• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Infused Cinnamon Syrup

I'm looking for a method to cold infuse cinnamon for the purposes of a zombie.  All the recipes for cinnamon syrup I have seen involve boiling.  But I would rather not invert my sugar.  I have an iSi and I could pressure extract the cinnamon.

Any suggestions?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

You don't have to boil the cinnamon to extract the flavor. I usually just bust the sticks up a bit, toast them, toss them in whatever hot liquid I'm using and let them steep. Even if you were to boil the liquid with the cinnamon a bit, you can do it without the sugar. Just add that in after the liquid cools. Cold infusion is probably doable if you're patient but I've tried tossing cinnamon in cold cream and fridging it overnight and it didn't pick up as much flavor as I can get in a few minutes in a hot liquid. I've never tried it, but you could probably infuse a spirit with cinnamon, add a syrup and have a shelf stable cinnamon liqueur. We do it for falernum and pimento dram, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work with cinnamon as well.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Isn't cinnamon flavor an oil in the stick?

If so an alcoholic extraction should be possible. One could then gently evaporate the alcohol, say at room temp, and add the concentrate to drinks.

My current thinking is to try an alcoholic extraction...however I have no plans to evaporate the alcohol.

A secondary question is which species of cinnamon to use for the extraction.  My guess is that in 1934 Don probably used Vietnamese cinnamon, though I'm not sure what would be best in the drink.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou