• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chamber Vacuum Sealers, 2014–

Mjx

very interesting

""  A commercial-grade maintenance free, dry vacuum pump is designed to deliver a reliable and strong vacuum time and time again. ""

I wonder if this pump is affected by water vapor , as older ' dry pumps ' were.

or have pumps evolved so that the oil-pumps are no longer necessary for long life

w water vapor .

• Like 1

Compared to my VP112

Less weight, no need for fussy two handed opening

Only accepts 12" X 12" bags vs 12"W x 14"L

4.7 inch vs 5 inch chamber height

Cheaper price stateside, wonder what that will equate in $CAD

p

consider this :

https://vacuumsealersunlimited.com/product-category/commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealing-machines-accessories-parts/vacmaster-commercial-vacuum-sealing-machines/

I did not get my VP215 from then so long ago

but I get my bags from them now

and they are nicely informed of this and that

then there is this :

https://vacuumsealersunlimited.com/shop/commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealing-machines-accessories-parts/vacmaster-commercial-vacuum-sealing-machines/vacmaster-vp220-chamber-vacuum-sealing-machine/

the question Id consider for any own

moving initially to a Chamber Vac system

a very good long term consideration

is :

are there newer pumps

\as noted above

that o to use oil bit the pumps

that you changer from time to time

its not difficult to do

but you do need to do it

if there are newer pumps that not need oil

thus do not fail w water vapor , which used to be the case

then study this carefully

and make your newer selection

w confidence 

• 2 weeks later...

Product website: https://www.lemproducts.com/product/maxvac-pro-chamber-sealer/all-vacuum-sealer-products

Amazon reviews: https://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-MAXVAC-Vacuum-Sealer/product-reviews/B009SJBOVI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=1

Pros - oil pump

- dual seal bar

- price

Cons - weight

- only accepts 10 inch wide pouches

p

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

dont understand why it only accepts 10 " pouches

should accept 10 " or less

Yes of course, I meant that the "standard" width is 12 inches

p

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

some terrible reviews on Amazon.

Though I note that the "Top critical review" is from someone who sat on his unit for 8 months before trying it, then was pissed because the warranty dept didn't turn it around for him over Christmas (they received it on the 23rd).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 6/26/2020 at 11:53 AM, horseflesh said:

I noticed Costco has a $600 chamber sealer.

https://www.costco.com/maxvac-pro-chamber-vacuum-sealer.product.100536866.html

Anyone know anything about this model? I know people who are interested in a chamber sealer but the expense is a deterrent. A good option at $600 would be pretty cool. 

seems to be https://www.lemproducts.com/product/maxvac-pro-chamber-sealer/all-vacuum-sealer-products

this model.  has an oil pump, which is a good feature.  don't have a clear sense about how tall the chamber is, but it might be short.  That's a limiation on my vp215  (not most of the time, but there's stuff I can't see I'd like to because of the height, particularly near the sealing bar.).  it's probably a good buy for $600, given what tarriffs have done to prices.  (I paid not much more than $600 for my vp215 about four years ago.  ) 

@dscheidt

your points are excellent 

it possible , and i have not looked into it

as my VP-215  

https://vacuumsealersunlimited.com/shop/commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealing-machines-accessories-parts/vacmaster-commercial-vacuum-sealing-machines/vacmaster-vp215-chamber-vacuum-sealing-machine/

and ive had it for some time

I love it

but .....

there might be newer pumps that do not need oil :

https://vacuumsealersunlimited.com/shop/commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealing-machines-accessories-parts/vacmaster-commercial-vacuum-sealing-machines/vacmaster-vp220-chamber-vacuum-sealing-machine/

and

https://vacuumsealersunlimited.com/shop/commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealing-machines-accessories-parts/vacmaster-commercial-vacuum-sealing-machines/vacmaster-vp230-chamber-vacuum-sealing-machine/

you have to look into the possible new pump

that does not need oil to deal w moisture

It might be new

and i doubt it tricked down to les expensive models 

but maybe 

just be careful

price is one thing

but endurance is another

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

spec sheet says "Dry rocker vaccum pump".  Rocker is a manufacturer (or maybe just a branding) of vacuum pumps, they're conventional piston pumps, and sucking stuff through them will cause damage.   They work fine until they wear out, and for many applications that's pretty much never.  That's probably the case for most home chamber vacuum sealers.   When I bought my machine, the cost difference between the oil pump and dry pump version was only thirty or fifty bucks, pretty negligible compared to the cost of the machine.    There are vacuum pumps that can ingest water, and which are oil free (scroll pumps, for instance), but they're not cheap, and even further over kill for the home kitchen. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i happend to call my buds at "

https://vacuumsealersunlimited.com/product-category/commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealing-machines-accessories-parts/vacmaster-commercial-vacuum-sealing-machines/

as I ordered some more bags.  not need the , but odder them.

they have bags that are not currently on their site ,in various sizes , but are out of stock

some sizes coming back soon.   I ordered 8 x 12 , a new size for me

anyway , the point of my post is I finally asked about the VP-220 . w :

"  The VP220 has a 12" seal bar and a maintenance free dry rocker piston pump for years of dependable service. "

I wondered if there was new VacPump tech that didn't need an oil pump  but had an oil pumps

longevity re moisture.

the answer is no.   an oil pump takes care of moisture , and its superior to a dry pump over time.

thanks it.

I think the biggest consideration is use. I had extensive conversations about the vp220, and for home use the pump is more than adequate. If you’re a hunter or using it for light commercial use and routinely bagging 40-50 bags at a time (or more) than certainly the oil pump model is preferable. But for home use the pump on the 220 is great and maintenance free. That’s a biggie for the occasional user, for sealing for the freezer and Sous vide preparation. 
Can’t wait till they get them in!

@m61376 

excellent points 

but :

the 220 dry pump , at some point , w the moisture etc

will fail 

it is maintenance free, but not replacement free

no need to change the oil.  that's ' maintenance '

until it fails

then Big Maintenance !

this year ? next year ?  

I had a Weston way back when  

when I was starting out w SV

i realized  the Foodsavers were junk

so I tried the Weston , at about 350

not a oil pump   but that was my budget then

and im a fan of Vac;d SV

after a period of time

I ahd to send the Weston back , s the pump had failed 

I paid the shipping , and i paid the refirmising fee

that returned Item never works well , s they chose to 

put in new pads for thew seal

no mater  

then I learned the difference between and Oil pis and a non oil pup

I differ and dithers 

and got a Vac 215

I do not great it now 

more for the future.

I your chose to go w the Vac 220

currently $ 1,049 @ vacmaster 

fine. but at some point , the oilers pump will fail

not this year nor the next

but last some point

best up luck sending it back for a new files pump

I did that w the Weston

this may not happen to you in Your Life Tine

'

and that's good

but for a few bucks more

I you are going  w the VM 220

the VP 230, has thew oil pump

and is $ 150  more

I think that's a bargan

forever , as gook luck

putting a 100 lbs  back in that original container

and shipping it for a repai

just me  

I did this w the Weston

not gaping to happen again

for Just Me. 

Edited by rotuts (log)

On 7/15/2020 at 3:56 PM, rotuts said:

forever , as gook luck

putting a 100 lbs  back in that original container

If you still have the box - I had to send my machine back and the box was long gone - I had to get mucho creative 😰

p

• Confused 1

Speaking as a longtime retailer...invert the product. Position the lower packaging on the bottom of the product. Slide the box over the product. Invert box and product. Add upper packaging, close box.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 month later...

@SweetSymphonybyM 

well the item you are thinking about is 2 K USD

1 K more than the the VP 215

a workhorse for many of us.

I cant imagine what the 1 K exrra gives you ...

well its Black and has colorful buttons on the front 

so , I have no idea what the extra 1K gets you.

I doubt it will add up to 1 K 

just me saying

6 hours ago, horseflesh said:

I don't know THIS unit, but I have a different Minipack in this price range, and it's awesome. 

I'd buy from Minipack directly if that's still possible. 

I agree.  I also have minipack torre and it is an incredible machine.  Made in Italy with a Busch vacuum pump.   The only other machine that I feel is equal is a Henkelman which also uses the same Busch pumps.   

Minipack may be making them for PolyScience, but why?  Just find a good Minipack and call it good.   You can find great used machines on eBay or CL.   One nice thing on the minipacks is the label shows the manufacture date and the software shows the number of cycles on the machine.  This counter is like an odometer and cannot be reset, so is a great indicator of how used it is.  
There are a couple if their lower end models that use a DVP pump instead of a Busch.  Still good and maybe a little bit cheaper.  

Hope this helps 

• Like 1

Minipack Torre MVS45x Chamber Vacuum,  3- PolyScience/VWR 1122s Sous Vide Circulators,  Solaire Infrared grill (unparalleled sear)  Thermapen (green of course - for accuracy!)  Musso 5030 Ice cream machine, Ankarsrum Mixer, Memphis Pro Pellet Grill, Home grown refrigerated cold smoker (ala Smoke Daddy). Blackstone Pizza Grill,  Taylor 430 Slush machine. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this Unit and it arrived Saturday.  Only 8 years of dithering!

VP 95

This unit ships with oil and installation was simple.

You must download the owners manual and it is a bit lacking.

VacMaster sent me an email Thursday with special pricing.  That plus

10% off made it a no brainer.  It's a tiny thing, but will replace my

Foodsaver til I save up for a Henkelman unit.

My heart wants this, but my wallet isn't cooperating.

https://www.henkelman.com/en/vacuum-packaging-machines/neo/neo-42/

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?

Charles De Gaulle, in "Les Mots du General", 1962