• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Roasting Profiles

jayt90

I would like to fine tune my green coffee bean roasting technique.

For several years I have used a Cafe Rosto, which supplies a constant hot air stream to 5 - 6 oz of beans, and they finish in 5 - 7 minutes, full city, just when the smoke alarm goes on for a minute or two.

This seems to be good for drip coffee;  

(I like rich chocolatey South or Central American beans.)

I picked up a Whirly-Pop stove top device, because it will do 8 oz at once, over a gas flame, and gives me much more control over heating/cooling. I need to fine tune this application.

Does anyone have practical experience, or references to coffee roasting profiles? 

TIA, James

Im very impressed.  Your Cafe Rosto is still working !  Ive been roasting coffee for over 10 years and burnt out 2 rosto's then got a

iRoast.  i use a long probe Cooper thermometer in the bean mass to get me a  consistent and reproducible roast.

the iRoast is no longer made.  :sad: mine has been on its last legs for over a year.

I do have a back up, as home roast is very important to me.

consider a way to drill a hole based on the internals and use a long probe thermometer  

http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_113498?kwid=productads-plaid^20516612804-sku^113498-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^12625416164

this sort of thing w the digital read out would be good.

make sure the probe in in the bean mass and does not touch the sides or bottom.

I cant tell you how to do this as I dont know how the whirly thing-y would effect the tip's consistent placement

Im betting its not possible to 'probe' the Whirly

why?  the info on doing this would be widely available.

you are going to have to go by the 'crack'  

you could search YouTube for some vids  see if you can find any by Tom at SweetMarias

do you take the Whirly when 'done' and place it in an Ice bath and Whirly AwaY to rapid cool ?

best of luck

Edited by rotuts (log)

I have a thought that would interest me and might (  :huh: ) help you :

would you be able to take an 'internal' pic of the inside of the whirly and post it here?  I dont have any idea of what the rotating

gizmo does inside the pot.  Id like to Percolate on this.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using the Behmor 1600 roaster for the past two years and I couldn't be more pleased. Previously, the iRoast2 did the job for almost three years before finally giving up. I was never that happy with it; too noisy, too smoky, and inconsistent results. The Behmor has none of these shortcomings and, for $300, it's money well spent.

there is smoke.  more and more the darker you go.

if you roast not beyond Full City, you might get by if you placed it under a stove hood that vented somewhere other than back into the Apt.

it also help to roast not more that 1/2 lbs at a time.