• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black rum

ChrisTaylor

There's a hole in my rum collection. Not that my rum collection is extensive by some standards, but, yeah, still. I see the odd recipe call for Cruzan Blackstrap. Now, a while back I stumbled across a bottle of Cruzan Aged and figured that was exactly the same thing or an aged version of Blackstrap and then I learned that it wasn't either of those things. Oh well. I've yet to see Blackstrap for sale anywhere.

What will do the job? I have some understanding of what the flavour profile is supposed to be. I can get Goslings Black Seal but it's not cheap. It's not quite but almost in the same bracket as the magnificent Zacapa 23! In fact, it's slightly dearer than the lovely Appleton 12.

Suggestions, please.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I used Goslings until an awesome eGullet member hooked me up with a bottle of the Cruzan. I have no idea what else would work... but I'm sure somebody will.

Edited because it appears I'm unable to correctly spell "awesome" in one attempt.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

To answer your earlier question about Gosling's vs. Cruzan Blackstrap: the Blackstrap is basically industrial rum flavored with molasses; it's intensely molasses-forward, with a bit of a maple syrup as well, but not a lot of rummy depth to it. Gosling's is also molasses-y but more, well, rum-like in flavor, with brown sugar, vanilla, and fruit rounding out its profile. It's also got a bit of a root beer character that I don't find in the Blackstrap, or in most other rums. It is far less intense than the Cruzan. I substitute Gosling's for Blackstrap in a pinch, but I use more of it to make up for the lower intensity.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Gosling's is proper rum, Cruzan is just burnt molasses. 

Seriously, as I've said many times, it runs roughshod over anything it's mixed with, and isn't v nice on its own, either.

In this part of the world Coruba is a quite pleasant but pretty ordinary dark rum, certainly if put up against something like Gosling.  Maybe you have different Corubas, way across the Pacific there.

Chris, have you ever seen Bounty Overproof from Fiji?  Lovely stuff, even if you have to go to Fiji to get it.  I heard a rumour it may be available in Oz hidden behind an Inner Circle label, but I've never confirmed it (no use to me, as we don't get Inner Circle here either).

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I (obviously) can get IC Red/Green/Black here. I know they're made in Fiji but ... is the Blackstrap-style rum meant to be funky? IC is certainly strong. And it walks all over whatever you mix it with.

On a side note, would you like some IC rum?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Seriously, as I've said many times, it runs roughshod over anything it's mixed with, and isn't v nice on its own, either.

In my non-expert opinion, I have to disagree. I like Goslings but there are certain drinks I like that I had to use Goslings in before I got a bottle of Cruzan and, while it did a good job as a substitute, I like most of those drinks better with the Cruzan that was called for in the recipe.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Josh Miller on his blog did a detailed review of black rums that included Coruba, Gosling, Cruzan Black Strap, Myer's, Trader Vic, and Whaler's. It should give you a good idea of the differences between these brands.

http://inuakena.com/spirit-reviews/dark-rum-challenge/

I have not tried Coruba, but between Goslings, Myers, and Cruzan Blackstrap, Goslings is my clear favorite. I really like it more than Myers, plus it is about three bucks cheaper around here. Blackstrap I agree has certain uses, but it is too agressive to work in most dark rum drinks. It really is best when the recipe has been designed with it in mind. 

Nice it is, and also hella expensive and slightly sacrilegious to mix with, akin to using Highland Park 18 in a Rob Roy

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Josh Miller on his blog did a detailed review of black rums that included Coruba, Gosling, Cruzan Black Strap, Myer's, Trader Vic, and Whaler's. It should give you a good idea of the differences between these brands.

http://inuakena.com/spirit-reviews/dark-rum-challenge/

The post above which links to this post reminded me why I tend not to buy Gosling's. Spirit companies simply shouldn't be allowed to trademark cocktails, even if they "invented" them.

Which saves me a bit of money as I had been toying with the idea of getting a bottle of the Goslings' Family Reserve Old rum. Maybe it is good but I probably won't make the effort to find out. Gosling still holds a place with Pusser's in my mental penalty box and the clock is still ticking.

Besdies, there are plenty of other rums in the sea!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

From the Goslings Old web page. Is the recipe a joke or a website error?

Appropriately called Gosling’s Family Reserve Old Rum, it’s crafted from the same incomparable Bermuda blend as our renowned Black Seal Rum. But, we age it in our dark barrels even longer, until it acquires an extra luscious, nuanced complexity much like a rare Scotch or Cognac. Consider it the ultimate sipping rum. We do.

So we carefully hand label each bottle, dip it in wax, number it, encircle it with a metal band, then place it in a straw-filled wooden box reminiscent of days past.

While our Gold Rum and our flagship Black Seal Rum are also produced in limited quantities, our Old Rum is downright scarce.

The perfect Old Rum recipe:

• 1 oz. – blah, blah, blah
  • ½ tsp. – blah, blah
  • 2 oz. – blah, blah, blah

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

From the Goslings Old web page. Is the recipe a joke or a website error?

Intentional. Scroll further down:

Our point? Old Rum is built to savour as it is poured. Add ice if you must, but nothing else other than a little eager anticipation.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Anyone reckon you can add blackstrap molasses to cheap dark Demerara rum to make DIY blackstrap rum?

F the rum, just add molasses to cheap vodka and you are about there.

From the above, you can probably figure out I avoid Cruzan Blackstrap like the black death.  I usually use Captain Morgan Dark for my darkest rum, if only to remember my youth.  I really don't think it is bad at all but I suppose I'll try Coruba sometime.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 1 month later...

Black rum = E150a, lots of it.     If all you want is the color, vodka and some food coloring will do it.   If you want quality, nothing can beat the standard:  an actual aged, pot-stilled Jamaican rum - Myers's.      If you prefer the others, you prefer their additives, not the rum.

Issues of additives aside, which I will leave to those with greater knowledge, I find this thread interesting for two things:

1.  I don't know that I'd put Blackstrap in the same category as other dark rums, even before I knew about added flavorings, just based on the flavor profile.  I wouldn't use it the same way in most cases, either.  I do enjoy Blackstrap as a float in tiki drinks, punches, and even as a primary rum in some recipes, because of the overpowering molasses flavor, though I understand why others may run from it.

2.  It seems that the never-ending debate between "authenticity and purity above all" and "I like the way it tastes so who cares" is coming to the forefront here.  While I do think think this forum should promote factual research, clarity in approaching categories and tasting qualities, and helping folks develop an educated palate, I see little point in bashing someone's rum choice if they've tried other similar ones and settle for their own particular pick, based on price and taste.

• Like 4

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

It is fair to say that as far as "Black Rum" goes, Myers's would be our go to over here.  That's not a shame.

I'm intrigued to find out what the deal with Blackstrap is, but I'm in no hurry; especially not at £40 a litre.

/pragmatism. 

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Damn Adam, it's about $10 for 750mL here...

The deal with blackstrap is that it tastes and looks exactly like what its name indicates. I still maintain that it dominates anything you put it in at greater than trace quantities.

Damn Adam, it's about $10 for 750mL here...

The deal with blackstrap is that it tastes and looks exactly like what its name indicates. I still maintain that it dominates anything you put it in at greater than trace quantities.

Agree and I would not want to pay more than $10-$15 for the stuff. It's not that special and not versatile either. I bought it to make Jungle Birds (to which it gives a burnt toast - maple syrup quality), but otherwise it's just gathering dust at the back of my liquor cabinet.

Agreed with both above re: price. It's good in blends with other rums (like The Dead Rabbit's equal parts house mix of Blackstrap, Smith & Cross, and Banks 7), and in a few drinks that call for large amounts of it but balance against other strong flavors (Campari, pineapple, passion fruit, etc). 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937