• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chamber Vacuum Sealers, 2014–

Mjx

My Minipack says it will work with textured bags. They even support using it as an edge sealer. I bet you do have to mess with the seal time to get it to work. 

But like @rotuts says I've never used anything but 3 mil bags because they are cheap, convenient, and reliable. 

Could anyone link or guide me to a European (shipping to Finland) store that sells cheap yet reliable/good-quality 3-4 mil bags in rolls? I've struggled to find those rolls to be frank, so I thought I'd just go with the thicker, textured roll that's still 12 meters of 30cm bag at 16 euros. 

And paging again all Jumbo users (or I suppose Henkelman users, maybe they all have similar power cords) regarding the power cord matter (whether it's in the back and if yes, how much space does it take measured from the back of the machine). Cheers!

Yup I did that, and actually got a response too. It is located at the back of the machine, and with a regular power cord it won't work, it's too long. Now I'm emailing power cord manufacturers and re-sellers to see how long these angled cords are at minimum! With the machine taking 554mm and by cupboard being pretty much exactly 570mm, I'd need a cord that doesn't come out more than 15mm for the black area I've coloured in the picture.. Otherwise my cupboard door wouldn't close, and I don't know if I like that idea. 

Screenshot 2019-09-09 at 14.57.15.png

@EsaK

""   with a regular power cord it won't work  ""

I assume you mean  :  a standard power cord plug , that comes straight out of the the machine ,

wont curl to 90 degrees in the space you have.

if you have a " Home depot "  equivalent in your area

go there and look at the power cord connection section.

you should be able to fine an angle plug that you wire yourself w power cord , and a plug to add to the end

that would go into the power source

if you are uncomfortable doing this  , and electricity is dangerous and needs to be respected

Im sure the store will point you to someone in your area that does electrical work commercially.

good luck    love to see a pic of the final product

and your eventual machine 

@EsaK

I didn't want to bring up the cupboard  ....

but now that its in the open :

why the cupboard at all ?

counter space ?

something else ?

if you don't have counter space in the Kitchen

some have gotten a cart.  a heavy duty cart

there is no fixed reason the Vac really needs to be in the kitchen

its your kitchen is ' tight "

a friend of mine put his in another room , but it does have running water ...

Id do your best to rethink the cabinet 

of course , you can post some pic here on your kitchen , cabinet etc 

you will get some replies 

a few might be very very helpful to you.

cheers

BTW  : do you  have freezer space ?   room for a new freezer ?

if you get the SV-CVS bug

there it is.

Beware that there are other troubles, even if you solve the power cord problem. A vacuum chamber machine needs enough space around it, since it needs to pump air in and out of the chamber. If you use it in a closed space (few space around it) then you risk ruining the machine. Ask to the manufacturer what's the required free space around the machine you want to buy, so you get an idea.

Teo

Teo

Thanks again everyone! @teonzo do you think the attached pictures show a problematic space? There'd be basically no space behind the machine (well aside from 2cm that the power cord comes out from the back of the machine), and some space on the sides (I could obviously remove the shirts if it was needed), some above it when the lid is closed and plenty in front when the door is open. The Jumbo 30 is L55.4cm x W45cm x H36.5cm (lid opened it's 68cm). Unfortunately I cannot cut either that back cabinet wall nor the door, a rental apartment and I don't want to start making that kind of holes :) Though I did manage to make it 58cm from the previous 57cm by adjusting the doors forward. 

Also very curious if you have any other thoughts on potential troubles! Would be sad to buy a machine like this, just to ruin it by using it in a space that doesn't suit the purpose.. 

20190910_081720.jpg

20190910_081737.jpg

20190910_081819.jpg

• Like 1

I would definetely not put a vacuum chamber machine there, both for the machine (the space is too closed) and the shirts (if you don't remove them then you'll end up staining them, if you remove them when you use the machine then put the shirts back there then you go mad quickly).

Teo

Teo

I asked a Henkelman Service department rep, and he said after seeing the same pictures, "Please note that the back needs to ventilate a bit. You will have to keep it from the wall at least a few cm. If the sides and front are open, it should be OK."

I moved stuff around, and here's another very bad illustration (I very clearly lack the ability to draw a multidimensional box with my laptop). So from the bottom where the machine would be, it's 80cm to the top of the cabinet (and at 67cm or so there's the metal bar which could be taken away if needed). The cabinet is also about 80cm wide, I could obviously take even the last thing away from the left if it made a difference. I tried to draw the machine with its' dimensions, 55x45x36 when lid closed. With the power cord, there'd be at least the "few cm" that the rep mentions, and potentially I could move the thing that the machine would lie on, a few cm forward when using it, making the space from the back of the machine to the back wall 3-4cm or so. And just to be clear, it's an open room otherwise, so when the cabinet door is open it's a "room full of air" basically.

I unfortunately don't really have any other space in my apartment for this. @teonzo do you still see that place very potentially ruining the machine if I operate it in the cabinet? Is 3-4cm in your view enough space from machine back to the back wall? Cause it obviously makes very little sense if I buy it and put it there, just to find out that it ruins the machine some way. Very much appreciate the help on this.

20190910_183808.jpg

Is that tabletop/storage on wheels?  If so, maybe just pull the table out of closet when using the v. chamber, and then return it when done.  Also will give a lot of ventilation space.   Does the chamber have to be utilized in the storage space?  

If you just roll out, roll in, you won't need to move your clothes much, if at all.

2 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Is that tabletop/storage on wheels?  If so, maybe just pull the table out of closet when using the v. chamber, and then return it when done.  Also will give a lot of ventilation space.   Does the chamber have to be utilized in the storage space?  

If you just roll out, roll in, you won't need to move your clothes much, if at all.

Sadly no, it's not on wheels, which is why I can't move that thing more than a few cm more forward if necessary to give a few more cm ventilation at the back. 

Now I'm also thinking if I should go for example with the VacMaster VP215 which is 4cm "shorter", so there'd be close to 10cm ventilation at the back too, which I would think should at least be enough?

I think @lemniscate nailed it. If that cabinet is truly the only place to store the sealer, then I think rolling it out to a better work area is the way to go. 

The ways I use my sealer, I cannot imagine carrying bags from the kitchen counters into some other room, and then using it in a cramped space. 

Just my 0.02 American dollars. 

4 minutes ago, EsaK said:

Sadly no, it's not on wheels

Finding one the same size that is on wheels might be worth the effort. 

This is a pickle, good luck.

Edited by horseflesh (log)

Hmm, if it were me, I would put some sort of a furniture dolly or some casters under the storage unit and turn it into a rolling table.  Then it would be mobile and you can get the v. chamber you want.   But that's just me, I like things that roll and are mobile.

I would avoid putting the machine in that cabinet. First of all it's not that handy, lots of troubles for using it: the cabinet door is on the way, you have few space to move and so on, to use it properly you want some free space around and a work surface on the side to be able to lay bags on it. Second, it's not an efficient way to manage the volumes in your apartment, that cabinet needs to be filled with other things.

As the others suggested, if your logistics allow for a solution on wheels then it would be the best choice. I would look for a lower cart, so the machine lays at a lower height than the usual one for a working surface. If the working surface is around 80 cm high, then I would try to put the vacuum chamber machine on a cart that is around 60 cm high. If the machine is placed a little lower than usual then it's easier to work with it, especially when you are using bags with liquids (you want to have a good view from above to see when the bag content is getting near the sealing bars). Then I would try to build a wood box to cover it, so I have more working surface when the machine is laying on the cart and I'm not using it.

Teo

Teo

I'm at the IBIE in Vegas. There is a company called Vesta that makes sous vide products.They are selling a couple of chamber vacs - one is vertical, the other more standard. They don't weigh a ton - the upright one is only 17.5 kg. They are offering a 30% discount for a period of time after the show and a 40% discount for units purchased at the show.

Vesta Precision

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Got a reminder today about the vertical chamber vac. Still 30% off for a bit longer.

The company's phone numbers are Seattle based and London based.  I'm just having a hard time finding where the equipment is manufactured, China?  US?  EU?

@Kerry Beal do you recall any info from the show on country of manufacture for the chambers?

2 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

The company's phone numbers are Seattle based and London based.  I'm just having a hard time finding where the equipment is manufactured, China?  US?  EU?

@Kerry Beal do you recall any info from the show on country of manufacture for the chambers?

I do not - perhaps contact Leo and ask.

image001.png.2173b09d246a8a3fcd98de1e68fb5216.png

Im wondering a few things :

Chamber Vacuum Sealer - Chamber Vac Pro I

$759.00

VACUUM CHAMBER WITH PUMP FOR SMALL RESTAURANTS

Chamber Vacuum Sealer - Chamber Vac Pro II

$799.00

VACUUM CHAMBER WITH OIL PUMP FOR SMALL RESTAURANTS

these are the two more expensive chamber vacs , in a conventional configuration 

note that the 800 $$ one has an oil pump

I can't find out if the vertical has an oil pump

In not spend thius kind of mont for anything less than an oil pump.   

you will have to fix the non-oil pump evenbtually

which I had to do w the Weston

that looks a lot like :

https://www.vestaprecision.com/collections/ibie-2019-featured-products/products/vacuum-sealer-vac-n-seal-pro-i

way back when

https://www.vestaprecision.com/collections/ibie-2019-featured-products/products/vacuum-sealer-vac-n-seal-pro-ii

dry pump

keep that in mind.

reading a bit more carefully

the vertical is a dry , not and oil pump.

but an interesting idea

save , and go for Oil.

Edited by rotuts (log)

9 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I emailed the company and got this answer:

"Our products are manufactured in China and are CE, GS, RoHS, REACH, and ETL certified."

I had asked if they were UL certified, since I didn't see it on the descriptions.

If they're ETL certified, they won't be.  ETL are a NRTL, same as UL.  Little benefit, much expense, in getting a dual listing. 

(NRTL = nationally recognized testing laboratory.  People who certify that stuff meets various safety standards.  If you read a code, and it says something like "only listed appliances may be installed", they mean "appliances that one of the labs we recognize has certified to meet the appropriate standards."  UL are the best known, but not the only one.  ETL are another, there are few more, who do more limited stuff.  )

• Thanks 1