• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chamber Vacuum Sealers, 2014–

Mjx

2 hours ago, m61376 said:

on on another note- I ordered Ultrasource bags from Amazon since I could get those fastest and I needed them for July 4th Sous Vide prep, but the 3mm are kinda thin. Are other brands better and/or are most people opting for 4 or 5 mm bags?

The Ultrasource 3 mil bags are definitely thinner than what Vacuum Sealers Unlimited sells as 3 mil. However, they have worked fine for me so far. Maybe they won’t protect as well for long-term freezing, I can’t be sure yet. I sure liked the free shipping though... total cost per bag was far less.

I went through 1000 Vac Sealers Unlimited 3 mil bags and rarely needed anything thicker. In the rare event of a puncture, I just double bagged. That is a lot cheaper than trying to stock bags for every occasion. Even with the flimsier Ultrasource bags, I still feel the same. 

(Hey, I just realized I have calipers, I can measure the bags...)

8 hours ago, m61376 said:

Bought the PolyScience 300,, and loving it! Thanks to all your posts have just watched closely and hit the seal bar when boiling liquid appeared problematic (when making rum infused pineapple for grilling-wow): my decision was made based on dimensions; these units are too heavy for me to lift and too bulky to take up counter space, but a location I haven’t seemed mentioned, which works great for us, is on the pull out shelf of a pantry cabinet. I called the cabinet manufacturer and they rec. stabilizers under the bottom of the pullout to strengthen the base, but said the glides could support the 50 pound weight extended while in use. So that’s a great hidden kitchen option; just sorry I didn’t think of it 2 years ago when redoing the kitchen, or I would have had a plug installed. But I can live with using an extension cord to have this unit easily accessible but out of sight. Mentioning it because others may not have considered this storage option:

on on another note- I ordered Ultrasource bags from Amazon since I could get those fastest and I needed them for July 4th Sous Vide prep, but the 3mm are kinda thin. Are other brands better and/or are most people opting for 4 or 5 mm bags?

Having a Polyscience 300 on a pullout shelf frightens me almost as much as kale.

I use Polyscience bags in mine.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 7/15/2018 at 6:56 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Having a Polyscience 300 on a pullout shelf frightens me almost as much as kale.

I use Polyscience bags in mine.

Ha- it worried me too. But I spoke to two different experts at the cabinet manufacturer (is a medium-high end line) and they both were certain that it would be no problem, not only for storage but with using the unit with the pullout extended. When I googled the cabinet glides online it seems they're all rated either 50-100 or 75-150 pound capacity when extended. The Polyscience machine itself is only 50 pounds, so basically we're talking about maybe 60 pounds at most in weight, well within the recommended weight load. The concern, surprisingly, was for the bottom pull-out, since the bottom is only 1/2" thick wood, versus the 3/4" of the sides. They recommended stiffeners for the bottom, which although I ordered directly from them (my mistake- I thought they were metal or something for the $83 price tag- grrrr) are simply 2 half inch thick 4" wide wood pieces the depth of the pullout, glued to the bottom and secured with inset screws to the front lower lip and back edge of the bottom of the pullout. It feels rock solid, and nothing shifts even when pulled out.

The reason for my detailed explanation is hopefully to help someone else, because like you I was extremely wary of doing this, but am so excited to have the unit in a useable spot but not taking up counter space. My only regret is that I didn't incorporate this in the original design, and put an outlet in the back of the cabinet. Could get it done now, but it seems silly to incur the expense when i can simply run an extension cord.

10 hours ago, m61376 said:

Ha- it worried me too. But I spoke to two different experts at the cabinet manufacturer (is a medium-high end line) and they both were certain that it would be no problem, not only for storage but with using the unit with the pullout extended.

50 pounds is nothing for a pantry pull out.  Think what a shelf full of canned food weighs. 

27 minutes ago, dscheidt said:

50 pounds is nothing for a pantry pull out.  Think what a shelf full of canned food weighs. 

I stand corrected, though I still have all my toes.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, dscheidt said:

True, but the weight is distributed over a wider area so the load is not the same 

15 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

True, but the weight is distributed over a wider area so the load is not the same 

Which makes it four point loads of 12.5 pounds each.  Again, not much of a load, and way less than the expected loads on a pantry shelf.  I might worry about sagging over time, but it sounds like the stiffeners the OP has installed would take care of it. 

20 hours ago, dscheidt said:

Which makes it four point loads of 12.5 pounds each.  Again, not much of a load, and way less than the expected loads on a pantry shelf.  I might worry about sagging over time, but it sounds like the stiffeners the OP has installed would take care of it. 

That actually was their only possible concern, which is why they recommended the underside support "just in case."

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any experience with the VAC-VIDA VS301 Vacuum Chamber Sealer?  Specs seem quite similar to the VacMaster VP215 but it's selling on Amazon for ~ $125 less.  Only has 4 reviews, all 5 stars but Fakespot gives those reviews an F for reliability (75% questionable).  I've been saving up my credit card points/Amazon gift cards to use towards a VP215, if the VS301 is of decent quality I could afford it sooner but I don't want to end up with a $625 door stop because I was impatient.

VAC-VIDA VS301 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be eG-friendly (log)

I never did find any reviews of the VAC-VIDA sealer online, the only thing I did find is a thread (now deleted) on Reddit asking the same thing I did here (the manufacturer responded to that thread).  While I was trying to decide they sold out, then another vendor on Amazon put up a Vacmaster VP215 for $670 so I ordered one of those instead.  

Edited by Coogles (log)

• 7 months later...
12 minutes ago, horseflesh said:

I use my sealer constantly. It does take up a lot of counter space, but... it earns it. Find some way to keep it handy. You'll be glad you did. 

I would second this.  I probably use mine every other day.  I bag cheese in chunks in an oversized bag..  When I need more I just cut open the bag, grab a chunk then resell...I do this with cold cuts and nuts.  Keeps everything fresh and with just the two of us, we have less waste.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Excited about this arriving. But just realized I’m running out of kitchen space. The original plan was to have it in the basement but after watching online videos it seems really useful and I’d want it in a more convenient place. 

For reasons I fail to understand, I am required to keep my vacuum sealer in the basement, instead of somewhere sensible, like the living room.  (There really isn't a place for it the kitchen.)  I still use it a lot.  I keep some bags in the pantry, and put stuff in the bags, and then carry them downstairts (on a tray, if it's more than a couple bags).  It's not really that hard, and doesn't take too long.  A lot of the stuff I'm sealing is going into the basement freezer, so i'd be making a trip anyways.  When I go upstairs, I carry replacement bags. 

Were i designing a kitchen from scratch, I would definitely find a way to get it in, though.

• Like 2

Anyone have any good resources for vacuum sealing shelf stable ingredients? I’m worried about botulism. I think fron what I’ve read, flour, white sugar, baking soda/powder, rice, etc are fine. But I should avoid brown sugar because of its moisture. I’m also wondering about at-home dehydrated fruit.  

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

8 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Anyone have any good resources for vacuum sealing shelf stable ingredients? I’m worried about botulism. I think fron what I’ve read, flour, white sugar, baking soda/powder, rice, etc are fine. But I should avoid brown sugar because of its moisture. I’m also wondering about at-home dehydrated fruit.  

We bake a lot and I have a restaurant supply sized sack of brown sugar in a Vittles Vault. I can't even remember how old it is and there's no sign of it going off yet. For brown sugar, at least, unless you are truly storing it for the apocalypse I would not bother sealing it. 

• Like 1

I agree with what several have said, you MUST put it someplace where it can be used without having to get it out.  I have a Minipack MVS45x which is an amazing machine. It sits on a rolling cart in a craft room just off the kitchen, so easily accessible.  Honestly, it is used daily and usually several times!  

We use it for leftovers rather than tupperware since food lasts so much longer.   I vacuum pack all of my cheese, usually in a larger or longer bags so that when I use it, I just barely cut off the seal and have plenty of extra bag left to reseal it without changing the bag out.  I vacuum seal any meat that is purchased, for freezing or even if left fresh to be used in a few days. Removing the oxygen definitely extends the life beyond the typical meat market loose cellophane wrap.  If something is going to be frozen, it almost always is vacuum sealed.  meat, garlic, lemon juice, Instant dry yeast, fish fillets etc.  Cut an avocado in half and vacuum seal the other half (keeping the stone) and it will keep quite a long time in the fridge.  I am an avid sous vide cooker, so it is used for that as well.  The list is endless!

I even use it when I travel or go camping to reduce space.  It is amazing how much items shrink in a vacuum sealer!   

The bottom line is that you should put it where it can be used. If I had to take mine out every time I needed it or even to to the garage, it would never get used like it does.  

Enjoy your new sealer, mine is indispensable!

• Like 1

Minipack Torre MVS45x Chamber Vacuum,  3- PolyScience/VWR 1122s Sous Vide Circulators,  Solaire Infrared grill (unparalleled sear)  Thermapen (green of course - for accuracy!)  Musso 5030 Ice cream machine, Ankarsrum Mixer, Memphis Pro Pellet Grill, Home grown refrigerated cold smoker (ala Smoke Daddy). Blackstone Pizza Grill,  Taylor 430 Slush machine. 

On 3/24/2019 at 12:27 PM, Okanagancook said:

I would second this.  I probably use mine every other day.  I bag cheese in chunks in an oversized bag..  When I need more I just cut open the bag, grab a chunk then resell...I do this with cold cuts and nuts.  Keeps everything fresh and with just the two of us, we have less waste.

Put in the Kids bedroom..  :)

Course the kids have moved out and I converted the bedroom into my kitchen supply room

• Like 2

Its good to have Morels

23 minutes ago, Nowayout said:

I agree with what several have said, you MUST put it someplace where it can be used without having to get it out.  I have a Minipack MVS45x...

I could have written every word of this. I even have a Minipack too. It truly is one of the best kitchen tools I have ever bought. 

So is the worry about botulism toxins overhyped? I'm iffy about vacuum packing anything left at room temperature for this reason. Even in the fridge, I was reading that it's beeen recorded that some botulism spores can muliply (albeit very slowly); so I'm worried about cheese. Freeezer is a safe bet. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/