• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Mjx

Chamber Vacuum Sealers, 2014–

the Vacuum itself should get you a good seal if the cover is seated correctly.

4 hours ago, PositiveMD said:

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the VP112S; but it doesn't seem to be sealing correctly. According to their website food saver bags should work with the chamber sealer, but I'm having trouble getting anything to seal. I've set it to the max vacuum and seal time level without any success. I've been trying to vacuum some dried pasta. 

The black seal bar doesn't seem to be making contact with the seal bar on the bottom. When the machine runs, the lids seems to be locked into place. I would have to pull quite hard to open the lid at that point, so I know there some sort of seal going on. The issue seems to be that after the timer finishes, I don't hear any air being let back into the chamber. The machine just stops running and the seal time starts. It makes me think that I perhaps installed the black seal pad on the lid and the bottom gasket incorrectly, but as far as I can tell they can only be installed one way. 

Have you guys run into an issue like this before?

I have a VP112 and my machine will display a problem like you describe if I don't press down on the lid to make a good seal during the first few seconds of a cycle. Fortunately, mine has the pressure gauge so I can tell when a vacuum has been achieved and let go. You should still be able to tell by the machine sounding slightly different once the vacuum has been achieved.

Posted (edited)

I have a different sealer, but I assume they all operate in similar fashion.

If the bags only have marks on one side, then it sure does sound like they aren't getting pinched right. 

The seal bar is probably lifted by vacuum power, so I would guess that you aren't developing enough vacuum, or that the seal bar isn't moving smoothly for some reason. Since the machine isn't releasing the vacuum either, my guess is that something is fubared in the seal mechanism, preventing it from lifting all the way and then dropping and initiating release. Examine all the moving parts carefully, maybe there is some debris in the way. 

I cannot think of a reason the textured bags would cause the problems described. 

Edited by horseflesh typo (log)

Thank you everyone for your guidance.

I checked all the screws around the machine and they all seem to be tight. 

I've run several cycles where I push down on the entire lid or edges of the lid without any success. 

I have checked the seal bar, and it sits comfortably. There doesn't seem to be anything that would impede the seal bar from moving. 

I think its time to contact the seller.

p

• Like 1

The customer support guy at vacuumsealersunlimited.com provides excellent troubleshooting over the phone and stocks any repair parts you may need.  I had a problem with my seal bar after a couple years and needed a cheap circuit card to get it back into service.  

My experience with bags is that my chamber sealer, VP112, will not properly seal a food saver type bag, but my strip sealers will seal a chamber sealer bag.  I do tend to buy FS types by the roll and cut them and buy chamber sealer bags pre-cut from the same vac sealers unlimited linked above.

I bought this off of Ebay. The condition was listed "New in Box" and in working condition.

When I contacted the seller about my troubles and asked him how he tested it; he stated that he pushed the vacuum button and "it worked". 

I'm tempted to just return this, get the VP215 and be done with it; but I got it at such a good price ($250) that I'm hoping that the cost of fixing it is less than buying a new one. 

33 minutes ago, daveb said:

The customer support guy at vacuumsealersunlimited.com provides excellent troubleshooting over the phone and stocks any repair parts you may need.  I had a problem with my seal bar after a couple years and needed a cheap circuit card to get it back into service.  

My experience with bags is that my chamber sealer, VP112, will not properly seal a food saver type bag, but my strip sealers will seal a chamber sealer bag.  I do tend to buy FS types by the roll and cut them and buy chamber sealer bags pre-cut from the same vac sealers unlimited linked above.

Did you originally purchase your machine from them? I may call them and see if this can be fixed easily. 

I have never had a problem sealing Foodsaver bags (mind you, I have only done it a few times).  I am using a 4 second seal time, which I believe is the default.

5 hours ago, PositiveMD said:

I bought this off of Ebay. The condition was listed "New in Box" and in working condition.

When I contacted the seller about my troubles and asked him how he tested it; he stated that he pushed the vacuum button and "it worked". 

I'm tempted to just return this, get the VP215 and be done with it; but I got it at such a good price ($250) that I'm hoping that the cost of fixing it is less than buying a new one. 

$250 is indeed a great price and worth trying to fix it.

17 hours ago, PositiveMD said:

Did you originally purchase your machine from them? I may call them and see if this can be fixed easily. 

I did not.  I think I purchased mine from Amazon when they had a price dip. 

Suggest you sort the bag question first.  If you pm a shipping addy to me I'll send a few VacMaster Chamber bags your way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daveb said:

I did not.  I think I purchased mine from Amazon when they had a price dip. 

Suggest you sort the bag question first.  If you pm a shipping addy to me I'll send a few VacMaster Chamber bags your way.

I bought some chamber bags that should be coming in this weekend. Thank you for the offer though!

I called the number on their website around 3 PM PST, but it went to voicemail. I'll have to try it again later. 

FWIW,

I haven't had a problem sealing FoodSaver-type bags with the VP215.

Actually, I bought them via eBay and I think they may be just a tad heavier that FoodSaver bags.

Posted (edited)

I just wanted to give an update. I just got off the phone with vacmaster support. They had me unscrew the chamber and look underneath. Lo and behold, it turns out one of the tubes got cracked. They're going to be sending me some new tubes.

IMG_20171006_144153.jpg

Edited by PositiveMD (log)
  • Like 2

Kewl beans!

One of those tubes goes to the external port for vacuum sealing jars, etc.  My port failed and I could not get a good seal on anything in the chamber or out.  The vacsealers tech support suggested I just plug the hole in the 4-way valve rather than trying to replace the external port.  Apparently that's a high failure item.

The external port of my Polyscience has never worked right either.  Fortunately not a big deal.

If the OP is correct that he has a VP112S, it doesn't have an external port.

19 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

If the OP is correct that he has a VP112S, it doesn't have an external port.

Well that's one way to fix a reliability issue.   :B

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just wanted to give an update. I got the new tube in today, and I replaced the cracked one. Everything is working fine now!

There's so many things I want to try!

• Like 2

• Similar Content

• By boilsover
      Yes, the vacuum blender, Luddites.  http://www.gadgetreview.com/what-is-a-vacuum-blender

I am waiting for the WiFi version, so I can turn my smoothie into soup from Mars.
    • By boilsover
      Solid intermediate cook, here.  Not especially intimidated by elaborate preps.  But I'm new to SV, and would like a recommendation for a cookbook for guidance and exploration.

I was thinking of Tom Keller's Under Pressure, but I'm wondering if the preps he includes may not be the most generally useful.  What do you all like, and why?

Thanks!
    • By Chris Hennes
      On Nov. 7, 2017, Modernist Bread will finally arrive on my doorstep. Having preordered it literally the first day it was available, to say I'm excited about this book is a bit of an understatement. The team at The Cooking Lab have been gracious enough to give @Dave the Cook and me early electronic access to the book and so I've spent the last week pouring over it. I'm just going to start with a few initial comments here (it's 2600 pages long, so a full review is going to take some time, and require a bunch of baking!). Dave and I would also be happy to answer any questions you've got.

One of the main things I've noticed about this book is a change in tone from the original Modernist Cuisine. It comes across as less "everything you know is wrong" and more "eighty bazillion other bakers have contributed to this knowledge and here's our synthesis of it." I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Myhrvold and company are now the most experienced bread-bakers in the world. Not necessarily in terms of the number of identical loaves they've produced, but in the shear number of different recipes and techniques they've tried and the care with which they've analyzed the results. These volumes are a distillation of 100,000 years of human breadmaking experience, topped off with a dose of the Modernist ethos of taking what we know to the next level.

The recipes include weight, volume, and baker's percentages, and almost all of them can be made by both a home baker and someone baking in a commercial facility. The home baker might need to compromise on shape (e.g. you can't fit a full-length baguette in most home ovens) but the book provides clear instructions for both the amateur and professional. The recipes are almost entirely concentrated in volumes 4 and 5, with very few in the other volumes (in contrast to Modernist Cuisine, where there were many recipes scattered throughout). I can't wait for the physical volumes to arrive so that I can have multiple volumes open at once, the recipes cross-reference techniques taught earlier quite frequently.
    • By eG Forums Host
      Introduction

Welcome to the index for the Sous Vide: Recipes, Techniques, & Equipment topic, one of the largest and most influential topics on eG Forums. (The topic has been closed to keep the index stable and reliable; you can find another general SV discussion topic here.) This index is intended to help you navigate the thousands of posts and discussions to make this rich resource more useful and accessible.

In order to understand sous vide cooking, it's best to clear up some misconceptions and explain some basics. Sous vide cooking involves vacuum-sealing food in a plastic bag and cooking it in a water bath at precise temperatures. Though it translates literally as "under vacuum," "Sous vide" is often taken to mean "under pressure," which is a misnomer; not all SV cooking involves food cooked in conditions that exceed atmospheric pressure. (See below.) In addition, calculations for SV cooking involve not only time and temperature but also thickness. Finally, due to the anaerobic conditions inside the bag and the low temperatures used, food safety issues are paramount.

You can read the basics of SV cooking and equipment here. In the summer of 2005, Nathan Myhrvold (Society member nathanm) posted this informative, "I'm now going to answer my own initial questions" post, which addresses just about everything up to that point. For what came next, read on -- and be sure to order Nathan Myhrvold's highly anticipated Modernist Cuisine book, due in spring 2011.

As with all indexes of on-going discussions, this one has limitations. We've done our best to create a user-friendly taxonomy emphasizing the categories that have come up repeatedly. In addition, the science, technology, and recipes changed over time, and opinions varied greatly, so be sure to read updated information whenever possible.

Therefore, we strongly encourage you to keep these issues in mind when reading the topic, and particularly when considering controversial topics related to food safety, doneness, delta T cooking, and so on. Don't read a first post's definitive claim without reading down the topic, where you'll likely find discussion, if not heated debate or refutation, of that claim. Links go to the first post in a series that may be discontinuous, so be sure to scan a bit more to get the full discussion.

Recipes were chosen based solely on having a clear set of information, not on merit. Indeed, we've included several stated failures for reference. Where possible, recipes include temperature and time in the link label -- but remember that thickness is also a crucial variable in many SV preparations. (See below for more information on thickness.)

History, Philosophy & Value of SV/LTLT Cooking

Over the years, we've talked quite a bit about SV as a concept, starting with this discussion about how SV cooking got started. There have also been several people who asked, Why bother with SV in the first place? (See also this discussion.) What with all the electronics and plastic bags, we asked: Does SV food lack passion? Finally, there have been several discussions about the value of SV cooking in other eG Forums topics, such as the future of SV cooking, No More Sous Vide -- PLEASE!, is SV "real cooking," and what's the appeal of SV?

Those who embrace SV initially seek ideas about the best applications for their new equipment. Discussions have focused on what a first SV meal should be -- see also this discussion -- and on the items for which SV/LTLT cooking is best suited. There's much more along those lines here, here, and here.

Vacuums and Pressure in Sous Vide Cooking

As mentioned above, there has been great confusion about vacuums, pressure, and their role SV cooking. Here is a selection of discussion points on the subject, arranged chronologically; please note that later posts in a given discussion may refute earlier ones:

Do you need a vacuum for SV cooking, and, if so, why? What exactly is a "vacuum"? Click here, here, and ff. Are items in vacuum-sealed bags "under pressure"? Does a vacuum sealer create a vacuum inside the bag? Do you really need a vacuum, or can you use ZipLoc bags? Also see here, here, and here. If "sous vide" means "under pressure," aren't the items in the bag under pressure? There is more along these lines to be found in this discussion.  

The Charts

We've collected the most important of many charts in the SV topic here. Standing above the rest are Nathan Myhrvold's charts for cooking time versus thickness and desired core temperature. We worked with him to create these three reformatted protein tables, for beef, fish, and chicken & pork.

Nathan provides additional information on his charts here. Information on how to read these charts can be found in this post. For an explanation of "rest time" in Nathan's tables, click here.

Other Society members helped out as well. Douglas Baldwin references his heating time table for different geometric factors (slab/cylinder/sphere) here; the pdf itself can be found here. pounce created a post with all three tables as neatly formatted images. derekslager created two monospace font charts of Nathan's meat table and his fish table.

Camano Chef created a cumulative chart with information gathered from other sources including Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc. Douglas Baldwin shared this chart devoted to pasteurizing poultry. PedroG detailed heat loss and steady state energy consumption of sous vide cookers in these charts.

Finally, there is also an eG Forums topic on cooling rates that may be of interest.

Acknowledgment & Comments

This index was built by Chris Amirault, Director, eG Forums. It was reviewed by the eGullet Society volunteer team as well as many Society members. Please send questions or comments to Chris via messenger or email.

• By Paul Bacino
      Wonder if someone could get me in the ballpark..the amount of Transglutamase...to make scallop noodles..    %  I mean

ill use a food processor..to purée the scallop..  then inject into a water or broth..to cook?