• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Wine Are You Drinking Today?

Okanagancook

22 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Intersect by Lexus - currently featuring David Kinch's Manresa.

Interesting concept and location and by a car company?   Had no idea it existed.  Pretty space.  Did you do the 14 course?  

That wasn't chicken

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

These two were drank with dessert last night...

image.thumb.png.0a9d63811fe6ff73ed8ea88539875865.png

image.png.b463b0e8c0ae159700c2442914910567.png

The Madeira, in particular, was quite delicious. The Coteaux wasn't bad either. Lovely to see some wines with age on them in an NYC restaurant.  Not that easy to find at this price point.  (Man, we missed going out!)

Nice.... I'm a big fan of Madeira.  Years ago, I had the unbelievable privelage of tasting an 1875 vintage.... Jesus was that good... it ruined me!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Interesting concept and location and by a car company?   Had no idea it existed.  Pretty space.  Did you do the 14 course?  

No - those were pretty limited and sold out quickly - you had to pre reserve and sit at counter.

10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Nice.... I'm a big fan of Madeira.  Years ago, I had the unbelievable privelage of tasting an 1875 vintage.... Jesus was that good... it ruined me!

With one of the desserts we had, it was great. But...1875...wow! I can understand how everything after might pale.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 minutes ago, weinoo said:

No - those were pretty limited and sold out quickly - you had to pre reserve and sit at counter.

With one of the desserts we had, it was great. But...1875...wow! I can understand how everything after might pale.

I always thought Manresa was all about showcasing produce they grew in their garden? I don't know if that's true - I've never been there, but saw an interview with David Kinch once many years ago.

The unbelievable thing about that 1875 was that it wasn't that expensive, relatively.  Madeiras are typically a really good value, and it's not like an old port that you have to finish the bottle soon after opening (Coravin doesn't work so well on ridiculously old corks in not that great of shape) - madeiras last forever - they're indestructable!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I always thought Manresa was all about showcasing produce they grew in their garden?

Certainly one of the reasons to go to the OG.

We ordered focusing on showcasing proteins; and although garden grows year-round, some of the summer vegetables are certainly not available to them in the winter/spring, at least not from their garden.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 months later...

A 2017 vintage of this was enjoyed with the Gumbo I posted over in Dinner.

1193045809_LeDebutNonVintage141x480.png.2c5cc994050c2f34f745edc000b46d3d.png

HdV makes 3 different Chardonnays, this is the one made with the youngest vines.  I've been drinking wine made from these vines since 2012 vintage and they were planted in 2010, it's interesting how age affects the wine.

It's French style made in Napa (By a French winemaker), also one of the few Napa Chardonnays I really like.

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 1

Well how bout last night!!

W --- #TEDLASSO

Tablas Creek ( sister of Beaucastel )--Paso   /   Roussanne

Only had couple glass..  finish tonight  (  Stellar wines from TC  )

51388668648_44e90b7e45_m.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 1

Its good to have Morels

• 3 months later...

Me?  Old Vine Zinfandel.

It's pretty much my go-to everyday red winde.

We used to do the Willamette Valley wine tours and brought home cases of Bogle wines.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My wife received a very nice gift the other day. I don't drink very often, but I had a hunch it would be worth it.

20211211_202307_HDR.thumb.jpg.232451fd7cdd46de75f1ddff1f32be50.jpg

30 year old VORS Amontillado, limited bottling.

20211211_202906_HDR.thumb.jpg.8642b275e0778ea7ff14f37b59d50626.jpg

Nose of walnuts and caramel but bone dry - almonds and walnuts on the palate with a really interesting saline finish. Yum.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

• 1 year later...

Not a wine connoisseur, but I've enjoyed Verdejos in Spain where we often vacation. 

Espied one at my local Ajijic liquor store and bought it last week. 

It's a nice one, at least IMO. 

verdejo.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Not a wine connoisseur, but I've enjoyed Verdejos in Spain where we often vacation. 

Espied one at my local Ajijic liquor store and bought it last week. 

It's a nice one, at least IMO. 

verdejo.jpg

I don't know anything about that varietal. How would you describe it? Is it similar to the Portuguese Vinho Verde?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I don't know anything about that varietal. How would you describe it?

Here's one I put on hold earlier today:

image.png.79b4aff9ef6cce483265d110f5462a0c.png

Edited by Alex
to reword (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

13 hours ago, Smithy said:

I don't know anything about that varietal. How would you describe it? Is it similar to the Portuguese Vinho Verde?

I never compared side by side, but have had 'green' wines in both countries and find them similar.  I consider them crisp, not sweet.  Goes well with foods that you would normally drink with white wines.  Closer to Pinot Gris than a Chardonnay.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Found another Portugal cellar's vino verte today at liquor store here in Ajijic Mexico.  Refreshing and an artistic label, too!

Porta6vinoverte.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Found another Portugal cellar's vino verte today at liquor store here in Ajijic Mexico.  Refreshing and an artistic label, too!

Porta6vinoverte.jpg

I'd buy that for the label alone! Once, at least. 🙂

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm not even sure what a Pinotage is, but it's tasty!  Guessing related to a Pinot Noir?

fishhoek.jpg

Edited by gulfporter (log)

1 hour ago, gulfporter said:

I'm not even sure what a Pinotage is, but it's tasty!  Guessing related to a Pinot Noir?

fishhoek.jpg

I'm glad you like it!  According to this article and many others (all of which may be quoting the same source, of course) Pinotage is a cross between Pinot Noir and Cinsault, developed in 1925. I have to admit I don't like it. It is very distinctive, and the wines I've had containing it have had an unpleasant (to me) aroma. The article I've linked to says that Pinotage got a bad rap but it's time to give it another try. Good for you for trying it!

• Like 2