• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 1)

paulraphael

gfweb:  I found your post in the thread that rotuts quoted above.  Didn't think to look for a thread, silly me.

Holly crap, there are so many different times and temps on that thread it's making my head spin.

I had originally settled on a much lower temp so without further research I'm going with 142.5 F for 24 hours.  

Ha.

cheers

That sounds good for brisket. For round I'd do it longer to tenderize it better.  Sorry for the delay, I was up in your neck of the woods for a couple days and struck with crappy hotel internet.

Not really cooking reheating a couple of duck legs that have already been sous vided and frozen. Will bring them up to temp slowly because it suits my schedule, seer them in a very hot oven, shred the meat and skin from the bone and make summer rolls with rice paper. Inspired by liuzhou in the dinner thread.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tiny whole potatoes bagged with some butter. Still a bit on the fence as to what I might do with them. Oh wait. I still have a SV'd duck leg in the fridge and I have some frozen pearl onions in the freezer. I see a tasty meal emerging from my muddled brain.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have eight Sabrett hotdogs heating at the moment, 70 deg C.  One or two expect to be dinner.  The rest go in an ice bath for next time.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I can't remember when the last time was that I had a filet mignon.  It is always so gray and dry.  But a saw a little tail end of a piece of tenderlion and thought I would give it a try.  From the thickest part I cut and trimmed a steak.  Not a very large steak obviously, but just the right amount for me.

I was pasteurizing eggs at 55 deg C for Hollandaise so I threw the meat in the same bath for about two hours.  Two hours and eleven minutes to be precise.  Since I was eating immediately I did not bother with an ice bath, for the meat nor for the eggs.  Out of the bag the steak did not look promising, but I dried it on a paper towel and rubbed with grapeseed oil.  I then seared it quickly in a very hot pan, and let it rest while I blanched asparagus.

This is the first time in my life that I have understood all the fuss about tenderloin.  Better late than never.

Tonight was a repeat of this with similar results -- save broccolini in place of asparagus.  And it was béarnaise in place of hollandaise.  And served with a baguette.

Redundancy is important.  I needed two yolks for my béarnaise.  I pasteurized three eggs.  I dropped one.  Actually I dropped two, but one was not a total loss.  The steak sure was pretty.

Edit:  spelling.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Made some 65-day dry-aged ribeye steaks last night (an x-mas present dinner for my brother and sister-in-law that's now many years overdue).

I just don't think I'll ever make steak another way if this option is available. I cannot imagine it being better. 

Sous-vide was also used to make the beef coulis at the foundation of the sauce (a dairy-free madeira and sage brown sauce), and the thyme ice cream in the dessert course.

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

Had a dinner party the other night - Sous Vide scallops with a corn ragout:  Bison Ribeye served with shrimp risotto (in thermomix) and fresh green beans cooked with Mycryo - what a damn fine meal

We had the guests going - that's for sure.  Not sure we will be invited anywhere for dinner now -

• Like 3

removed it

I didn't want the skin for this...

I actually rendered the layer of fat and crisped the removed skin in a pan, and then chopped the crispy skin to sprinkle on top of the finished dish.

I did bag the breast with some of the removed fat as well as some oregano and dried thyme.

after 2 hours at 135, I breaded (egg wash, bread crumbs with grated parmigiano reggiano), quick pan fried in duck fat to crisp the crumbs, and then a layer of provolone tomato sauce and under the broiler for a minute to melt the cheese,

and then a layer of mozzarella and more sauce and under the broiler again

it still came out totally pink and juicy inside.

• Like 4

Had a dinner party the other night - Sous Vide scallops with a corn ragout:  Bison Ribeye served with shrimp risotto (in thermomix) and fresh green beans cooked with Mycryo - what a damn fine meal

We had the guests going - that's for sure.  Not sure we will be invited anywhere for dinner now -

Seems to be a problem here too....not many dinner invitations and when they do come it's with an apology even before we taste anything. :angry:   Mind you, we do live in a little village with 3,000 residents.

My "meat guy" keeps getting good deals on pork loin (damn the bad luck) and I keep buying them.  I typically cut them into three or four parts, season, bag and tag then freeze.

The last couple I've done in a 140F bath for 3 hrs then finished on grill.  Result was tender, succulent, a shade of pink.  This one I stuffed with Venison sausage before bagging and lightly sauced while on the grill.  The whole roast was very well flavored.

2015-06-21 21.13.08.jpg

• Like 4

My house is a 1950s model with limited countertop space in the kitchen, and particularly, limited countertop space with access to electrical outlets. Today, when putting on a pork loin to sous vide for 24 hours preparatory to being refrigerated and then grilled as part of a holiday extravaganza, it occurred to me: 

sv kitchen0701.JPG

I have a laundry room. It has a utiity sink,and it has outlets. I can put the sous vide rig in there, be easily able to add water if it needs it during the long cook, and have it Out Of My Way while I'm doing other things.

Feeling quite brilliant.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

good for you.  I also have Watts problems.  i moved the SV station to an upstairs bathroom that's seldom used.

the Vac however states in the kitchen as its too heavy to move.

some people use their basements.  mine gets too humid in the peak summer months, and is too cold in the winter.

NOTE: This discussion is continued in What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 2)

Edited by Mjx
Note added. (log)