• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chamber Vacuum Sealers, 2014–

Mjx

My VP 215 arrives today... I have not ordered any additional bags.  Thus the 3mil vs 4mil debate for me  I guess it will come down to the cost difference, if it's much at all - loosing 1 bag now and then might be a no big deal kind of thing.

the difference between 3 mil and 4 mil is about 2 cents a bag.

the time to rebag the rare failure is worth that to me, esp if the failure is in the freezer where the contents might sit

for " quite some time "

of course, Id like the company to sell me 500 bags, at 0.60 x the cost of 1000 bags.

sometimes getting things done, finito, is worth the small one time additional cost.

We just have different priorities... I am all about minimizing per-bag cost. I definitely see where you are coming from though. 

I too would like to buy smaller quantities. I bought one size I was unsure of... Have used it maybe 4 times. I have a lot of those darn bags still... 

When I started using the chamber vac I still had a few rolls of bags from my strip sealer.  They cut fine to fit the application and work fine in the chamber vac.  (A little bit PIA though....)   Often on sale, they would be worth exploring if trying to minimize per use cost.

I think you are going to love it.

I just vac's 20 lbs of SweetMaria's green coffee in smaller bags,  3 large est bags and 3 smallest bags

a joy to use.

pic your spot carefully, you are not going to be moving it around !

It's now sitting on a 12' counter.   I need to add oil - maybe later today but more likely this weekend.  At least it survived the unpacking :)

The lid is thicker then I imagined - in person you can see just how beefy this thing is.

there is an " adding oil vid " somewhere that will help you a lot 

I've watched it eons ago when I was researching all this  - I went looking for it on Sunday night and couldn't find it anywhere.  I did watch it a few times many moons ago so I'm pretty sure I'll be OK - reading the manual brought back memories of that vid.

its very simple :  you rock the Beast one way, place a 2 x 4 under that end, then rock it the other way and place a 2 x 4 under that

then take off the back panel, etc the oil screw etc and add the oil.  let it sit for a minute or sow and check the 'level'

It might need an extra squirt of oil

then when you are satisfied w the oil level  do the same in reverse  

Done !

A few general comments.  I've had my VacMaster VP112 for about 4 years and can't really complain.  The lid has been replaced two times under warranty with overnight shipping at no cost.  Like daveb says it is a heavy 50# but it fits on conventional counter tops and once in place I don't move it. For home use the 12-inch width is great since you can double up when sealing 6-inch x 10-inch bags.  The 6x10 will hold 2 cups of ingredients or 1# of sausage in bulk or when formed into 3 links.  I also use 12x12 bags with all bags being 3 mil.  If I am sealing food with pointy ends (shrimp, crabs, bones) I sandwich the food between spare bags, cardboard, etc.  

Today I got a deal on pink eye purple hull peas and it was snap to bag them for the freezer  23 pints in vac bags saves a lot of freezer space.  

P1030098rs.jpg

P1030099rs.jpg

P1030100rs.jpg

• Like 1

I just got my VP215 the other day and wanted to flash pickle some cucumbers I have for family and neighbors, since I just received about 30 of them.

Can someone give me a good recipe and possible times to try for this?

Thank you and will share my thought and experiences with this on different foods.

• Like 1

One other question? Is there a guide anyone goes by for sealing different veggies, meat, etc. on a VP215? 

We seal green beans and corn today. Just want to make sure time are correct for different items. This is for freezing.

I would also like to know about fish or meat for SV.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Im not quite sure what you are asking about.

Im quite new to the 215, although Ive had a Weston for 3 - 4 years.  A textured sealer that did not have an oil pump

the Weston has served me well and is still doing well.

for me, new to the chamber, I choose to seal with the 'Stop' just before I sense some 'boiling'

I cant say if this is the best or tasty-est method, but that what i do for now.

I just got my VP215 the other day and wanted to flash pickle some cucumbers I have for family and neighbors, since I just received about 30 of them.

Can someone give me a good recipe and possible times to try for this?

Flash pickling is a technique that's best done relatively close to when you'll be eating the pickle. The reason for this is that the process removes the air from the cucumber's cells and replaces it with brine. At the end, the cucumber ends up holding much more liquid at the end of the process than at the beginning, so it'll get soggy relatively quickly. So it's not the best technique for pickling a bunch of cucumbers and giving them to friends to eat later. But regardless, when you do this any standard brine recipe that you find online will work well. Unlike normal pickling, it doesn't take much brine to get the job done. When I'm feeling really lazy, I'll take a bit of brine out of some Claussen pickles and use that. Just put some in the bag with your veg and then pull a vacuum for the longest time you can. Your brine will boil quite vigorously, so don't overfill the bag (or it might leak out the front). It's as simple as that!

I've tried it with lots of stuff. If you haven't injected booze into watermelon yet, you should do it. Compressed melon is beautiful, and the fact that you can make it alcoholic is an even better plus. I've used it to quick pickle onions and summer squash, infuse olive oil and balsamic into tomatoes for caprese salad, and infuse gin into cucumber for an edible martini. For pickles, any standard brine recipe will work but you won't need nearly as much brine as if you were doing a traditional pickle. One of the coolest things is how the appearance changes as the air gets sucked out; cucumbers and onions turn transparent and you can see all their inner bits. Melon becomes darker and more vivid in color; watermelon looks like raw tuna and honeydew takes on a vivid bright green color (even greener if you add Midori).

Cucumber pickles:

pickle that.jpg

Edible cucumber martini planks:

cucumber_gin_infusion.jpg

Tequilla infused watermelon:

tequilla_watermelon.jpg

• Like 3