• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chamber Vacuum Sealers, 2014–

Mjx

nope.   oil pump for me, even if I use 200 bags a year.

I have started to use he bags for my green coffee beans.

I buy 20 lbs at a time from sweet maria and vac them in the 10 x 13 bags

open one for roasting, and put the rest in the 6 x 10  etc

so maybe 400 a year.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I use the same Vacuum Sealers Unlimited that Rotus cited for all my bag needs, I got an assortment the first time and now only use a couple sizes.  They are very responsive to questions like "whats the largest bag my xxxx sealer will seal?".

https://www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/

I've not found the shipping excessive for the weight of the product.  But it's not cheap.

Thanks everyone.  I ended up ordering two bag sizes (8x12 and 12x14) and a bag stand from Vacmaster direct because they gave me a 10% off coupon and the stand was already 10% off and all ships for free with that size order.  Should last me a while!

Yesterday I made space on my counter and bagged some powdered soft serve mix (weighed to the amount I will need in my next batch) as an initial test.  Then I bagged some water (of course).

Today I played with compressing watermelon and also made some flash pickles from English cucumber slices.  I free-lanced a brine:

1/4 cup water

1/8 cup white vinegar

1 tsp sea salt (fine)

1 tbs sugar

1/4 tsp dill seeds

1/4 tsp dried dill weed

a pinch of garlic powder

I liked them, but we'll see what DW thinks tonight.  Anyone else have any brine recipes for cucumbers?

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using my VP112S and some accessories for a few weeks now, so here is a mini-review:

First, no one seems to have talked about this new version.  The S replaced the A.  VacMaster says one of the big improvements was a newly designed and better reinforced lid, but there are other differences as well.  They are:

1.  The analog vacuum gauge has been replaced with a digital display.

2.  The accessory port is no more.

3.  The old unit vacuumed for a preset time.  The new one vacuums to a set vacuum level (up to 29.3) then seals.  There are presets and you can also set the vacuum level you want.

I also bought three accessories - the filler plates, a bag stand and a prep plate.

If memory serves, the original version came with filler plates to supposedly reduce the vacuum time if you didn't have much in the chamber.  They stopped including them with the A version because they said the newer unit vacuumed just as fast without them.  They are also not included with the S version.  They do serve another purpose and that to raise the "floor" of the chamber making it easier to lay bags flat.  For this purpose they work great.  For grins, I tried vacuuming two identical loads with and without the plates.  With the plates it took 59 seconds, without 61 seconds.  Not a major difference, but I am glad I have them.

The bag stand is designed to hold a bag open with the sealing area out of the way while filling the bag, and also to give you an extra pair of hands.  It has three rings supposedly for pint, quart and gallon size bags.  That might be true for their non-chamber bag sizes, but for what they call the pint, quart and gallon chamber bags, the rings are too big.  The "pint" ring works for the quart bags and so on.  I don't have any pint bags, so I am fine with it and it works good.  Well made and all metal construction.

The last is a prep plate.  Here's a link to it: https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/vacuum-sealing-tool-stainless-steel-construction-prep-plate/  The idea is that it holds something fairly flat so you can slip the bag over it.  I'm still trying to find a use for it other than the steak in the picture.  It's well made, but so far it's been more of a pain to use than it has been help, so the jury's still out.

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

• 2 months later...

No home chamber vacuum sealer was, to my knowledge, available in Europe. SousVideSupreme offered a rebranded VP112 for a while, but I think they stopped selling it. SousVideTools.com has just launched a new dry piston unit that is, as far as I know, the most affordable chamber unit around here, at 504 EUR. I am thinking about getting one.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a VP112 - weight and size were the prime considerations - had it for about a year and no problems

So I haven't searched every post in the two threads but it wouldn't hurt to mention another use for a chamber vac even if I'm reposting a previous suggestion.

While not lamination, printing out a recipe and sealing it in a bag, makes a great water/grease proof storage medium. I use 8.5 by 11 paper and bags slightly larger to vac and seal. Recipes can be stored in a file folder or an accordion file for easy retrieval. Same could be done foe one or two page equipment manuals/instructions/charts etc that you wish to reference.

p

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My latest experiment:  Pina Colada Spears (non-alcoholic)

I took spears of fresh pineapple and brushed on some Coco Real, then compressed in the chamber sealer.  They were good but not quite as much coconut flavor as I would have hoped, so I am going to look for different way to infuse the coconut flavor.  Maybe rum would help too (but I don't have any).  Before and after shots:

pineapple-before.jpg.30a69cfae4215cb9d75

pineapple-after.jpg.9e0258418b89ef390e44

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

8 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

My latest experiment:  Pina Colada Spears (non-alcoholic)

I took spears of fresh pineapple and brushed on some Coco Real, then compressed in the chamber sealer.  They were good but not quite as much coconut flavor as I would have hoped, so I am going to look for different way to infuse the coconut flavor.  Maybe rum would help too (but I don't have any).  Before and after shots:

Rum almost always helps after a few shots.  I wish I could make a good pina colada without being too sweet.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 3/14/2014 at 5:45 AM, imafoodie said:

I don't know, Jo, about the bags. But it says the bags are BPA free & safe for sous vide & microwave cooking, in case that helps.

So, some general information about chamber bags.  They're usually made of multiple layers of plastic, which are co-extruded at manufacture time.  That lets the manufacturer produce bags with different properties to suit different purposes.  The typical bag sold for chamber use has two layers.  The inner (food-side) is polyethylene (PE), which is entirely food safe, water proof, but not terribly oxygen impermeable.  The other layer is a polyamide (PA, nylon); it's got desirable mechanical properties (strong, tough, puncture resistant) and is oxygen impermeable. 

Fancier bags add additional layers, or substitute one plastic for another.  "high barrier" bags add a layer of PVC or ehylene vinyl alcohol (EVOH) between the nylon and the PE.  EVOH is super oxygen impermeable, but expensive.  A thin layer in the middle keeps the cost reasonable, and still has very good storage performance.  Mylar bags add aluminum laminated to something (it could be a number of things, and probably is, depending on the bag)  "high temp" bags substitute polypropylene (PP) for the PE.  PP is food safe, but it's got higher temperature range (It's used for things like diary products that get pasteurized in the tub). A standard PA/PE bag will take boiling temperatures, but not for very long.  (15 minutes is the typical spec, I think.)  a PP bag will go rather longer.  PE will take more typical sous vide temperatures for a longer time, well in excess of what anyone is likely to cook for.

Food processors pick bags (or get them developed) that match the product they're packing, and how long they expect it to be stored for, and the price point.  Small users don't have that luxury, but at the rate most of us use them at, buying a bag that's 50% more expensive than the correct bag isn't a big expense, and is vastly easier than stocking too many different kinds.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Baggage regrets!

If I knew then what I know now!

Go big or go home!

Love, love the VP-215 but I made a BIG mistake in not buying larger pouches!!!!

Don't do that, don't ever do that!!!

I bought WAY too many 10"x13" and 8"x10" pouches shortly after I acquired the VP-215.

I should have bought one size...at least 10"x15" (halving that size for smaller needs) instead of 2 sizes!!!

Attempting to seal anything of serious girth in a 10"x13" pouch often leads to mass frustration!!!! :angry:

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I find that 10 x 13" pouches work best for 90% of what I'm cooking. I have some 12 x 14" that I use for bigger cuts and larger bags of liquid (mostly stock). I have a bunch of smaller bags I got as a variety pack when I first got my machine, but I only use them for smaller items like chicken breasts, Once those run out, I don't think I'll buy them again; the 10x13 and 12x14 will cover everything quite nicely. I got a box of 250 each of these sizes when I got my VP-112, and will add that 250 bags will last normal home cooks for a LONG time, and that they're much heavier than you might otherwise imagine. I wouldn't order more than that quantity unless you plan on breaking down whole animals, or know for sure that you love the size you're buying (or get a fantastic deal). 

8 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I wouldn't order more than that quantity unless you plan on breaking down whole animals, or know for sure that you love the size you're buying (or get a fantastic deal). 

Yeah, I bought 1000 (best "deal") of each mentioned above.

Recently broke down and packed 45 chickens.

Larger bags would definitely have worked much better for the 15 chickens I split in half.

In terms of packing parts, a larger bag divided in half would have worked MUCH better than than the small narrow bags I bought.

A wider, shallower bag affords speedier loading and much less chance of mess....no special precautions or fuss necessary to keep the edges of the bag clean.

We'll get through them eventually. :)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

personally  Ive taken to cutting larger bags down.  they are so cheap compared to the textured ones for non-chamber vacs

I do think it would be nice to order 250 of selected bag sizes at a decent price rather than 1,000

even 500 seems like a lot for home use.

We average about a bag a day.

In our case, 1000 bags makes sense because they're a much better deal.

~2000 bags in ~6 years.

We're ~1/3 of the way through them.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

On 1/13/2016 at 8:45 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yeah, I bought 1000 (best "deal") of each mentioned above.

Recently broke down and packed 45 chickens.

Larger bags would definitely have worked much better for the 15 chickens I split in half.

In terms of packing parts, a larger bag divided in half would have worked MUCH better than than the small narrow bags I bought.

A wider, shallower bag affords speedier loading and much less chance of mess....no special precautions or fuss necessary to keep the edges of the bag clean.

We'll get through them eventually. :)

I bought 7X9 and 10X15 bags when I bought my vp215.  I use the 7X9 a lot, they're the right size for about a pound of ground meat for freezing,  a serving or so of soup or chili, hold a chicken breast or chop for the sous vide  They'd be the right size for many left overs, were I allowed to keep the machine somewhere that was practical.   I use the 10X15 bags (which is bigger than Vacmaster says fits in the machine, but as noted above, a three dimensional object in the bag makes them effectively shorter, and they work fine.) for anything too big for the 7x9, or where I want a single layer for sous videing.  I cut them to length for things like steaks or roasts, where I need the width, but not the whole length.  I might see if I can find an 8X9 bag next time, the 7 is just a touch too narrow for easy loading.  8X10 is too big, and cutting an inch or two off the bag is a pain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dscheidt said:

....10X15 bags (which is bigger than Vacmaster says fits in the machine, but as noted above, a three dimensional object in the bag makes them effectively shorter, and they work fine.)

Yep!!! Exactly!

On 1/13/2016 at 6:54 AM, rotuts said:

I do think it would be nice to order 250 of selected bag sizes at a decent price rather than 1,000

No kidding!! I am surprised that none of the vendors are offering smaller packages for us home users. When I got my sealer I got waaaay more bags than I needed because I wanted access to several sizes.

After having the sealer for a while I have found that by far I use more of the pint bags than anything else. I probably use 5 pint bags for every quart bag, and 20 pint bags for every gallon bag. That's because a lot of what I do is package single/double servings for sous vide cooking, or package single/double servings of leftovers when I have made a big batch of something. I also make a lot of smoked salmon, cheese, and jerky, and the smaller bags are pretty good for that too. 

It is definitely true that using a bag which is too small is an exercise in frustration. Too many times I have found myself with a bit of a mess, all for the sake of trying to save a nickel. Someday I'll learn. 

• Like 1

I use mostly quart bags, then pint bags, seldom gallon bags.  Quart bags handle hunks of chicken or a steak.  Gallon bags for dashi or for a Berkshire pork chop.  It's nice to have a choice.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

51 minutes ago, horseflesh said:

No kidding!! I am surprised that none of the vendors are offering smaller packages for us home users. When I got my sealer I got waaaay more bags than I needed because I wanted access to several sizes.

Economies of scale.  The customers who really use these things, really use them, and use lots of bags.  So buying a thousand bags isn't a hardship, it's just a few (days/weeks/months) supply.  Splitting cases for relatively small number of home users doesn't make sense.

Doesn't mean you can't find someone to split a case with. 

This may be a good time to point out the possibility of splitting and sharing packages among users.  Here's a topic that may be useful for the purpose:  WTT/WTB: Sharing Modernist Ingredients.  Please note the host's rules in the opening post.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

Im fortunate to have a ChambewrVac.

I like ground turkey for meatloaf and turkey burgers, and perhaps 'meat-sauce' for pasta.

In my area the major brand is ShadyBrook Farms

http://www.shadybrookfarms.com

they have odd weights on their 93 % lean GrTurk  :  

http://www.shadybrookfarms.com/products/937-lean-ground-turkey-1-25-lb/

granted there is no shade there nor a brook, its a Con-Agra etc etc.

for some reason the 1.25 package was 2.88 for a week at a chain supermarket.

I stocked up, big time :

GrTurk.jpg.5dcdc2d390d1e3c045da3c75f9ef5

I wrap the GrTurk w plastic wrap, place in the freezer to get 'firm' then chamber vac.

works fine for meatloaf and is OK for burgers, probably nice for 'meat-sauce'

it does thaw 'wet' but thats fine for the TML's

I hope others w freezer space and a low-air bagging system can do the same.

the usual price for this is about 4.88

I wonder if there is a Turkey Glut due to "over-planting ' after the last Bird-Flu ?

have never seen a turkey egg though .....  too much trouble to market.  those Turks are Money on the Fly

even though domestic Con-Agra turks don't fly

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2