• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide and egg whites in custards

cteavin

I got my sous vide last week. One of the first applications was the Crème brûlée I'd heard so much about -- it came out perfect. I searched online for a lower calorie custard, but every recipe uses cream and/or yolks, no whites. I decided to make a custard 1 part whole egg to two parts liquid (no starch), 83 degrees Celsius, 30 minutes. It set in the bag. I poured it in moulds and when cooled it tasted fine, but wasn't what I was looking for. 

Without going through dozens of eggs and liters of milk, does anyone have either a recipe for whole egg custard Sous Vide style, or some suggestions for my next batch? 

Thanks,

I suppose you could try hydro colloids? Carrageenan, gelatin. Not a true custard. Have a search around I think you'll find some ideas if you wanted to go that route.

Other then that modernist cuisine has a table for you. Do you have this book(s)

Not sure what the copyright rules are for these forums for me posting that.

I suppose you could try hydro colloids? Carrageenan, gelatin. Not a true custard. Have a search around I think you'll find some ideas if you wanted to go that route.Other then that modernist cuisine has a table for you. Do you have this book(s)Not sure what the copyright rules are for these forums for me posting that.

Thanks for the reply.

Apparently copy write was breeched, as I can't see anything. ;-)

What page is it on? I have a (gasp) pirated copy.

What I really would like to know is if egg whites will work and is high fat necessary for sous vide. Any opinion?