• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chamber Vacuum Sealers, 2014–

Mjx

Lemon Grass is something I Vac.

its expensive and old , or just expensive if you can find a stalk or two that's reasonable 

in the 'burbs.  at Ranch 88 in Aliston , its bundled , so you can't pic out individual stalks.

each bundle seems to have a ' bad one ' but no matter.

when peeled a little bit if necessary , and cut down to about 1/2 length I Vac in a single layer :

172032522_LGVd.thumb.jpg.1a5fd94e5f37587e49df22314ae39fd2.jpg

and freeze.   I take the stalks out one at a time or so , and reseal the same bag.  the above set me back about $ 2.00 

I do the same for fresh ginger .  find a few very plump roots, trim off the little shoots  and vac the whole thing that way and freeze.

take it out Fz and coarsely grate w the coarse CuisiPro Accutecc grater.  its very sharp and works well,  no freezer burn.

the only drawback is the ginger is very difficult to slice in ' coins '  for SV or whatever you might want ginger ' coins ' for.

ginger vac'd not puctured.

Ill beg on the hunt for " blue ' ginger and galangal next trip

what ' fresh ' herbs or roots do you vac and freeze then use Fz and reseal ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

their are issues w fresh garlic vac'd , I thnk

maybe not the frozen version.  look into that when you get the chance

Hmmmm...well, I have done it for ever since I had the food saver --I vac pack and then put directly in the freezer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Woot.com has the VacMaster VP215 up for $499.99 today (10/18/19), they're a deal-a-day site so it'll only be available until midnight central time unless it sells out before that.

Edit:  Already sold out.

Edited by Coogles (log)
  • Like 2

don't forget to get your bags.

I use Vacuum sealersUnlimited

https://vacuumsealersunlimited.com/product-category/commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealer-bags-pouches/3-mil-chamber-bags/

3 MIL bags are fine

8 x 10   and  10 x 13   work well for me

they now have free shipping .   a box of these is very heavy

initially I get get a Combo 

https://vacuumsealersunlimited.com/shop/commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealer-bags-pouches/3-mil-chamber-bags/300-chamber-bag-combo-pack/

but you don't really nead it.  you can cut the bags down if you like, they are very cheap if you get at least 500 boxes.

and you will eventually use them

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Ditto the thanks, @Coogles.  I just ordered one.  I never thought I could justify the price of one of a chamber vac.  This is still a splurge but I couldn't resist the deal!

This picture at the link will show you how mine was delivered--it came on a pallet.  It was shipped on a huge semi truck that I met out on the main road because he couldn't get down my road and turn around.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2019 at 8:44 AM, Shelby said:

This picture at the link will show you how mine was delivered--it came on a pallet.  It was shipped on a huge semi truck that I met out on the main road because he couldn't get down my road and turn around.  

I was worried this deal was too good to be true but I got a shipping notice for my VP215 yesterday so it's getting closer to reality!  It's coming via UPS and supposedly will be delivered this coming Friday afternoon.  I asked to have it left at the back door - I could only choose from a drop-down, not enter any comments.  Fingers crossed! 

On 10/18/2019 at 7:45 AM, rotuts said:

My combo pack of 3 mil bags from Vacuumsealersunlimited arrived yesterday!

• Like 3

My rolling table that @Shelby recommended is being delivered today, and just now I checked on the VP215 arrival.  It says Friday and 112.4 lbs.  I think I am ready.  

To those who have one, what was the first thing you sealed to test and play with the unit?   Bags of water?  Rice?   How did you start your learning curve?

• Like 3

I think you first have to add the oil.

then set the timings on the seal / cooling.

I dont recall if it came w some bags.

Im sure @shelby  will be able to point to some info on these things on the web

possible u-tube.

congratulations !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I was worried this deal was too good to be true but I got a shipping notice for my VP215 yesterday so it's getting closer to reality!  It's coming via UPS and supposedly will be delivered this coming Friday afternoon.  I asked to have it left at the back door - I could only choose from a drop-down, not enter any comments.  Fingers crossed! 

My combo pack of 3 mil bags from Vacuumsealersunlimited arrived yesterday!

Woooo hooooo!!!!!  

3 hours ago, lemniscate said:

My rolling table that @Shelby recommended is being delivered today, and just now I checked on the VP215 arrival.  It says Friday and 112.4 lbs.  I think I am ready.  

To those who have one, what was the first thing you sealed to test and play with the unit?   Bags of water?  Rice?   How did you start your learning curve?

You will love that table.  It's perfect.

I'm so happy for those that are getting one of these wonderful machines!

This YouTube video is helpful to watch before starting up

There are also a couple YouTube vids made by the Vacmaster people that I watched.

Your machine will come with a manual that you should read first--but don't be intimidated :) Any questions you have can be googled or asked here and answered I'm sure. 

The very first thing you need to do is make sure the sealing bar is placed over the two "knobs" correctly.  I think that first YouTube video that I listed will show you that.  Second, make sure you fill your pump half way to 3/4's full of oil (the oil comes with your machine).   I could swear that my machine came with oil in it, but my brain is old so I could be delusional.  You'll be able to see in the oil window if it has oil or not. This video show how to fill the oil.  This video show how to drain the oil  which you should do after about 100 uses initially.  The oil will look cloudy and dark when you need to change it.

The only setting I ever mess with is the Vacuum setting.  Here is my chart that I use:

thumbnail_IMG_6961.jpg.b0e0917e0bf94166ab0e656a5bc2a6d7.jpg

Soup obviously meaning any liquid (broth, spag. sauce etc.)

I always leave the other two at:

Sealing-1.2

Cooling-2.0

Not that you can't fool around with it, I just haven't found the need to.

Remember to open the lid up before you turn the machine on.

And, after you have all of your settings set you need to use the set button to scroll through until the time  screen looks like this or else it won't work.

thumbnail_IMG_6962.jpg.83201f28a7e5e8afe8a83f16b73fe87b.jpg

The manual says to start with 40 as the vacuum time--that's super long.  The settings that I've listed above work best.

I jumped in the deep end of the pool because I was amazed that I could vac pac liquids.  The first thing I did was water.  It was amazing :)   Then, I moved on to broth.

Oh, and be sure that anything liquid is nice and cool before packing it---hot doesn't work.

This should get you started ok :)  We're all here if/when you need us :) 

PS--also, warn your cats.  Mine freaked out at first when it made the hissing sound and the lid opened on it's own 🤣

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

VacMaster has recommended settings for their various machines here...

https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/seal-time-product-comparison/

I usually leave mine set for 30 seconds vacuum time, for thick liquids like soups or sauces I'll have my finger hovering over the "Stop" button in case the liquid starts expanding and moves too close the open end of the bag.  I'll go to 60 seconds vacuum for fruit compression and instant pickles.

Mine did come with a sample pack of various sized bags and it did have a little oil in it when delivered, probably from QA testing at the factory.  You will need to add enough oil to reach 1/2 to 3/4 on the sight glass.  They recommend changing the oil after the first 24 hours of run time and every 60 hours of run time after that, at 30 seconds vacuum time that's about 2880 cycles before the first change and every 7200 cycles after that but keep an eye on the oil and change if it gets milky or looks dirty.

• Like 1

@Coogles

""   I'll go to 60 seconds vacuum for fruit compression and instant pickles.  ""

interesting.  you've inspired me to try some instant pickles !

there is a tip somewhere on the internet about changing the oil :

Rock the VP and put a 2 x 4 under each side.

that allows you to get under the Vp  w the appropriate wench  to loosen the bolt/screw for dranage

into a shallow dish or something disposable .

then you do some Gymnastics and re-bolt the bolt.

then add new oil.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Coogles

""   I'll go to 60 seconds vacuum for fruit compression and instant pickles.  ""

interesting.  you've inspired me to try some instant pickles !

there is a tip somewhere on the internet about changing the oil :

Rock the VP and put a 2 x 4 under each side.

that allows you to get under the Vp  w the appropriate wench  to loosen the bolt/screw for dranage

into a shallow dish or something disposable .

then you do some Gymnastics and re-bolt the bolt.

then add new oil.

my vp215 sits on a pair of 5/4 decking boards, running front to back.  I can push  the back off the edge of the filing cabinet its on far enough to reach the drain plug.  When I'm done, I just push it back.  I'm pretty sure I put some felt on the bottom to make it slide a bit easier.  It makes changing the oil pretty easy.  I do it once a year, I think the tun time suggsestons make no sense for low home usage.  I'm due to do it again, I could take photos. 

Mine did not come with oil in it.  It had some, presumably from the factory testing, but nowhere near enough to actually to run it.

Ok Kind VP215 EG'ers, I need some help.

My VP215 just arrived and has been unboxed and sits on its new table cart.

We opened up the back to access the oil port and I found a broken white rather heavy duty zip tie behind the plate.  See pic.

I believe this zip tie goes around and over the vacuum pump on this end, there is another white zip tie unbroken far more internally on the other end of the vacuum pump. 

I have sent an email off to the Vacmaster support with the pics.

I was hoping maybe someone with a VP215 could open theirs and take a picture so I can compare it with mine, especially how this zip tie should look unbroken around the vacuum pump.

IMG_8529.JPG

IMG_8528.JPG

9 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Ok Kind VP215 EG'ers, I need some help.

My VP215 just arrived and has been unboxed and sits on its new table cart.

We opened up the back to access the oil port and I found a broken white rather heavy duty zip tie behind the plate.  See pic.

I believe this zip tie goes around and over the vacuum pump on this end, there is another white zip tie unbroken far more internally on the other end of the vacuum pump. 

I have sent an email off to the Vacmaster support with the pics.

I was hoping maybe someone with a VP215 could open theirs and take a picture so I can compare it with mine, especially how this zip tie should look unbroken around the vacuum pump.

IMG_8529.JPG

IMG_8528.JPG

Give me about an hour and I’ll get right on this

4 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

@Shelby !  Awesome!   I *might* just use one of my own stock of zip ties to try a self repair.  I wanna play with this VP215!

I think you would be just fine doing your own repair.  It seems to me that it's just a stabilizer, hold in place, just in case type of thing.  It's screwed into the bottom.  I say go for it :) 

Or rather, I should say, I would have gone for it if mine had the broken tie.  

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I did the tie wrap repair, watched all the videos, studied the book, read the tips and tricks here and fired up the VP215.

Not gonna lie, I had a couple "Oops, operator error" moments.  Recovered and then it was off to the races.   I started with rice, then plain water, and just got finished re-packaging all the non-vacuum sealed things in my freezer at the moment.

I think I shall name it "Pascal".

Thanks @Shelby , @rotuts and all others for the help and advice.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I think I shall name it "Pascal".

You're a retro programming languages hobbyist?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning