• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 1)

paulraphael

Elise, I'm a huge fan of thick pork chops with salt and pepper in the bag, 135F for only enough time to reach core temp, followed by a hard sear on grill broiler or cast iron.

Put a nice thick pork sirloin chop in the SV this morning. According to Doug Baldwin 60° for about eight hours should give me a medium chop at the end of the day. Tucked just a little butter in there with it because I could.

Only a CRAFT moment could have led me to think that eight hours was an appropriate time for a pork chop! Such moments seem to be increasing in frequency.

Today I acquired a boneless skinless chicken breast and it is now swimming in 60°C water. I will take it out in about 1 1/2 hours. Being skinless I think I will skip any attempt at a sear and simply enjoy it sliced over a salad of some sort. I did toss some butter in with it but no other seasoning.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

What is a CRAFT moment?

Affects mainly the elderly -- Can't Remember A Flipping Thing -- especially those who are averse to foul language! The rest of you can surely find a synonym for flipping.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

JoNorvelle how long at 60c for the corn? I would like to try.

I had been doing fifteen minutes based on the method in Modernist Cuisine.  However some while back nathanm suggested thirty minutes:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144300-sous-vide-recipes-techniques-equipment-2011/?p=1810427

The other night I cooked one ear for thirty minutes and a second ear for about an hour.  An hour was probably too long.  Nathan's thirty minutes is what I'll probably be using going forward.  Both ears went well with Nathan's hotdogs.  (No relation, of which I am aware.)

Try fifteen minutes and thirty minutes and see which you like best.  I don't think it matters much but the fifteen minute MC recipe has the ears cut into three inch lengths.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Tried pork chops last night for 1 hour at 140F. Much, much better. They were a centre cut though, not sirloin, so I still don't know if the type of cut makes any difference.

Is this just a flash-in-the-pan kind of thing?

I got my Anova circulator several weeks ago and still haven't found anything I want to make with it.

Is it just me or are there others out there staring at theirs?

I laughed out loud at "flash in the pan".

In addition to all of the above - vegetables can be magic done sous vide, as well as still relatively quick and entirely hands-off.

Carrots are perfect tender-crisp every time at both the thin and thick ends (~45 minutes at 180 as I recall).

Zucchini or other summer squash is a revelation cut into 1/4" slices and cooked 20 mins at 165.

Peeled and coined sunchokes were also stellar, though I don't have my notebook handy to remember the time/temperature I settled on...

That said, it has taken me a fair bit of experimentation to find what I liked best - using various recipes found on the internet or other cookbooks (MC in particular) as a starting point and tweaking as needed...

• Like 1

In addition to all of the above - vegetables can be magic done sous vide, as well as still relatively quick and entirely hands-off.

Carrots are perfect tender-crisp every time at both the thin and thick ends (~45 minutes at 180 as I recall).

Zucchini or other summer squash is a revelation cut into 1/4" slices and cooked 20 mins at 165.

Peeled and coined sunchokes were also stellar, though I don't have my notebook handy to remember the time/temperature I settled on...

That said, it has taken me a fair bit of experimentation to find what I liked best - using various recipes found on the internet or other cookbooks (MC in particular) as a starting point and tweaking as needed...

I would love to learn your time and temperature for sunchokes. I am going to try them for the first time and cooking them sous vide sounds like a good approach.

My 2004 eG Blog

OK, found it - 180 for 1 hour. They were still quite crisp at this point but I really enjoyed the texture - somewhat similar to a lightly cooked lotus root or water chestnut.

Dinner was corn at 60 deg C. 

Nice looking chuck steaks are now in the bath at 56 deg C for 48 hours, more or less.

Dinner was corn at 60 deg C. 

Nice looking chuck steaks are now in the bath at 56 deg C for 48 hours, more or less.

So I tried corn at 60°C for 30 minutes. It didn't even get hot. Had a most peculiar taste and texture. Back to simmering for me.

My 2004 eG Blog

So I tried corn at 60°C for 30 minutes. It didn't even get hot. Had a most peculiar taste and texture. Back to simmering for me.

Interesting result, Anna, though I am sorry for your wasted corn!  I wonder why the difference.  Did you cook your corn on the cob?

The sous vide index calls for 85 deg C for 90 minutes.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/136274-sous-vide-index/

Nathanm's post suggesting 60 deg C for 30 minutes is here:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144275-sous-vide-recipes-techniques-equipment-part-7/?p=1757124

The MC recipe calling for 60 deg C for 15 minutes is from page 3-289.

Just for fun I may try 85 deg C for 90 minutes now that corn is 19 cents an ear.

Interesting result, Anna, though I am sorry for your wasted corn!  I wonder why the difference.  Did you cook your corn on the cob?

The sous vide index calls for 85 deg C for 90 minutes.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/136274-sous-vide-index/

Nathanm's post suggesting 60 deg C for 30 minutes is here:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144275-sous-vide-recipes-techniques-equipment-part-7/?p=1757124

The MC recipe calling for 60 deg C for 15 minutes is from page 3-289.

Just for fun I may try 85 deg C for 90 minutes now that corn is 19 cents an ear.

Not too worried about a wasted ear of corn but disappointed in the results as I did check the original sources. I am very glad that I tried it at lunch time rather than dinner when I will be serving it to my number two son. And logic should have suggested that 60°C is not very warm! Yes it was corn on the cob, and yes I did put a little butter in there with it and yes I do trust my ANOVA and no I do not like my corn cooked to death. I would think that 85°C for 90 minutes might well be overkill and you might be drowning your sorrow in MR!

My 2004 eG Blog

If I may point out an advantage, with 60 deg C corn one does not burn one's fingers.

True enough. But lukewarm corn does not rate high on my list of foods I enjoy! But perhaps I am in the minority.

Edited to remove the repetition.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night was 16 mm thick lamb loin chops, bone in, done at 125 F for an hour or so.  Perfectly medium rare.  Sorry no pic as the camera battery was dead.

My top three reasons to cook SV:

Lamb

Salmon

Eggs

It does not take much to put lamb on the shopping list and your post just did :cool:

• Like 1

Cooking beef short ribs a la Chef Steps #6:  144F for 48 hours.  This is our preferred texture and doneness.  When I opened my up packages of the grass fed beef ribs they were of quite different sizes and had varying degrees of excess fat.  What to do?  I decided to trim them up then use meat glue to make them roughly of equal size.  First picture is all the trimmings I got off and the resulting bits that needed to be put back together again.  Second picture is a close up of one of the ribs.  All were vac sealed and put in the fridge for the day.  They are out now and shall go for their swim shortly.

DSC00859.JPGDSC00860.JPG

• Like 2