• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-chocolate self-saucing pudding cakes

powerdog

I like the cakes that use a chocolate/hot water mixture poured on top, which transforms into a bottom layer of sauce. But I'd like to branch out from chocolate. Ever try a different flavor, and if so, what were the alternate ingredients?

I'm thinking of trying a butterscotch flavored cake, by browning butter, then adding brown sugar and hot water to make the sauce. Brown sugar and vanilla in the cake itself.

I think the lemon one is called "lemon delicious" - certainly google brings up lots of recipes with that name. Haven't had it for a long time but it's very light and fluffy, I don't think you add water on top like with a chocolate pudding, I think the pudding just ends up floating on sauce.

I wonder if the cocoa powder (in the chocolate sauce) is what gives it some body, or if some of the flour from the cake part migrates into the sauce. I might try my idea for browned butter, brown sugar, and water, but I think it might be too thin.

Butter Rum Pudding Cakes Source: Fine Cooking Mar 2005 page 65
(8 servings)
  • 2 ounces butter melted
  • cup dark brown sugar
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 ⅓ cups milk
  • 3 tablespoons rum
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ¼ cup sugar
Beat eggwhites with 1/4 cup sugar to med soft peaks. Whisk remaining ingredients together. Fold in whites. Bake in 8 buttered ramakins in water 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

• Like 1