• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Toliver

Taco Bell 2014 -

I'm with TftC on the crunchy tacos, eaten immediately, with a packet of mild sauce. About three at a time, about every six months.

• Like 1

Born and raised in Southern California and we sure as heck never referred to TacoBell as Tex Mex. It started, as what at the time, was standard at local taco places (like this standard http://titostacos.com/  ) and over time has embraced soft tacos and other items including the crazy stuff.  Kind of like what are referred to as American Chinese standards - Americanized renditions, often of Cantonese roots. I haven't eaten there is maybe 25 years, but I do see the ads.

Edited by heidih (log)

In Portland (OR) we had a chain of Mexican restaurants called Baja Fresh.  Love, love, loved it.

There were about four or five of them scattered around the city.  My favorite lunch place...they had fabulous burritos.  And, every one of their places was clean as a whistle, they had personnel  constantly cleaning.

All the staff was Latino.

My youngest kid (12) has gone on this Taco Bell kick for an after school snack, before she goes to work.  (She cleans horse stables.)    It all started with those Mountain Dew Freezy things this summer.  My kids all have issues with dairy, so instead of going to Dairy Queen- right next to the Taco Bell, I hit the Drive thru at TB  thinking I could get a Dew for them.  Then I saw the freeze, and the ad for $1 Freeze during happy hour which is 2-5pm- which seemed like a perfectly reasonable cold treat.   (should be happy HOURS).   Anyway, the kid saw it, started drooling over the chicken Quesadilla pic, so I gave in to her incessant whining, and got her one.  Now, on her once-a-week Friday drive-thru, she goes for the Quesadilla Box, which has the Chicken and Cheese Q, a soft chicken taco and a Dorito shell crunchy taco. Plus a freeze.  Then she goes to work.  

Im not crazy about the place like the kids are, but they do have a couple good salad choices, which are okay for a quick fix.   I never get sauces there, either.   I guess all late night trips to Taco Bell in college, sitting there with friends, cleaning pennies in the hot sauce - made me wary of the contents. O.o   

The early Taco Bells never had dine-in space. You would go up to the window and place your order and when you received it, they had cement benches (with mosaic tiles in them) and tables to sit at and eat. They also usually had an open fire pit (with fire) out front. In-house dining (and drive-thru's) came much later. I drive past an old Taco Bell location every day on my way to work that is now a dentist's office. It messes with my head sometimes when I see it. :S xD

And I still miss the Bell Beefers...their taco meat on a hamburger bun, sort of like a Sloppy Joe.

Regarding Baja Fresh, there's one just down the street from me. The food I've had there was good but I never go there during regular daytime hours anymore. It's in a horribly designed shopping center/strip mall and the parking situation is atrocious so "no thank you". ¬¬

• Like 1

"Taco Bell to roll out $1 nacho fries"

Starting on January 25, Taco Bell will begin selling $1 nacho fries in a limited release.

The fries will feature "bold Mexican seasoning" and include a side of nacho cheese dipping sauce, according to the company.

In test markets the fries were a success. Now it's been added company-wide.

It will be interesting to see how other fast food companies react to this "value" item being launched at Taco Bell.