• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried fish dishes

heidih

One of the weekly advertising flyers yesterday included dried seafoods on sale. The market caters to a Hispanic buying base and is bilingual. I was wondering what traditional dishes are made with these and if they were perhaps prepared primarily during Lent. The founders of the chain of markets (Northgate)are from Jalisco.

The advert had fish listed as Charal Seca @ $8.99/lb (dry smelt) - whole fish, Robala Seca @ $11.99/lb(dry snook fish - whole fish), and Bacalao Seca @ $9.99/lb (dry cod fish - headless in maybe 12" lengths). They also had Camaron Molida (dry ground shrimp) and Camaron Seca (dry shrimp) @ $9.99 and $19.99 respectively.

Our daughter's BF is a terrific cook, from Grenada originally. He always cooks something when he comes to our house and often with dried fish, in his case King Mackerel. I couldn't tell you the names of any dishes he cooks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks PV. I realize that the most effective way to gain realistic information would be to go to the market and talk to the shoppers. Have not had the free time but if I do I shall report back.