• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Toliver

Taco Bell 2014 -

34 posts in this topic

Actually, the Taco Bell we go to occasionally has the green sauce in packets!

2 people like this

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

45 minutes ago, MSRadell said:

Actually, the Taco Bell we go to occasionally has the green sauce in packets!

Could you do us a favor, the next time you are there? Grab a few packets and post the ingredients. We'd really appreciate it!

1 person likes this

2 people like this

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist, contrarian and natural born skeptic who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it! 

I couldn't read the ingredients on the packet photos linked, but I found this. It sounds much more up my alley than mayo-based anything with even Americanized Mexican food.

"Border Sauce - Salsa Verde

Water, green chili peppers, tomatillos, corn syrup, vinegar, corn starch, salt, dried bell pepper, onion, spices, sodium benzoate & potassium sorbate (P), natural flavor, lime juice concentrate, garlic extract (contains soy). Contains: Soy [certified vegan]"

No mayo gook anywhere. :) Thanks, @Lisa Shock, @MSRadell and @DiggingDogFarm.

1 person likes this

> ^ . . ^ <

19 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

garlic extract (contains soy)

I'm baffled. I've been trying to extract soy from garlic for years. Well, seconds anyway. Distinct lack of soy in any garlic that I can find. What the heck does that even begin to mean?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm with you @liuzhou. Our government allows a lot of leeway for big food business, which has them firmly in their pocket. Government does make concessions for people with life threatening allergies, and so God and Big Ag alone know what else is in that "garlic extract" besides soy, which of course, should NOT be there. Soy is a recognized allergen here. You just about cannot eat out in this country unless you are not really allergy prone, do a whole bunch of detailed research, or stick to mom and pop like places with proprietors and service people who actually know what they are cooking with. I guarantee you if you tell a minimum wage Taco Bell employee that you are allergic to X and ask if it is in an offering they have, they won't know.

You won't be any happier reading what's in their seasoned ground beef that they use to fill tacos, burritos, etc. I read somewhere it's only 80% beef. From the Taco Bell website and linked upthread:

"Seasoned Beef
Beef, water, seasoning [cellulose, chili pepper, maltodextrin, salt, oats (contains wheat), soy lecithin, spices, tomato powder, sugar, onion powder, citric acid, natural flavors (including smoke flavor), torula yeast, cocoa, disodium inosinate & guanylate, dextrose, lactic acid, modified corn starch], salt, sodium phosphates. Contains: Soy, Wheat"

I still get cravings for Taco Bell. I know it is crap, but when I don't feel like cooking and have little money, they still get my business at times. I'm not allergic to any food ingredients, and for that I am very thankful. If I went into anaphylaxis in reaction to a food ingredient as some people do, I would have to eat at home 100% of the time. As much as I love cooking, that might compromise my sanity, such as it is. :)

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes Added clear credit for quote (log)

> ^ . . ^ <

8 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I still get cravings for Taco Bell. I know it is crap, but when I don't feel like cooking and have little money, they still get my business at times.

I'll confess I only wandered into this conversation by accident and I've never been in a Taco Bell.

But I have had the misfortune to eat in other Yum! Foods outlets. I nearly called them restaurants, by mistake.

1 person likes this

I don't eat there often, but, locally anyway, they always seem to get good health department ratings. I am a vegetarian, so I mostly just eat things like the bean burrito, tostada, and occasionally the quesadilla. Years ago, I was really disappointed to find out the rice has chicken in it. I like that they have options like adding extra vegetables. I'd patronize a local place, but, they all put lard in the beans. The one place that didn't just closed. Anyway, if I am hungry and need a quick bite, I know I can get something filling that isn't fried, and has some vegetables in it.

1 person likes this

I had cooked and eaten every single meal at home for over two weeks and needed a break, so Taco Bell was on my radar. I had a couple Spicy Tostadas, hold the chipotle sauce, add white onion. I stopped at the grocery store on the way to the restaurant food outlet to grab a few items and picked up a bunch of fresh cilantro. I also picked up a golden honeydew melon, which I haven't seen before, just so's you know I don't eat junk food all the time. :)

I washed and chopped up some of the cilantro when I got home and snowed it over the tostadas after dousing each one with about eight little packets of Taco Bell hot sauce. Weirdly, to me, the Hot is hotter and more flavorful than their Fire sauce. I also had a crunchy taco (unadulterated, at least by me) and a Beefy Mini Quesadilla. Unfortunately, the  $1.00 quesadilla comes with the soy/mayo based chipotle sauce, so I had them hold it. You can add onions or (very mild) red sauce to any item at Taco Bell for free, so this is what I had them do for my quesadilla. I also doused it with many packets of hot sauce after nuking it for about 40 seconds and added some iceberg lettuce and cilantro to it. So it was a very satisfying meal that hit my craving spot. It rang in at 800 calories, 29 grams of protein and $4.19 plus tax. My version may have been less calories because I had them ditch the soy oil chipotle sauce, and everything I added did not have many calories. That's all I will eat today, except for three Corona Lites with lime wedges, and it's plenty for me.

The husband had the Smothered Burrito, Burrito Supreme and Steak Quesadilla. His was $10.17 plus tax, but he's got over half the Smothered Burrito and part of the quesadilla left for lunch tomorrow.

Just for laughs, here's a quote from the Taco Bell website on the ingredients in their steak:

"Marinated Grilled Steak: Beef, water, seasoning (modified potato starch, natural flavors, salt, brown sugar, dextrose, carrageenan, dried beef stock, cocoa powder, onion powder, disodium inosinate & guanylate, tomato powder, corn syrup solids, maltodextrin, garlic powder, spice, citric acid, lemon juice powder), sodium phosphates. Sauce: Water, seasoning (natural flavors, dextrose, brown sugar, salt, dried beef stock, onion powder, tomato powder, corn syrup solids, maltodextrin, disodium inosinate & guanylate, garlic powder, spices, cocoa powder, citric acid, lemon juice powder)."

So it's definitely not a place for people with food allergies or an aversion to unpronounceable ingredients.

Sadly, my franchise does not carry the Salsa Verde green sauce, but I remember seeing it in one in Raleigh many years ago near where I used to work. That's fine, though, because I'm such a fan of their red Hot Sauce I buy it by the bottle in my grocery store.

2 people like this

> ^ . . ^ <