in to the SV. I will cook them at 62°C for one and a half hours then chill them for future meals. I no longer put any thing other then the protein into the SV bag.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Im an extreeeeeeeme fan of the bechamel and other FR sauces, which are not Ou Courant.

I was surprised to hear Ming Tsai say on Top chef that he hadn't had a beurre blanc in years...his loss.

well  Ive Bumped w Ming when he Walks His Dog

I can walk to Blue Ginger ............

Buuuuuuuuuuuut  Top Chef ?

Need $$$$$ ? 

all I can say, he does know Todd English ................

:wacko:

Edited by rotuts (log)

I no longer put any thing other then the protein into the SV bag.

The most I'll put in is a bit of fat, or, in the case of just cured corned beef, I'll put in an equal amount of water:meat in order to elute some salt from the beef as it cooks.

...... I no longer put any thing other then the protein into the SV bag.

Last week I sv'd some striploins with about 1/4 c. red wine added to the bags.  122F for about 2.5 hr. (They were over 1" thick).  The bag liquid was added to some demi-glaze (bought) to make a rich sauce.  Steaks were dried & seared at 1 min./side.  They were great, but probably 45 sec. would have sufficed.  No pix, sorry.