• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chamber Vacuum Sealers, 2014–

Mjx

I have been searching for a chamber sealer for a long time.  I could't really justify the cost of a new one and I really wanted one with a Busch pump.  Well I finally scored a find on Craigslist and am the proud owner of a MVS 45XII.   It is 2013 model and VERY gently used, only having 2500 cycles on the machine, basically unused!  I bought it for a real good price so I am happy!   

It does have the 2 seal bars, which is something I doubt I will use much. I may rebuild one of them with a different type, possibly a double seal.  My current bars are the 4mm seal with the 1mm cutoff seal.

One thing it does not have is gas flush.  While certainly not a mandatory feature it is something I wish it had.  I know it can be added on, so I reached out and got a quote on the minipack gas flush kit and found out the price is $625!  I am not 100% sure what the kit includes, but this seems quite expensive.

I assume it is just a solenoid and the nozzles for the chamber?

I remember someone here adding this to their minipack.  Can you tell me what is included in the kit and what you had to do to install the feature?

One other option would be to resell this unit (since I bought it so well) and purchase one with the gas flush option included.  It would probably have to be a new unit though since I have rarely seen gas flush on any used units.  I guess though I haven't seen many used unitsa available, at least not higher end with Busch pumos.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Minipack Torre MVS45x Chamber Vacuum,  3- PolyScience/VWR 1122s Sous Vide Circulators,  Solaire Infrared grill (unparalleled sear)  Thermapen (green of course - for accuracy!)  Musso 5030 Ice cream machine, Ankarsrum Mixer, Memphis Pro Pellet Grill, Home grown refrigerated cold smoker (ala Smoke Daddy). Blackstone Pizza Grill,  Taylor 430 Slush machine. 

I just did some looking at the gas flush option on the Henkelman, Sammic and Minipack.

Henkelman charges ~$212 for the gas flush option.  It comes standard on the Sammic S series and the cost is close to the same as the T series (which is without gas flush).

On the Minipack, gas flush is a $625 option on a new machine!  So their add-on kit is the same price as when ordered new with a machine.  I wonder what the kit contains to make it nearly 3 times the cost of the Henkelman?  

How would you rate these three units?  I know all have Busch pumps, so they are even there.  How would you rate the other items? (overall construction, user controls, ease of use etc).  

Edited by Nowayout
typo/clarification (log)

Minipack Torre MVS45x Chamber Vacuum,  3- PolyScience/VWR 1122s Sous Vide Circulators,  Solaire Infrared grill (unparalleled sear)  Thermapen (green of course - for accuracy!)  Musso 5030 Ice cream machine, Ankarsrum Mixer, Memphis Pro Pellet Grill, Home grown refrigerated cold smoker (ala Smoke Daddy). Blackstone Pizza Grill,  Taylor 430 Slush machine. 

Wow, great score on the Minipack!

I have a Minipack 35, and have always been interested in the gas flush option. Too bad about the cost. I don't know what's in the kit, not sure if it can be duplicated with off the shelf parts, or if it has new electronics in it as well. 

I have a Sammic 310 but have never used the gas flush capability so I am sorry but I can't help assess that function for you. I didn't buy my Sammic for that but hearing the cost of the 'add-on' for other machines, I guess I am glad mine already has it so I won't have to reinvest down the line should I need it. However, the base machine is great - I love it. My only issue is that I probably don't use it often enough to justify the initial cost. I would say it is built like a 'brick ****house' if that kind of language were allowed here. Not much 'learning curve' for a novice either (so 'user controls' are pretty simple in my opinion). Mine is equipped to do retort bags (which was a priority for me when I purchased this unit).

Sounds as though you got a great deal on your MiniPack though so you will probably be further ahead in the long run even buying the extra capability than I bought at full price.

Edited by Deryn (log)

I did get a great deal, only 2000 and it is essentially new!  :-) 

I did some more work on the gas kit.  There is a description of the kit on this schematic. Look at the bottom of page 2 and the diagrams

http://helpcenter.minipack.us/faqbookpro/Mike/FM112215_1_Ricambi_MV45X_2_Barre_Laterali_1.pdf

It looks to be some plumbing and tubing parts, 4 nozzles and a "Solenoid valve for gas" Part # FE140003 and a pressure switch part # FE470000.

Maybe I will open mine up and see if I can find the wire harness.  If so, it shouldn't be too hard to change one of the programs to gas flush and see if I get output on the wires and at what voltage.  I am guessing it will be 120v line voltage since I don't think there is a low voltage control circuit in this unit.  

Does anyone have a closeup pic of what the gas flush nozzles look like on a minipack, or actually any unit?  

So I took the back off of my MVS45XII last night and it looks like there isn't anything already installed for the gas flush kit other than the wires for the gas solenoid and pressure switch and holes drilled in the tub for the nozzles (plugged with an allen bolt with a nut on the backside).  So I would need everything in the KR450A13 kit, including the plumbing parts.  I am pretty confident I could source the pressure switch and solenoid at a significant savings.  The pressure switch just closes the circuit when there is adequate pressure (~20-50 psi) on the gas inlet.  This is to avoid the gas flush running without anything attached or when the gas tank is low.   The solenoid is a very common item easily sourced locally. 

But it may not be worth it after looking at all the various plumbing parts and needing to rig some type of bulkhead fitting for the nozzles that protrude through the chamber tub (they would have to withstand the vacuum as well).

I guess I will start to save to justify the ~$625 kit price.  :-)

Thanks for looking in to this. I bought a Minipack in part because I wanted the option for gas flush, but I never pursued it. After using my sealer for a couple of years I am not honestly sure how much use I'd get out of the gas flush add-on, so I would love to hear from anyone who has one. 

• 2 weeks later...

How does the gas flush work for things such as Artisan Breads?  Does it help at all if I was going to freeze a loaf?  How long would it extend the life at room temperature on the counter?  

I know there is nothing better than a fresh loaf out of the oven, or merely a few hours old, but I often bake a bit too much and would like to save a loaf or two for a few days.  Also would Nitrogen or carbon dioxide be best?

59 minutes ago, Nowayout said:

How does the gas flush work for things such as Artisan Breads?  

This is what I am most interested in, too. If I can use a nickel of plastic and gas to extend the life of $5 of bread, that would be great. 

• 1 month later...

For those interested in a chamber vacuum sealer, Webstaurantstore is having a sale through 5/25/16.

Here is a link to it: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-vacmaster-vp112s-chamber-vacuum-sealer/120VMASVP112.html

This is the same one I have and I love it. Through 5/25 it's just $478.99 with free shipping when you use the coupon code VMASTER. 

Edited by mgaretz
Fixed date from 2018 to 2016 (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I have this one as well and has worked flawlessly for me. There are better ones out there, but what convinced me was its relative light weight compared to oil pump models.

p

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the VP112S; but it doesn't seem to be sealing correctly. According to their website food saver bags should work with the chamber sealer, but I'm having trouble getting anything to seal. I've set it to the max vacuum and seal time level without any success. I've been trying to vacuum some dried pasta. 

The black seal bar doesn't seem to be making contact with the seal bar on the bottom. When the machine runs, the lids seems to be locked into place. I would have to pull quite hard to open the lid at that point, so I know there some sort of seal going on. The issue seems to be that after the timer finishes, I don't hear any air being let back into the chamber. The machine just stops running and the seal time starts. It makes me think that I perhaps installed the black seal pad on the lid and the bottom gasket incorrectly, but as far as I can tell they can only be installed one way. 

Have you guys run into an issue like this before?

Food Saver bags don't work with the VP112S, as far as I can tell. (I have the "non-s" VP-112 and it doesn't use them.) The VacmasterFresh site and the first few vendor descriptions I looked at only mention using chamber vacuum bags. The waffling/channels on the FS bags gets in the way of a proper seal. 

1 hour ago, PositiveMD said:

The issue seems to be that after the timer finishes, I don't hear any air being let back into the chamber. The machine just stops running and the seal time starts. It makes me think that I perhaps installed the black seal pad on the lid and the bottom gasket incorrectly, but as far as I can tell they can only be installed one way. 

The machine will seal after the vacuum timer has completed its cycle; air only comes back into the chamber after the seal cycle has finished. If it sealed the bag after air had re-entered the chamber, there'd be air in the bag. Do you hear the air coming back into the chamber when the sealer's done? 

Edited by btbyrd (log)

13 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Food Saver bags don't work with the VP112S, as far as I can tell. (I have the "non-s" VP-112 and it doesn't use them.) The VacmasterFresh site and the first few vendor descriptions I looked at only mention using chamber vacuum bags. The waffling/channels on the FS bags gets in the way of a proper seal. 

Unless that unit has really crappy seal bars, I doubt that. The "waffled" bags probably don't get mentioned because they are more expensive and being able to use chamber vacuum bags is a "feature" that can be promoted.

You're probably right. I see that the Vacmaster UK site says that FS bags will work with all of the VM machines. I've never bother to try with mine, but have heard people say that the waffling is the reason that the Foodsaver bags aren't recommended. Never anyone authoritative though. At any rate, the manuals and spec sheets don't even mention non-chamber bags.

Is the seal bar on the bottom popping up when the seal cycle starts? You can hear it knock against the bar in the lid if it's working properly.

I don't hear any air coming in when the cycle is done. The motor simply stops and the seal cycle starts on the display. 

I bought some chamber bags online though, so I will be able to test it with them once they come in.

Oh, the seal bar is suppose to go up? I guess that's the explanation that makes the most sense. I was wondering how black seal pad was suppose to reach the seal bar. As far as I can tell, the seal bar isn't popping up. 

My model doesn't have a gauge. It only has a display that tell me the amount of time left to vacuum. 

I'm referring to the seal pad that the seal bar is suppose to touch when the sealing process starts. I'm referring to this . 

Now that I think about it, I remember seeing an error code in the manual saying that the vacuum wasn't achieved. My display doesn't show any error codes. I am thinking now that the issue is linked to the seal bar not coming up. 

I do not have this model.

but I recall there are issues in properly seating the cover to get a seal.

this has something to do with the complicated hinge systemm

work on that first.

then

does this machine allow you to set the ' seal time ' in seconds ?

there might be a seal time and a cool-downj time of the seal mechanism that you can set.

if you get that far , the textures bags might head a longer seal time on the hot bars as they might be thicker due to the texture on one side.

good luck !

Do you have any recommendations for getting the proper seating? I've jiggle the cover a bit, and as far as I can tell it lids sits comfortably on the rubber gasket. 

Yes. I've set the seal time to the maximum amount of time (6 secs). I know the seal bar is turned on since the seal bar is warm and the bag only has marks on one side. I cut the tops off of some cheapo zip lock bags and they only seem partially sealed. 

That being said, I have proper chamber bags coming in soon. 

4 minutes ago, PositiveMD said:

Do you have any recommendations for getting the proper seating? I've jiggle the cover a bit, and as far as I can tell it lids sits comfortably on the rubber gasket. 

Sad that you don't have a guage or some indication of the vacuum being developed, re the seating of the cover, I sometimes have to apply pressure to the lid on various corners/sides to get the seal airtight. As mine has a guage I can see the vacuum developing when I have a good seal.

p